OCR00124 - Shadow of the Beast "Journey"

m68030

• 2 months later...

Having listened to all mutagene's Shadow of the Beast ReMixes, then listening to this one, a big change occurs: IT'S HAPPY! YAY! All Mutagene's are awesome, didn't mean to make people think I only like happy songs.

The melody here REALLY sticks to you. If you're like me, and haven't played this game, and like the melody, and have listened to a ton of other remixes from games you haven't played, and like THEIR melodies, then this melody falls under the catagory of "I can recognize this from the first note!".

Man that was pointless, but the melody is definitely the strong point in this one. One part is played a lot. Definitely sounds like a journey.

You will get this and remember it!

• 7 months later...

Now this one I like. While it is just a touch repeatative, it's got a nice melody with a good selection of synths and instruments, and improvs on top of the original songs composition. It's more "cheery" than the original (the whole game is filled with brooding, but great music), but it doesn't leave the originals mood completely behind... as such, it shifts back and forth between the two moods and makes itself stand out more from the original.

The ending is a bit abrupt, but that's just a nit pick really.

Nice work.

• 5 months later...

doubt anyone could even begin to comprehend the deliriously happy mood this song puts me in. is it the deep bass? no. the constant state of progression that drives the mix along? no. the lead melody with its wistful 80s tone? no. while those things do indeed help, it’s the ocarina-type instrument at 3:10 that transcends all. makes me feel like i’m taking a long stroll through the desert

• 3 weeks later...

While I agree that its cheerier than the other remixes of SotB, I also agree that its too repetetive.

I also dont like how synthetic it sounds...

...nah, I couldnt really get into this one like I could the others.

That little run on the panpipes clenched it...I dont like this one.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Such a nice clean sound. Very open and broad. The piano and bellish

pads have a wonderful ring and blend together quite well. The drums

also do not over power the rest of the sound. It's a little fragile sounding,

but it's such a great arrangement it just fits together. Cool.

Gotta pretty much agree with Matt on this one. Solid stuff. It's too sparse for my tastes, but what IS in place works well.

• 1 month later...

Wow...

I have every OCRemix on my iPod, and I was playing all my songs randomly when I stumbled across this song.

Firstly, this reminds me SO much of one of my favorite theme songs of all time: Just Communication by Two-Mix (1st Gundam Wing opening theme song).

Overall, just a great song to chill to.

• 11 months later...

While it is true that this mix is a little repetitive, there are various other aspects which really make up for this. The bells used in the intro and later on in this song sound very nice, and the flute it in the end adds a nice touch to the melody. I wish the drums were a little stronger, though.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

When I listen to this, I think and feel "autumn": leaves losing their green and falling to earth; the mid-to-late years in one's life; sitting on a front porch and watching the sun sink below the horizon... the whole mix brims with a relaxing joy. Moving from the source's ancient and mysterious feel to a more upbeat path almost turns the title theme into credits music even, ha ha.

Simply magical.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

A little more strength and this could be like the Ys "The Boy's Got Wings". ^_^

Even so, it still has power. :) Uplifting... determination. :D *grins* And I love the old school feeling. This could fit well as credits for an older game - or an older game montage. X3 Love it! ^w^

• 1 year later...

Okay, now see, I like this. While you can hear the age, the direction of where this mix was headed is something I could get behind. Much like Tilly said, some more strength to the mix would have been great, but it really fits some sort of feeling of conclusion, like a credits theme or some heroic montage to turn things around. I'd really love to hear this one revisited and redone by today's standards and production values, cause that would be damn awesome. Appropriate title name for this ReMix based on the vibe it gives.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00124 - Shadow of the Beast "Journey"