Super Metroid: Classical Maridia

ylwsub68

As you could probably tell, this is a classical arrangement from the Maridia area on Super Metroid. More specifically, the Rocky Underwater area. Even more specifically, it's all strings. I thought it turned out pretty good. But obviously, I wouldn't be posting on this forum if I didn't want you guys to check it out and tell me what you think.

This is my first actual ReMix in like 2-3 years, since my last rejected submission. My musical taste and influence has changed quite a bit since then, so I thought I'd give it another shot.

http://www.jon.trucex.com/Super_Metroid_Classical_Maridia_OC_ReMix.mp3

Right click and save as, of course.

All questions and comments welcome. Thanks in advance for the suggestions, praises, and constructive criticisms.

It's really boring to listen to. Lighten up a tad on the reverb, as it's strings and only strings. More movement, ie more dynamics. More articulations. Overall more humanization. Every mix has potential to be outstanding, and this especially. There is so much you can do to to make this beautiful and flourishing. Try to work with how to make the voices enhance the actual mood. For example, upward scales sweeping across the bass/high spectrum, interlaced arpeggios, half time and double time, counterpoints that are pretty active and keep one focused on what's new. Different rhythms, more variation on rhythms. Try not to keep the same slow march feel throughout the whole song, despite it being the driving force of the original track.

If you want the song to have some real depth, focus on an exposition, a buildup, and a climax. Make these aspects extremely dramatic, and you will be praised for making the hairs on the backs of peoples' necks raise. Just listen to Starblast's Pillar of Salt.

Keep it up and keep slogging through.

Not to discourage you further, but...there's a piano/strings version of this already by the late Avien (RIP ; ;) on the Super Metroid: Relics of the Chozo site project.

http://smproject.ocremix.org/

Just sayin'. Anyway, agreed with Blake's post above. This is mostly a direct transcription of the original until 2-odd minutes in...but there are some interesting ideas after that point. The waltzy section was pleasantly unexpected. I think you could elaborate a lot more on that. GL, keep at it. :D

Not to discourage you further, but...there's a piano/strings version of this already by the late Avien (RIP ; ;) on the Super Metroid: Relics of the Chozo site project.

http://smproject.ocremix.org/

Just sayin'. Anyway, agreed with Blake's post above. This is mostly a direct transcription of the original until 2-odd minutes in...but there are some interesting ideas after that point. The waltzy section was pleasantly unexpected. I think you could elaborate a lot more on that. GL, keep at it. :D

Wow... it does sound like a direct transcription, doesn't it? I guess I was thinking too much about the original... 'cause it sounds so cool.

I am particularly proud of the waltzy part. I thought that would make it stand out more or less. Should I make that part encompass more of the song? I was contemplating that as I was creating it.

I think that whole "tense" part right before the waltz part is missing something but I can't put my finger on it. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your comments. Now I think this one sounds good... just not particularly ReMix good.

• 1 month later...