OCR MOVES Tournament #3

kamoh

Play each other player twice (alternating red/white), 10 games total for every player.

Standings criteria, in order: Wins, Losses, Wins vs. tied, Losses vs. tied, Strength of Wins, one-game playoff.

Top ranking player recieves a bye into the final.

Second and third ranking players playoff for the other berth in the final.

All playoff matches are best 3/5.

Deadline for this round will be 7 days (February 14th).

movesun4.png

As Kamoh mentioned, he did beat me in two hairline close games. I'd like to think that Kamoh and I are pretty evenly balanced, because I think his experience won out this time. And of course a number of good moves helped too.

In an astounding exhibition of luck, good luck, and more luck, I nabbed two wins off of DarkeSword, to bring me back up to even W/L. I think I pulled the right draw, like, three times in a row at one point. It was just obnoxious. I entirely anticipate the uberpwnage coming my way in the playoffs, after this.

Also got my games in with Hemophiliac. I was pleased with an initial win, where basically everything was going my way. Once my luck ran out though, Hemo had ample opportunity to display his prowess, and did so with a solid win.

So,

Rainman DX vs. Kamoh, 0-2.

Rainman DX vs. DarkeSword, 2-0.

Rainman DX vs. Hemophiliac, 1-1.

Whew! Came out even on my first go around - decent, I'd like to think. That said, I'm finding that with this game, I could've played just as well and lost 6 in a row. Not like chess, in that way...

EDIT: Dude, Kamoh, where'd the table go? I guess I only have JD and Arek left to play, right?

As Kamoh mentioned, he did beat me in two hairline close games. I'd like to think that Kamoh and I are pretty evenly balanced, because I think his experience won out this time. And of course a number of good moves helped too.

In an astounding exhibition of luck, good luck, and more luck, I nabbed two wins off of DarkeSword, to bring me back up to even W/L. I think I pulled the right draw, like, three times in a row at one point. It was just obnoxious. I entirely anticipate the uberpwnage coming my way in the playoffs, after this.

Also got my games in with Hemophiliac. I was pleased with an initial win, where basically everything was going my way. Once my luck ran out though, Hemo had ample opportunity to display his prowess, and did so with a solid win.

So,

Rainman DX vs. Kamoh, 0-2.

Rainman DX vs. DarkeSword, 2-0.

Rainman DX vs. Hemophiliac, 1-1.

Whew! Came out even on my first go around - decent, I'd like to think. That said, I'm finding that with this game, I could've played just as well and lost 6 in a row. Not like chess, in that way...

EDIT: Dude, Kamoh, where'd the table go? I guess I only have JD and Arek left to play, right?

Woooow...fantastic job with the two victories vs. DS - although I still consider him to be the best player until he loses a playoff.

Hopefully JD has been studying a little bit - I'd really like to add high-caliber players to the list and Rainman is certainly a low-mistake player like the most of us.

...plus there's no significant advantage to going first.

I was wondering if my initial assessment of that was correct - what with the random numbers on pawns from the outset, it would appear that neither Light nor Dark would hold a significant advantage by moving first. Not like chess, where I think White hold, like, a 50.5% winning percentage or something like that.

I was wondering if my initial assessment of that was correct - what with the random numbers on pawns from the outset, it would appear that neither Light nor Dark would hold a significant advantage by moving first. Not like chess, where I think White hold, like, a 50.5% winning percentage or something like that.

Well my issue is that, say you have a 2 king, and all 1 pawns. A 4 or a 3 strikes, threatens the king on the first move, and neither can you block him or he moves out of the way, game over.

This scenario is one reason why I'd actually like to see the game played on a 9x9 board, 8 pawns, 1 king, and both kings are centered. While this doesn't develop play quickly, it certainly kills many "go first" advantages. Darkesword will say "nah, doesn't need to be changed" (also said this to a checkmate-style rule), but it's just a thought - someone with C++ skillz could work it :D

Well my issue is that, say you have a 2 king, and all 1 pawns. A 4 or a 3 strikes, threatens the king on the first move, and neither can you block him or he moves out of the way, game over.

This scenario is one reason why I'd actually like to see the game played on a 9x9 board, 8 pawns, 1 king, and both kings are centered. While this doesn't develop play quickly, it certainly kills many "go first" advantages. Darkesword will say "nah, doesn't need to be changed" (also said this to a checkmate-style rule), but it's just a thought - someone with C++ skillz could work it :D

I'z gotz madd Java skillz - it'za hafta do.

If a 3 or 4 threatens the king on the first move, all you have to do is move IN with your king. Now your king is safe. You can't kill on the first move.