I've been going to this forum for several years and i love it but...

xinster

IMHO, in the past few months, some of the remixes t hat come out on the front page are just horrible. I thought they were supposed to be the cream of the crop remixes? I'm open to all sorts of music, slow, smooth, jazzy, metal, electronic (which has been pretty adequately fulfilled by megeaman remixes alone), even some of the vocal stuff on here. But man, i don't know if its a general decline in quality, but some of the stuff is at the very least, undeserving of the front page. I think the last remix i heard and didn't delete was th iMushroom one, and the last really good one i heard was the cave moon rhapsody one.

Am i nuts, or does anybody else feel me on this one?

If by "on the front page" you mean the ones accompanied by pictures on the right - those are the newest ones on the site (top one is THE newest). As for everything else, they're not being featured specifially (most recent reviews, and 100% random ones). But if you are indeed talking about the very newest ones: everyone has different taste, and somewhat different opinions of quality. Do what the previous guy said - read the reviews to find out why they got accepted =]

[Edit]

t hat come out on the front page

Ooops, ignore the first half of my post... =/

IMHO, in the past few months, some of the remixes t hat come out on the front page are just horrible. I thought they were supposed to be the cream of the crop remixes? I'm open to all sorts of music, slow, smooth, jazzy, metal, electronic (which has been pretty adequately fulfilled by megeaman remixes alone), even some of the vocal stuff on here. But man, i don't know if its a general decline in quality, but some of the stuff is at the very least, undeserving of the front page. I think the last remix i heard and didn't delete was th iMushroom one, and the last really good one i heard was the cave moon rhapsody one.

What do you mean by horrible? Technically incompetent, conceptually stupid, artistically bankrupt? I agree though, the judges are full of shit.

If you are really bothered by the quality of a remix, then tell the creator about it yourself on the feedback page.

If you have a problem with the judging standards, then get over it or visit one of the many other fine game remixing websites on the internet. (remixthasauce, vgmix, hell even olr.) Threads like these rarely ever amount to much, imo.

I'm just going to flat out disagree with your generalization there, bucko. Every mix currently on the front page sidebar shows either at least a high degree of musicality, or a high degree of production knowledge - some both! Whether or not you enjoy the particular stylings of a mix or the interpretive direction it takes is something else entirely, but they all display a level of quality that IMO has become progressively higher since OCR00001.

It's also pretty telling that you didn't or can't articulate exactly what aspect of the mixes is "declining in quality," so I'm guessing it's either styles you don't like, games/songs you're not familiar with, or something similarly trivial and subjective.

*shrug*

I'm just going to flat out disagree with your generalization there, bucko. Every mix currently on the front page sidebar shows either at least a high degree of musicality, or a high degree of production knowledge - some both! Whether or not you enjoy the particular stylings of a mix or the interpretive direction it takes is something else entirely, but they all display a level of quality that IMO has become progressively higher since OCR00001.

It's also pretty telling that you didn't or can't articulate exactly what aspect of the mixes is "declining in quality," so I'm guessing it's either styles you don't like, games/songs you're not familiar with, or something similarly trivial and subjective.

*shrug*

Seconded for emphasis.

I've barely listened to any remixes since #1000. Should I be banned or something?

Me either. We should make a club or something. Or just a club sandwich...those are delicious. Anyways, I only check out the major full soundtrack releases on here. I never bother with the individual ones anymore. The only individual ones that I listen to on any sort of regular basis are the old Protricity things.

I wouldn't go so far as to say recent additions are horrible, but I can't recall many of them hitting me as hard as Disco Dan's and Mr. Peeple's stuff did back in the day. Then again, that was like 5 years ago and this was a whole new freakin awesome world for me. I'm pretty sure I'll never grow tired of this stuff though.

Meh. don't mind me... just reminiscing.

There was a time I downloaded the occasional mix to see if there was anything I liked. I think I might still do that nowadays, not too sure. Some of them are just not my cup of tea. But who can say most of the master thesis's at the college composition courses are going to be all that memorable, neh?

A few of my own feelings about this:

For one, I believe the complexity of mixes has DEFINITELY increased since the much older mixes, steadily. Mixers have gotten more skilled and the judges have higher standards.

However, there is a flipside. Back a few years ago, most of the mixes posted had a similar "feel". This is obviously a very difficult style to explain because it had a lot of variants, but through about 03 or so many of them shared certain aspects. Now, I think the judges might judge a bit too harshly on current mixes featuring that style of electronica from back then. It seems that mixes with live instruments cause a bit of a bias and are FAR more likely to get in even if the mix itself is not that creative or interesting (which may or may not be the case - definitely they are creative and definitely the artists are talented...but every so often, and more often than before, I hit a dud).

Basically, I guess people liked the older mixes more mostly because people liked that old style, and now it's very hard to come across one. I think one of the most recent ones like I'm talking about to pass would have been either iMushroom by GaMeBoX from S&K (which is probably why it's been coming up in discussion) or Too Hot for Heatman by AeroZ from Mega Man II.

I myself have enjoyed some of the most recent mixes, really. There has been some quality stuff, to be sure. However, I can't deny that I have a soft spot and probably a greater appreciation for the elder mixes, and in particular that "feel" that many of them had.

I wait for the return of bLiNd.

I wait for the return of McVaffe!

Anyways, I don't agree with the progressive decline in quality either. I've been seeing more games that I don't recognize, but I'm definitely finding tracks that I've loved (meaning, they are worthy of iPod status). A few examples from the last few months include NoppZ's Hyrule Dance Party (AWESOME Mix...Zelda 64), zyko's At First Innocence (Seiken Densetsu 3), Blue Magic's The Delay (DKC 2)...this is some great stuff and I only download a sampling of what's posted!

I also strongly agree with the person who said the quality has been increasing over the years. My only gripe is that I wish these quality tracks would get released more frequently! ;-)

I wait for the return of bLiNd.

Quoted for agreement.

Yeah what the hell happened to that little bugger. A WHILE ago he let me listen to some songs on an EP he was coming out with (songs not even on his site), but now, zilch. No activity. I love those songs.

What about remixes by the likes of ziwtra? They're electronic and still pass by.

I also support this statement.

HAHHHHHHN