I've been going to this forum for several years and i love it but...

xinster

What about remixes by the likes of ziwtra? They're electronic and still pass by.

I never said "electronic remixes don't pass" - I said judges seem to be a lot harder on them now. And more specifically than "electronic remixes" I was referring to the ones that have that "feel" the old ones had. (Like I said, it's hard to describe it exactly.) There's tons of new electronic mixes on the site, granted, but it's very infrequent you get one like what I'm talking about. Undoubtedly one comes along every so often - it's just not nearly as often as it used to be.

I think the last remix i heard and didn't delete was th iMushroom one, and the last really good one i heard was the cave moon rhapsody one.

Am i nuts, or does anybody else feel me on this one?

I think you are wrong about the trend of the site, but at least you have the taste to point out two of the best remixes we have posted recently.

I actually enjoyed the likes of Children of the Monkey Machine (that collab metroid arrangement thing), LastUnicron (Halls of Abandonment, Alisia Dragoon), J:/Drive (A World Awaits Chrono, Chrono Trigger), the guy who did the Mario Dirty Mix remix (awesome), Kaijin, and various others back in the day. I remember the remixes that came up around when this site first opened (and those pretzel comic things, YONKS ago but I still remember them!)

I wouldn't necessarily say there's a decline in quality, moreso the decline of what's old news. With technology increasingly improving, and the versatility and availability of computer music workstation software continuously growing larger exponentially, one has to draw the line somewhere where, it shouldn't be a complete luxury to create amazing arrangements of our favourite video game tunes, reimagined, otherwise every remix would end up being some death metal version of the Mario Theme with absolute cliche chords, or even moreso, HARDCORE GABBER TECHNO of almost every battle theme of the Final Fantasy series. Surely we don't want that; in my opinion that's almost as bad as mainstream radio today.

But quite frankly, some of us want to make something completely different too, it's still a challenge because we don't want to sound like everything/everyone else, at the same time we don't want to have the judges end up throwing our remix piece away simply because it's too avant-garde to their taste, or, in their opinion it just sounds BAD. (Rhetorically, Progressive music, IDM/Glitch/Breakcore Electronica, A Capella (someone correct me?))

Anyway, that's my two cents. Question, can someone refer me the last remix that made it into the archives that was wholly made up of similar to a chiptune but a bit more sophisticated? (ie: sound-processing/added effects and whatnot)

The "quality" of the music has certainly been on the rise, but I feel like that often results in a decline in other areas. Many of the old songs weren't as impressive in terms of production or arrangement, so they had to make up for it with sheer heart. And it's not that the current bunch lacks heart-- it's just that there's something charming about any art where the effort exceeds the quality. Now that the quality has caught up, I find myself describing more songs as "impressive" and "well done" than I do "catchy" or "fun."

Yes, you should. Cause you don't contribute to the site.

It still does. Beats any remix on this whole site.

Seconded for emphasis.

Recent remixes that blew me away include Dj Redlight - Dr. Mario Burning Up, Blue Magic - DKC2 The Delay, Dale North - Earthbound Home Again, aluminum - Earthbound Brainshock. Generally, I *really* like every single ReMix that has been posted as of late. There are plenty of excellent, mind-blowing ReMixes just as < OCR1000. I still have my favorites (most of them are < OCR1000), but it remains true that there is very litte "bad" music on this site. Nothing like DJ Frog's Bad Tuna. Sure there generally isn't as much "trance" or "techno" as of late (which I'm mildly annoyed by), but hopefully we'll see some of that soon. Who knows. It depends if any ReMixers send any good techno shits. If you know the techno shits reference, I give you permission to not like recent ReMixes posted on OCR. But I'm afraid that if you've only been around since 2006, you *probably* have no idea.

So, xinster, my vote is: NO

A lot of the remixes I used to enjoy lost their wow factor after I realized that they were just a novelty. I would wager that a small minority of the songs in OCR are actually of a high enough quality (innovation, sound quality, depth of composition, etc.) to have a lasting appeal.

The reason you think that it was somehow different in the past is because there was a period of 3-4 years when perhaps 1 or 2 songs a month would have such a lasting quality, and they accumulated. The quality hasn't really suffered.

I can't say that I don't agree with the TC in the respect that I really am not that interested in the new mixes, but that is my preference not the weakness of the mixers.

Edit: I've gotta say, however, that the sound quality of the new Chrono mix is crap. They should've been forced to retake or NO'd.

Edit: Also, a lot of the obvious logical inspirations for making a mix have already been taken. Honestly, whoever decides to make a metal remix of Clockwork from CV is gonna get beat on by Goat's "Trevor's Reflection". The "I came before you principal" applies here. Especially if a good job is done the first time.

Oh, you serious? A friend of Shnab's sent this song to me before this made it to the archive. :( It's a great arrangement though.

So much for 'modern retrograde.' :'(

Oh, whoops. For some reason I completely mis-read your post. "Last song to be put in the archives" became "last song that was posted" in my muddled head.

Never fear, Dueling Consoles is safe and sound. Though I'm still pissed I got out-voted on "Figaro Chiptune."

That's quite the change of heart you had there, DarkCecil...just a few months ago, you were the one in xinster's position.

More of these threads have been cropping up these days...perhaps their arguments might have a little bit of merit to them after all?

I was definitely talking out of my ass for that thread I started a couple months ago mostly out of having an angsty conversation with some judge-haters. Unfortunate. Near the end of the thread, I realized there WAS something in my butt so I performed sexual favors on all of the judges (Which is what they deserve. More sexual favors.)

I don't see any kind of decline in the quality of the remixes being posted. I've heard a lot of new and old stuff... For a long time now, I've listened to every new remix that's been posted. There just doesn't seem to be a change in the quality of the remixes the judges are posting.

Amount of wealth ≠ Quality of music

If that statement were true, I'd be a regular listener to mainstream radio.

Ziwtra's a shining example of this. He used the free SoundTracker, and then the $70 tracker Renoise.

Ok let me clarify my point. I do not get paid for doing VG projects. I do get paid for other projects, therefore they are higher priority and I spend more time on them. So I can eat.

When I do a VG project, I'm doing it as a favor, to give back, because I like the community, and I like the music. It's not usually my very best work though because I don't have that much extra time to work on it usually.

So it's silly to sit around and bitch about the quality of music on a site where people are donating their time and sweat. Go outside. Support music that you do like. There's a lot of local music that can use your support.

Amen Jaroban. Amen.

Zutnunzor: Stroll yourself to a nightclub and you got yourself unlimited hardcore techno pumped through a maximizer on speakers 200dB too high. :D

*ahem* Well as long it doesn't sound 'typical' and 'uninspired' I'm all for it personally, otherwise I'll stick with IDM/Other Electronica for alternatives. (And more...perplexing to say the least.)

And I still haven't heard a 'Progressive Rock-like' remix of anything yet. Something flashy, with limping timesigs. :D

I'm probably going to get shot now...

It's interesting to hear music where people try really hard out of their own free will (and for free). More than 3/4 the time I don't keep the songs, but that doesn't get me discouraged about the site. (I say this because as of current this > 3/4 situation is in stark contrast to how I used to keep every song on the site.)

Keep music you like because you like the way it sounds, and not due to it being popular, being in a genre you normally don't like, or even being from your favorite remixer...unless you're just a collector kind of person. Keeping it because of the source tune and game, however, seems to be a decent enough reason, and often is an origin of the sentence "keeping songs because of the way they sound."

Also, as people grow older, their musical tastes get more mature because they're hearing the same thing used over and over again in songs. People will always outgrow songs, but as they themselves grow, they easily have the potential to outgrow less and less songs. Those songs that you cherish as maturity increases will be much longer lasting. (Also, don't forget to give songs chances. I'm often undecided on whether I should keep a song, even after a couple days.)

It really depends on taste. You shouldn't come to a forum and ask a question like this, since everyone's going to have a different answer. Figure it out for yourself, or don't bother sharing your view that no one person is going to share in exactly the same way. It doesn't help that no reasons at all were given for why mixes "sound horrible recently".