OCR01549 - Chrono Trigger "Theme of Frog's"

djpretzel

I don't really like the flute solo,normaly I don't care about out of tunedness if it fits the song, but the intonation and fingering is very sloppy here and feels more like a giant mistake, it hinders the song more than it helps.

However once things get going after the intro it isn't quite so bad, and the lack of tuneing between the instruments seems to give it a better (more organic?) feel than if the tuneing had been perfect.

Overal I like it, its kindof short, and I wouldn't really say its a direct cover of the original either. A pretty good arrangement though, baring the flute solo anyway...

Edit: Oh yeah, since people are mentioning it, the problem with the flute solo has little to do with recording ability if you ask me, its the musician playing it that is weak, the solo would be good if it had been executed a bit more skillfully. Because really...that little bit should not be difficult for a moderate level middle school/highschool student to play.

Well you do have a point there, the flute solo is a bit sloppy, and I do agree that it mixes well with the rest of the music once it gets going.

I had never heard your work before and have never had a satisfied remix to the theme. When i first heard the flute i wasn't sure if i was going to be disappointed or not. As soon as the entire band kicked in i found my happiness. Thank you for that. Glen would be proud.

You know how in anime how certain characters have specific theme songs for when they do something heroic or something to that effect? Well basically, what I'm saying is, if there was a Chrono Trigger anime (and I mean an official one. Not some obscure OVA thing or something to that effect) then this is what we'd hear everytime Frog had a big fight scene.

Please make more of these for other characters' themes. It's good. Really, really, good.

You did it dude ... with that tune you made me cry :P been ages since i played chrono for the last time and always love that frog song ... the flute was a big surprise and even if the end varies from the original i find it the best part as it rejuvenates the original tune IMHO

in 5 words

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

• 1 month later...

Authenticity.

That's what all the small imperfections remind me of : this is not a ReMix done on a computer or using synthesizers, this is an actual band playing live. And although I have great love for computer-bred pieces and admiration for their authors, I must take my hat off to Select Start for their work since live recordings are a completely different ball game, where you can't just correct a mistake in a few clicks and that every sound you hear is actually played by a musician (no sound effects, no possibility of adding up several layers of the same instrument, etc).

Yes, this piece is a tad too short (the only true problem as far as I'm concerned).

Yes, there are some irregularities in the flute intro's timing.

Yes, the instruments aren't *perfectly* in tune.

But if you were sitting at the Prancing Pony in Bree, a mug of ale in your hand, hobbits running around while a tall guy sitting in the corner eyes you from the dark depths of his hood whilst smoking his pipe, wouldn't all these slight imperfections be there too ? Don't you feel they add to the organicness of the music ?

I just ordered Select Start's CD, because being in a band myself, I realize just how much even the slightest support and recognition from listeners means (and it's very reasonably priced). Looking forward to hear more from them !

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to this the first time, I was pretty dubious of the flute intro. It wasn't the timings that bothered me; it was just that it was so similar to the original that I wondered where you could take it. I had a suspicion, and it turned out being exactly on the money. The mix blows up from small scale to much bigger, not unlike Hans Zimmer's theme for Tortuga in Pirates of the Caribbean 2. This is basically Frog's Theme as it was meant to be heard, and that's something I've always wanted.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Celtic instruments + live + one of my favorite video game themes from one of my favorite video games of all time = instant classic.

If there's one beef I have, it's the fact that the flute at the beginning lasts a little too long for my tastes before the real meat of the piece starts in.

• 1 year later...

ohoo, the mix that was posted right before my debut mix! While it may not mean anything to anyone else, it somehow means something to me. XD

Select start absolutely pwned at magfest 6, and this specific track os one of their standout arrangements. At less than 2 minutes, the track is pretty brief, but it really has a nice feel due to the all live performances. The flute does seem a bit under pressure, but it's a pretty demanding part, and a second take might not have been an option. Either way, it's a great mix and I'm excited to hear some new material by them. :-)

• 7 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01549 - Chrono Trigger "Theme of Frog's"