Zune!

Gruntguy

I have the possibilty to get a Microsoft Zune for dirt cheap ($135). I don't really do any music downloading from the internet besides OCR. I just put my CD's unto my computer in Window's media player format. But anyways, what I'm curious about is if I it would be worth my money to pick one of these up?

Personally, I probably wouldn't, then again, I am a zealot against all things DRM, and the very second a song hit the Zune (DRM encoded or not) it gets stuck DRM. But, if you're really wanting a high capacity mp3 player for cheap, then it is an option. Me? I'd just save up more money and get something else.

Personally, I probably wouldn't, then again, I am a zealot against all things DRM...

QFA. (That's "agreement", in case no one guesses)

I'm looking for a high capacity MP3 player, but it has to - HAS TO - not do any DRM of any kind. I want my stuff clean and free. Got any recommendations?

And please don't say the Gigabeat line... I've already found out about their nasty little tricks.

My son has had one for 2 months now. He loves it. Downloads all sorts of PODcasts and transfers TV shows he's taped on DVDs to it. Of course you need to convert from the DVD to a ZUNE format but he found a free program (SUPER) to do it. Took a little working at it until he figured it out but the quality is great. He also has put tons of music on it so it meets his needs perfectly. More of his friends are getting them now. Even his uncle is thinking of getting one!

For $135, it's hard to pass up one at that price for what you get. Sure, it may have DRM, which is technology that restricts how your mp3s can be used, but it uses the DRM on the Zune, so it shouldn't affect you unless you like pulling your mp3s from your music player into another computer, which is an unlikely scenario.

Note, this is coming from someone who vehemently hates DRM and usually stays far away from it.

QFA. (That's "agreement", in case no one guesses)

I'm looking for a high capacity MP3 player, but it has to - HAS TO - not do any DRM of any kind. I want my stuff clean and free. Got any recommendations?

And please don't say the Gigabeat line... I've already found out about their nasty little tricks.

Have you considered a Gigabeat running Rockbox (It must be a Gigabeat F or X model. Rockbox doesn't work on S models yet)? Seriously, using Rockbox is the way to go. It completely and entirely bypasses the original Gigabeat firmware (minus the first 2-4 seconds of powerup). DRM? What's that? I simply hook my Gigabeat up to my PC through the USB port (don't use the cradle), and access it as though it's a hard drive. Dump music to it anyway you please, and as long as it's a format supported by Rockbox (it plays NSFs and SPCs now, if that interests you), it'll play just fine.

From the day I got my Gigabeat, I have never seen the original firmware (minus the time I very first started it up, to install Rockbox while in USB mode. As such, I never saw what the actual player stuff looks like, or how it functions), or used any software that came with the unit. If you're against the Gigabeat simply on principle (it supports DRM, out of the box), then that's your thing. Personally though, I think you're missing out.

I know you specifically said not to recommend a Gigabeat. However, when running Rockbox, it's a completely different story, in my opinion. However, if as I said, you're concerned about the fact that the unit under default conditions supports DRM, then I can see how it would still apply, since it would give the guise that you're supporting DRM by having the unit. Even so, I think you're just limiting yourself with a view like that. Not only that, but battery life is really good too. I've gotten about 15 hours of straight, non-stop use out of it, and others have gotten about 20.

Hopefully this gives you something to think about. If not, at least you know about Rockbox, and how useful it can be, as long as you get a player that Rockbox supports. If you don't know what Rockbox is, look it up. If you do, then sorry to have wasted your time. Mouser X out.

For $135, it's hard to pass up one at that price for what you get. Sure, it may have DRM, which is technology that restricts how your mp3s can be used, but it uses the DRM on the Zune, so it shouldn't affect you unless you like pulling your mp3s from your music player into another computer, which is an unlikely scenario.

Note, this is coming from someone who vehemently hates DRM and usually stays far away from it.

Ah thanks for explaining that. And chances are, I wont put it to another computer. I might use the whole Wi-Fi thing because someone that I work with is getting one from the same guy. However DRM shouldn't be a problem.

My son has had one for 2 months now. He loves it. Downloads all sorts of PODcasts and transfers TV shows he's taped on DVDs to it. Of course you need to convert from the DVD to a ZUNE format but he found a free program (SUPER) to do it. Took a little working at it until he figured it out but the quality is great. He also has put tons of music on it so it meets his needs perfectly. More of his friends are getting them now. Even his uncle is thinking of getting one!

Sound like a bi line to a microsoft add.

My son never got an iPod, settled for a Samsung MP3 player which met his needs at the time. As his interests expanded into video, the ZUNE was what he wanted so that's what he got.

No plug intended -- just a young smart consumer who knew what he wanted and is extremely satisfied with what he got.

OK I just got a free Zune from work, and I can now compare the 30GB ipod and the 30GB Zune, since I have both. I'll edit in a full comparison later, but I can't see how anyone in their right mind would go with the Zune over the ipod after using both of them.

So after trying both the ipod and Zune I would say the ipod beats it by a longshot. I am not even talking about the whole DRM issue. It is so hard to just get the Zune to have exactly what I want on it. It continually tried to put my entire hard drive on it even though I kept telling it to not automatically sync. Just to get the thing up and running with a limited number of songs took a WHILE. In half that time, when I first got my ipod, I had already put every song I wanted on it, a few videos, and was already listening to it for a decent amount of time. So if you're paying the same price for them ($135 aint bad for it, and I got my Zune for free or else I would never have one) oh god just get the ipod.

So after trying both the ipod and Zune I would say the ipod beats it by a longshot. I am not even talking about the whole DRM issue. It is so hard to just get the Zune to have exactly what I want on it. It continually tried to put my entire hard drive on it even though I kept telling it to not automatically sync. Just to get the thing up and running with a limited number of songs took a WHILE. In half that time, when I first got my ipod, I had already put every song I wanted on it, a few videos, and was already listening to it for a decent amount of time. So if you're paying the same price for them ($135 aint bad for it, and I got my Zune for free or else I would never have one) oh god just get the ipod.

You work at Game Crazy, right? And get all this free stuff? What the hell, EB Games was shit and I'm glad I left.