Where can I find good hit music charts?

Shadow Wolf

I was thinking the other day how cool it'd be to be able to browse through top 100 charts from earlier years, so I could remember the titles of some of the songs playing back in 2000/2001, for example, and go grab them off iTunes. The only problem is that Billboard.com makes you pay for this info. So is there a great place to find historic music charts, or am I out of luck?

"Evenflow" by Pearl Jam

(This is by no means my favorite). Are you telling me this isn't a rockin' song because it's (or was) mainstream?

Yeah, Even Flow and most other Pearl Jam songs = good stuff imo.

I recently got into a discussion with TO about this; and I kinda dug myself into a hole cos I didn't phrase my argument very well. =P Artists such as Fatboy Slim and Basement Jaxx have some great music, as well as mainstream success. There's some good mainstream music, but when it's overplayed (prime example is ABBA) it just loses it's worth.

As for the chart websites, alot of them seem to be poorly/cheaply put together. Something worth checking out is Triple J's annual Hottest 100. It's a competition in which the public/JJJ listeners vote for their favourite tracks of the year; indie, mainstream, whatever. It always sparks interesting discussion and a variety of music.