Sonic 3 Ice Cap Hard Trance (It's better than it sounds :P)

DistantJ

not much of a fan of techno or sonic but ill try to help

drums are really repataive. usually, there's an extra eight note on the fouth beat in techno. not much of a bass you got there, it sounds like a low pitched saw. aragments not bad, the harmony is great, and so are the effects. What i think you should work on is making the prelude/breakdown (i don't know the real name) a little more interesting, like a little cathier melody or something because i find it a little repetaive. Also, try to expliot the melody a lot more to make it longer. But my main complant has to be the bass (or lack of).

good work tho.

Update: http://download.yousendit.com/0C2700936230CE8D

What you're probably hearing as the "bass" is actually the retro style bass-synth-thing which isn't actually providing the bass for the song. If you turn the bass up on your system you'll hear some in there which you didn't notice before, since there's a sub-bass underneath it on the offbeat, which provides the song with a real kick, but it's subtle when you listen for the actual instruments. Play it next to a bunch of professional dance music and you'll notice the bass levels are about the same.

I'll probably add an extra kick on the 4th bar (you mean bar, not beat) later on, it is something I usually do, but I've been using pre-rendered drums rather than separate samples recently to help with the audio quality, so I've not added that in yet.

Very nice so far.

During the parts where the main melody is absent, try changing the drums (more so than just cutting one drum out). Also, do try to bring the melody in a bit more, since it actually seems not to feature during most of the remix, which is more based off the harmony and improvised additions.

Good luck with the intro/outro...

Update: http://download.yousendit.com/31E141551E394E1C

Drums altered for the middle section, an extra kick added to the end of each 4th bar, the lead is fleshed out to sound more powerful and less high pitched and tinny. General equalisation improved.

I'm thinking of adding some sound effects from the game to keep things interesting, though nothing overly cheesy like ring collection and jump sounds.

Not too familiar with the original, but I like this. It kept me interested melodically, though I think you could push it and do some pad swells or the like to add some tension/release. The drums are still very repetitive in the latest version though--even subtle pattern changes would do a great deal to make them less monotonous, run them through some effects like highpass/lowpass sweeps (like your lowpass at the end), pan them around, etc. There's lots you could do to vary them up and make them interesting.

I dig this, has a kind of old-school sound with tons of reverb/delay. Keep at it. :D

Offtopic: I'd actually laugh if I heard a Hard Trance/techno/gabber/etc. version of Green Hill, in the style of Balla Nation. (The melodic part for the FFFFFFFFEEEEECDE loop, with INSTANT HARDCORE BASS PUMPED THROUGH A MAXIMIZER!!!11)

Catchy yet so freaking easy to do, just gotta know how to impress. (And yes, it'd be more bouncy than the Euro 96 mix by Rayza...)

Ontopic: Well, I have a big suspicion you haven't heard Redlox's, DragonXVI's, or ztrop's remix of this song. (Same key, different interpretation). Uhm...it's definetly 'attractive' to the ear, and it IS a tad more creative than many Ice Cap remixes here. I hear you used the actual sound of the bass. But I think from between sections of the song, the leads seem a bit 'sudden' from out of nowhere. It doesn't quite fit.. Perhaps louden the bass with a bit more EQ on the lows, add a compressor on the track, a bit of reverb on the percussion, a degrading echo filter on the leads, and perhaps an evolving distortion+cutoff filter on something. The kicks well, should be emphasized a little more with a bit of extra virtuosity rather than the straight 4/4, because not only the kick right now isn't attractive enough, but yes it is repetitive. Add a distortion filter and use some offtime beats that make sense..? Perhaps listen to some of the more recent tracks of songs on this type of genre (Pavo, Zany, or even a different genre) for some ideas...

Ending needs work. That's all I'm going to say.

• 2 weeks later...

The yousendit link has expired, so I don't know whether the version I have been listening to for the last few days is the most recent one, but I assume it because of the speed (sounds rather like 133 than 140).

Anyway, like I said, I listened to it multiple times, because it is already very good. The intro needs some work (the rain(?) sound you use doesn't sound very good IMO), and the following part is not that interesting. However, once the song really starts at 0:58 respectively 1:12, it all falls into place and becomes awesomeness (same at 3:24).

Btw, I'd like to hear the faster version, could you upload it again? Oh, and I also really dig the stuff you did for OverLooked. There can never be enough Happy Hardcore (well, there are hardly any HH remixes...).