VOCR2: Knuckes Chaotix [Results]

Malcos

Congratulations to Hale Bopp, he had an awesome entry!

I definately found the other two entries to be very creative, I would have never thought of incorporeating different sayings from other languages/cultures. Definately some good work from you two.

I'm already anticipating the next round!

Thanks, DA. Glad you enjoyed listening. Indeed, Hale-Bopp's entry was awesome. Nice work with yours, too...that 'funny part' you referred to in one of your posts was actually enjoyable to listen to.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who used a different language...if only you had a better mic, Broken. :)

Anyway, this competition taught me that production isn't as easy as I expected. Tough stuff. I started noticing some issues after I sent my final version. Still though, it's nice to simply gain the experience of doing everything on your own.

^ Yah, this was an excellent experience for myself. It definitely revealed my weaknesses and I know what to work on next time around.

Congrats to Hale-Bopp and Dragon Avenger. You both had excellent entries. (Didn't realize we only had 8 people voting though. This compo is in dire neeed of attention.)

Thanks, everyone! I had a lot of fun with this track. This is my first time winning an online competition, so I'm abundantly overjoyed to say the least.

I took the liberty of uploading a newer version of my entry. I thought everyone should know which entry was mine, so you can grab it right here:

Knuckles Chaotix - Over Ocean's Blue - By Malcos & Hale-Bopp (NEWER VERSION)

and Lyrics

I basically just tightened a few things up production-wise and retagged the MP3. I hope you dig it!

Thanks to Malcos for generously providing prizes and an excellent backing track which was perfectly suited for vocals, and to the rest of the contestants who maintained a positive and easy going atmosphere throughout the competition. It's been a pleasure sharing this moment in time with you guys. :)

Good jorb everyone, and an extra congratulations to the winners! If I may make a suggestion for next round, however- post in gendisc when the compy starts maybe? I missed this one because of it, and I'm sure others did too. Well, either way, I'll keep an eye out for Round 3, wherever it shows up!

Yo, Malcos, are you gonna re-link to the entries in your first post? As it stands, there's no way for anyone to grab the tracks. Any new people visiting this thread won't have anything to listen to, that is unless they happen to find my previous post.

I didn't think anyone would want to now the competition is closed, but I guess I was wrong, so it's been re-linked.

I think we've all taken this for granted, but I/we need to thank Malcos for all the work he did for the contest. It's gotta be tough to run it, mix it, tally it, etc, so...

THANKS!

Yeah it's kool. I personally think the most valuable thing for the entrants is the feedback they receive. When my time comes to host the comp again I'll make sure that vocalists get as much feedback as possible. Do you guys have any ideas for the next round of the competition? I'm not sure that me and Pixie will always be able to offer prizes. Any other incentives? Is there anything that as entrants you think that would have helped you if it had been available?

I'm quite disappointed that more people haven't been involved in this, not only in terms of the number of entrants, but particularly the number of votes, as this provides an opportunity for vocal development and peer feedback. Hopefully we can all put our heads together and keep this comp going for many more rounds to come!

Just read my feeback on Magical Kingdom. Very useful, guys. I'm so glad most of you liked what was going on with the lyrics, as I thought they would sound mostly cheesy. A Cookie for anyone who can find out the "reference to a fantasy novel" in the chrous...coughgooglecough....

Now as for the singing and production issues, I think the latter suffered more than the former. I understood from you guys that there were swollowed words, strange effects, and strange sounds. See, it's my first time actually producing sound via Sony's "Sound Forge" so I'm happy that I was able to pull off a clean mix without ant clipping and whatnot. The stange sounds mostly result from experimentation on echo and reverb...there are some default choices I can pick from, which I did...but I wanted to be more in control via manual settings. The swollowed sounds result from not exactly mastering the art of compression. I did a 3:1 compression, but I'm not sure if it turned out well. There's also the matter of volume of the singing compared to the mix itself; I tried as much as possible to make them blend, didn't turn out as well as I thought.

Now as for the singing, I'll try to be more "confident" next time as you guys suggested. There's this thing with the "record" button which makes you think that you're actually singing in front of people. Talk about stage fright, eh?

Man...this is REALLY harder than I originally thought...

Hmm...ideas for next round....maybe first place can pick a game soundtrack or a particular track to be remixed? I'll try to come up with more stuff...

I didn't think anyone would want to now the competition is closed, but I guess I was wrong, so it's been re-linked.

Actually, I was really expecting/hoping that you'd be following pixietricks' formatting and link to each song individually (another good example of this is the DoD[link] competition). The way it's set up now, nobody's gonna know whose song is whose. Plus, it's nice if people who are visiting get to listen to the top 3 tracks or whatever and associate those tracks with whom they belong to. Personally, I'd really like for everybody to have a nicely tagged copy of my entry so they can associate it with me. In addition, we can all get more feedback from those people who are just showing up to see the results. That's half of the fun right there for those who entered the competition, plus it's a nice reward for our hard work. I'd take the extra exposure over prizes any day. This sort of thing will also attract more competitors to future rounds.

Everybody who cares already has the rar file. Anyone new to the topic won't know whose track is whose when they open it up. I suggest that you retag them and link each person's name to their respective mp3 file.

btw, if web space is a problem, I can lend some for this contest. Just let me know. I'd be more than happy to help out!

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Most people brought out stuff that I knew, but it never hurts to hear people's opinions on what they heard and how it affected their experiance, as it were. I need to thank Kholdstare again for processing the vocals, especially in the *ahem* white girl rap section. He actually made it sound good!

I agree with Hale-Bopp in terms of exposure vs. prizes. (of course, I definately enjoyed my money, which will be spent on the first box set of Tekkaman Blade, don't get me wrong) I like it when people write me a PM or something either with tips, praise, or questions. It always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside when someone does that. As for how to do it, I don't really know. It would be one thing if there were a news blog on the front page where someone could comment on it, but that's not really an option beyond linking to the thread, but that's not really eye-catching. If the winning entry was made into a remix and posted, that would probably up the views, but that would require more work from the entrant and original mixer, and then it would still have to pass the panel. It's really a tough spot we're in with this contest.

As for a song for next time, I thought earlier that the first stage theme from Actraiser (Fillmore) might work out for this, but it would depend on the mix that was made to it. *shrug*

Thanks for the feedback guys. My ego is easily damaged, so thanks for being relatively soft with me.

I definitely would welcome any help on the production side of things next time around, or in between, or whenever anyone's available.

But yeah, I'd have to agree with a lot of what you all said.

Er, wasn't it supposed to be revealed who did what at the end of the contest?

I know which one was Hale's, and it's pretty obvious which one was DragonAvenger's, being the only female vocalist, but I really haven't a clue which of the other two contestants did which entry.

Also, in support of Hale's request to have the entries linked directly from the first post... I checked out the songs from the last round after it was over. I think there's probably quite a few new people who check out this board from time to time, and like to see/hear the entries from past competitions. It's kind of a teaser you can't.

Anyway, I don't mean to criticize. It was a great contest, and I really enjoyed hearing the results.

So now the big question is: when is round three? lol...I know I'm nagging, but this was an exciting experience for me.

I got a few other ideas regarding what track we can use next. How about one of OCR's recently-released stuff? One which really can use singing/lyrics or something like that? It doesn't need one which already has lyrics...

Another idea is to "borrow" a finished track from one of the upcoming OCR projects. You never know, lyrics may even add more creativity...