OCR00666 - RoboCop "CPC Zone"

m68030

Robocop 'CPC Zone'

I love chip tunes. Absolutely adore them. And it's almost 6 minutes long!

Slowly developing into a ravenous dance track with an acidic bassline

and happy-go-chippy leads that chirp and blip all over the place. OCR

needs more music like this, but I doubt people really appreciate them.

I do, and I wubbles it.

• 3 weeks later...

Robocop CPC Zone- Wonderful to hear something so refreshingly nostalgic. This remix conveys a delightful, irreverent beat while also having a touch of the plaintive, a subtle tinge of the uneasy and tragic. And Robocop was a tragic story. The guy lost everything dear to him: wife, happy home, humanity. Transformed into a metal killing machine, he still strove for justice. This piece tells a story. It is mature while maintaining an innocent playfulness with the 'robocop' vocal dubs lain down in just the right places. It builds from the miasma of peaceful beginnings into a hopping, melancholic rage. A masterfully done piece by Malc Jennings. A+

I'll revel in anonymity.

~Aetherwalker

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

When I saw this I wondered how on earth a 2 bar long tune could take up 6 minutes.

To be honest, the base tune kinda got on my nerves...even by the time the background stuff came in at 2:14 it was irritating (¿was that something new or did I always quit the loading screen to early to hear it?)

Anyhow, the samples are well chosen, although the cymbal flurry at about 3:00 didnt really work for me (and perhaps its my duff speakers talking here, but the sample didnt sound too hot)

Also at 3:00 when the other tune came in...I didnt really like the start-stop effect it had, although to my recollection, thats how the .ym sounded in the first place...

That said, at about 4:00 when everything came together, it sounded good, I liked it (though again, I didnt really like how the cymbal sounded)

And again...at 5:05, another cymbal flurry...

And it had a bit of an anticlimactic ending. Just a dead stop and the 'robocop' sample...though I dont know how you could have properly finished it, save for a fadeout (and again, if I recall, the dead stop is what the original did on the 464 when you started a game)

Despite this...it kept my head bobbing and my feet tapping throughout.

Despite the things I mentioned here, I definitley recommend everyone listen to it.

• 3 months later...

i liked this track, ya, it was kinda repetitive......but it's nostalgic at the same time. Just so people don't get confused, this music is a remix of the Gameboy robocop, NOT the NES version. The NES version's music mimics the movie's theme by Paul Verhoven(?). But the Gameboys one is uh....it's own.

"Drop IT! Dead of Alive , you're coming with me!"

go Robo.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Personally, I don't care that this is repetitive. I like to put this as my background music when I'm playing Continuum, and it really fits into the game.

This remix is very upbeat, and has two pretty simplistic [though catchy] main chiptunes [i guess that's what you call them] accompanied mostly by a reverberating techno background.

I'd have to say that minimalism is underrated in music sometimes, and this is a good example of that. Definately worth a listen.

• 1 year later...

Apologies for the drama, but i've loved this piece since i first heard it on the speccy. And this is fucking shocking. It's like what Crazy Frog did to Axel F. Only about 50 times worse. As if the world needs another dumb ass house remix... i'm going to start ranting proper in a minute, so suffice to say that if you appreciated any of the track's original beauty, you wil only find it here buried beneath a pile of the usual housey shit. but then maybe i've missed the point... fun i suppose...if you like that sort of thing..

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The first part of the song doesnt really catch the interest...and dragging it out for 40 seconds didnt help. Then it picked up. It got catchy. Its like a snowball rolling down a hill. It doesnt seem like much, then it gets bigger and better. at around 2:38 is when i liked the song alot more. Didnt expect this from Robocop. Unique.

• 1 year later...

Well, this song certainly took it's sweet time. :P

At first, I was thinking, "this is just a chiptune cover of the original." but then it picked up! Oh did it ever pick up. It took an eternity to pick up, but man oh man it picked right up. Very happy, only complaint is that it's quite long.

Also, am I the first person to point out that this is remix 666? Funny it's the happiest track I've heard in a while on OCR.

• 7 months later...

Some of the weirdest reviews of the site are all up in this mix. WTF is goin' on.

The mix itself is in some serious need of some scissors; it takes forever to progress, and even then the expansion is minimal. Normally when I review a track i'll listen 3-4 to get all the nuances down, but this one I only had to listen twice, and I think even that was overkill. Sounds are dated, but the chiptunes are cool, and if you really REALLY love the theme this one is a keeper, because you are going to hear it for 6 minutes straight.

• 1 year later...

The chiptune chirps give off a perpetual vibe that's cute and bouncy, but at the same time sad and longing for something. I like how the blip-ish lead at 3:01 brings that same vibe to a more sensitive level. 3:54 is when the most elements play at once, making the lengthy buildup worthwhile. At 5:11, we say farewell to the beats as they walk into the sunset. Once they're out of earshot, we then hear Robocop call back a final time, putting a smile on our faces with the thought: "You know what? Things are gonna be all right!" A satisfying end.

Of course, CPC Zone can benefit from more active embellishments along the way. For example, I would've liked the guitarwork from 2:10 to return at 3:54 and boost the collective energy a knob. Alternatively, it could act as a countermelodic bass, playing syncopated notes and bass runs, to actively guide the listener into the next measures (listen to 0:30-1:45 in track 2 of the GBS file to get an idea). The chiptune chirps might even try some lower-key iterations (like in track 3 of the GBS), or simply take a breather while other synths work out new combinations.

Wishful thinking, yeah. But the aforementioned "longing" emotion is potent.

• 6 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00666 - RoboCop "CPC Zone"