OCR00641 - Final Fantasy VIII "Liberi Fatali Overhaul"

m68030

Final Fantasy VIII 'Liberi Fatali Overhaul'

Matt Pollard really knows his stuff. This is a great example of how

throwing a drum track over an original can sound great. And since he's

better than just slapping down some dirty looping he builds on it with

a chippish organ patch, sort of a dirty saw wave thing. Chewy.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Dude. I could listen to this all day long if I wanted. So autumn-sunsetty. I love the whole 8-bit-ish-ness. Part of it (0:16 - 0:32) reminded me of the bonus level in Battletoads & Battlemaniacs. Though I think you can go farther with the voices - they're a little too... little in the mix. I want more of them! In fact, this whole mix leaves me a little bereft somehow. It's not quite... complete. That's the word. I want to reach out a hand and help it - or hope it reaches its hand out to me and finishes the job.

Anyways, don't mind my rant. Good job.

• 8 months later...
I really did try to play FF8, but the menu system was so convoluted that it drove me insane. I will say that FF9 is much better.

Agreed, still haven´t cleared it, but the music is sooo good.

For the song, it´s hard for me to recognize the track. I mean, the lyrics with is 100% obvious of course, but just the melody is hard enuff. Kudos to master pollard, this is like that program "The Swan", but now mp took a classical symphonic piece and updated it to the age of techno, nice done dude. I can feel it! Come on!

• 1 year later...

I love the original version of Liberi Fatali, but I have to say that I have a much better time remembering how the opening of FFVIII played when I listen to Pollard's mix. :) Love the organ work, and the addition of drums makes it fairly fun. I think the only thing I didn't like was the inclusion of the vocals. They seemed a bit too flat for perkiness of the remix. Other than that, this is be my favourite FFVIII remix. :)

• 5 months later...

I think using more of the voices and mixing them in with the cool chiptunes would have made it better. What is kindof strange to me is that without the voices, I don't think the song would have been very good, but the voices by themselves would be lame as well. I guess what i'm trying to say is that remix isn't just the sum of it's parts, and is good but not great.

• 6 months later...

I'm not the first person to say this piece is interesting, but although I like Fools Gold by the Stone Roses (where the inspiration for the looping drum comes from, I'm assuming. They both sound very similar) and i liked the original Liberi Fatali, this crossover just doesn't tickle my pickle really.

Sorry Matt, but as a fan of both pieces by their own, and as good as the splice might sound to others, it just fails to float my boat.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the track feels a little lacking. It's a pretty old track and it shows in the production in my opinion. The sounds don't really mesh that well and it sounds thrown together and not that original. I quite dislike the bass, for example. It's not that bad overall though, the voice sample use is intresting and the chips & beats thing could well work, but it's kinda half-baked as it is.

--Eino

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
8-O I really want to like it, but I wonder if itz only me who thinkz 0:49 soundz alot like Drawn to Life. My problem iz that the vocalz sound kinda out of place, seeing as how the music soundz so cheery like Drawn to Life. Overall, I'm still going to download it because the music -not vocalz- won me over. (this being because there aren't any Drawn to Life mixes) Itz good though. I'd rate it 4/5 or 8/10. :)!!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00641 - Final Fantasy VIII "Liberi Fatali Overhaul"