blues mixes

Quizzledorf

• 9 months later...
I just found this thread and that remix isn't very bluesy at all. I sounds like Jazz(yuck!).

From a compositional perspective, it's done in the form of a 12-bar blues. Also, given that jazz and blues kind of grew up together, share common roots, and have influenced each other, it's not that surprising that there's a jazz-oriented blues mix. From the little I know about blues, I can see why you wouldn't like the track, but to say that it isn't bluesy is wrong.

I'm sure you do, but what does that have to do with anything?

That doesn't completly make sense, but I think you're making the mistake of saying jazz and blues are the same thing.

jazz and blues kind of grew up together, share common roots, and have influenced each other
I wouldn't say that they grew up together. I mean, blues started way before jazz. Granted, I'm not big on Jazz but isn't Louis Armstrong one of the first Jazz guys. Blues started back in the early 1900's and I'm pretty sure Louis Armstrong is like a 1940's musician. I'd say Jazz is more like what rock grew up with. They're kind of like Blue's babies.

Either way, I still think that it's not bluesy, it may be a twelve bar blues but the rythm isn't as strict as blues should be. It's kind of like Jazz-Blues fusion.

I wouldn't say that they grew up together. I mean, blues started way before jazz. Granted, I'm not big on Jazz but isn't Louis Armstrong one of the first Jazz guys. Blues started back in the early 1900's and I'm pretty sure Louis Armstrong is like a 1940's musician. I'd say Jazz is more like what rock grew up with. They're kind of like Blue's babies.

Either way, I still think that it's not bluesy, it may be a twelve bar blues but the rythm isn't as strict as blues should be. It's kind of like Jazz-Blues fusion.

Louis was playing dixieland jazz in 1919, if not earlier. Unlike musicians in many other genres, most jazz musicians who achieved fame did so across multiple decades. Louis died in the 70's, and played pretty much continually from 1919 until his death.

The first recorded jazz was in 1917 (Livery Stable Blues by the Original Dixieland Jazz Band), which, I believe, predates the earliest Blues recordings by 5 years. Both genres have origins in the 1800's, and while it's probably fair to say that blues is older (although no one really knows the true origin of the blues; jazz is much more clear on that count), it's still fair and accurate to say they grew up together, although blues may have been jazz's older sibling. I mean, unless you're listening strictly to the early blues recordings from the early 1920's (in which case I'd suggest you listen to blues as it's evolved over the years, not just the early recorded roots), then you have to admit that both genres were growing up for the entire 1900's and are still evolving (although jazz is generally more popular and innovative than blues nowadays).

The roots of jazz were initially in African music, classical music (chamber music in particular) and ragtime, melded together in New Orleans. Blues was an influence on later genres of jazz, but not, as far as I know, on dixie.

As for the Neskevartetten track, I suspect that your issue isn't as much that the song isn't "bluesy" but that it doesn't fit *your* conception of blues. Genres are a grey area, and while I don't think the song can be categorized into either jazz or blues, it's more blues than jazz, hence it being labelled as a blues tune. Maybe it technically is a "blues-jazz fusion" (confusing enough since fusion is its own genre already), but labelling songs with all the genres they might be a part of gets to be tedious really quickly.