How's FF VI on the gba

anclunn

Well i just picked it up. For the most part it is the same game. Though there are a few differences that eventhough they are very small still kinda bug me. For instance, instead of learning Antidote, you learn Poisona. Also the soundtrack sounds close to the same, but the main battle theme as well as the boss theme sound a little weird to me. Another thing is i feel as though the encounter rate is higher, but i could just be imagening things there. The biggest change i have noticed after starting is now there is a dash button, just like in all the other GBA FF's. So even after you find/buy the sprint shoes, with the dash you move even faster. To some this might be nice, but i still like doing it the old fashion way without using it, and then sticking to the sprint shoes. Other than that it is very close to the game we have all learned to love but in the end i am going to have to prefer Final Fantasy 3 for my SNES over this GBA one.

I bought the Japanese version while I was abroad, and it's quite lovely.

Unfortunately it's currently been supplanted by Yggdra Union

I recieved Yggdra Union for x-mas but ive been too busy with Magical Starsign and FFIII.

Can you tell me what you like about Yggdra Union (and what you dont like)?

Now that this is out I'm planning on picking up Final Fantasy Anthologies (FFV and FFVI) instead. I heard the load times are annoying but I found it on Amazon for about $15! With Anthologies you get the soundtrack CD and the cutscenes so I'm sold.

Yeah, I wouldn't do that. I played anthologies and the load times, at least as far as I was concerned, killed all the fun of the game for me. While a three to five second load time may not sound that bad, believe me, when you get it for *every single battle* the time and monotony really starts to pile up. I'd say go with the GBA versions, even if they cost more. Plus, they're portable and both feature a Dash button.

"Edgar, you pinhead! Why do you have to live in the middle of nowhere?"

FF VI definitely had the most memorable quotes of any FF game. Here's a few others.

"Look at me! I'm a receptionist!"

"You sound like chapters from a self-help book"

"I'm a general, not some opera floozy"

"Yeouch! Seafood soup!"

"I'm a general, not some opera floozy"

And then like two minutes later, she's practicing like she'd been doing it for years. Ah, classic.

I just hope they don't change the tone of the game. A lot of those really funny lines were what helped it stay away from being an angst-fest. If the new localization does that for the game, someone at SquareEnix is going to be injured.

Now that this is out I'm planning on picking up Final Fantasy Anthologies (FFV and FFVI) instead. I heard the load times are annoying but I found it on Amazon for about $15! With Anthologies you get the soundtrack CD and the cutscenes so I'm sold.

The load times are worse than almost any game I've ever played. Also, it froze for me a lot, but I think my disc was scratched.