How's FF VI on the gba

anclunn

oh my god go to youtube and watch some videos from this game the sound quality is TERRIBLE. Kefka's laugh is garbage. There is some lag in the battling.

so yeah...I can't believe it but I won't be buying a remake of my favorite game ever.

I'll wait until I get a PSP and emulate the heck out of the original SNES version....or I'll just play the original SNES version since mine actually still works perfectly.

let's see....how is FFVI on GBA? hmmmmm

well uhhhh

IT'S FREAKING FINAL FANTASY VI AND IT CAN BE IN YOUR POCKET

aka buy it

[11:07:24 PM] Atmuh says: oh god

[11:07:38 PM] Atmuh says: just saw a video of FFVI advance

[11:07:50 PM] Atmuh says: not buying thank you very much

[11:08:12 PM] Arek says: why

[11:08:16 PM] Arek says: you picky?

[11:08:29 PM] Atmuh says: it sounds really bad

[11:08:32 PM] Arek says: ive already reached the three scenarios part

[11:08:33 PM] Atmuh says: REALLY

[11:08:35 PM] Arek says: if you are picky

[11:08:41 PM] Arek says: the music sucks

[11:08:42 PM] Atmuh says: with that game

[11:08:46 PM] Atmuh says: i am picky

[11:08:49 PM] Arek says: but that is because the snes game is 16 ports

[11:08:54 PM] Arek says: the gba only has 8 sound ports

[11:08:57 PM] Arek says: they worked with what they had

[11:09:15 PM] Atmuh says: i noticed a bit of lag in battling

[11:09:22 PM] Atmuh says: sometimes

[11:09:24 PM] Arek says: ive got nthing laggy so far

[11:09:44 PM] Atmuh says: I'll stick to the SNES version

[11:09:50 PM] Atmuh says: mine is still aight

[11:10:05 PM] Arek says: you do that

bahahah

Yes, because a youtube video of a rom is a perfect indicator of how the game is in an actual GBA.

You're retarded. It's pretty much proven and guaranteed that the sound sucks. Only 8 ports, m'kay? IV and V Advance suffered the same problems. Plus, I'm willing to bet the lag isn't a fault of the video; I know in my time playing through IV Advance there was plenty of that to go around (although it was a minor blow compared to the atrocious nature of Chronicles and Anthologies on PSX). The simple fact of the matter is that Squeenix have yet to produce a port that lives up to the quality of the original. Not, of course, that I blame them: in realistic terms, these things just don't make as much money as continuing the franchise.

And once again lack of research shows up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Nintendo_Entertainment_System#Technical_specifications

# Sound

* Sound Controller Chip: 8-bit Sony SPC700 CPU for controlling the DSP chips independent of the main 5A22 CPU. The main CPU communicates with this sound controller through a set of four memory mapped registers.

o Clock Speed: 1.024 MHz

o Sound RAM: 64 kB shared between SPC700 and S-SMP

o Memory Cycle Time: 279 milliseconds

* Main Sound Chip: Sony S-SMP

o Hardware ADPCM decompression

o 8-channel PCM

o Hardware sound effects:

+ Pitch modulation;

+ 8-tap FIR filter (typically used for reverberation);

+ ADSR and 'GAIN' (discretely controlled) volume envelopes.

o Polyphony of 8 notes per voice

* SFx sound chip: Sony/Nintendo S-DSP

o 3-channel PCM

* Second Order Low-pass Filter, one for each channel, for improved quality of low-frequency (bass) tones

* Pulse Code Modulator: 16-bit ADPCM (if programmer uses 4-bit compressed ADPCM samples, expanded to 16-bit resolution, processed with an additional 4-point Gaussian sound interpolation)

* Although the SNES is normally only able to output stereo sound, a few games (such as Jurassic Park and Super Turrican) use Dolby Pro-Logic to create surround sound embedded in the stereo sound signals.

* Note: While not directly related to SNES hardware, the standard extension for SNES audio subsystem state files saved by emulators is .SPC, a format used by SPC players.

Note that there's only 8 PCM channels, not 16 "ports".

Meanwhile, the GBA's audio hardware is a bit of unknown black magic, since there's no full official specs on it.

From what I can find it uses the GB's 4 audio channels(Two square-wave, one of which has a frequency sweep, one sample, and one noise), along with Direct Sound channel A and B.

The GBAS is a big step forward its older brothers because it now includes two Pulse Width Modulators (PWM) that act as digital-to-analog converters. This adds to the 4 sound channels present on the previous Gameboys. One important improvement to the sound system is that channel 3 's wave ram is now banked, allowing for distortion-free dynamic wave ram reloading.

The GBA BIOS also contains many sound-related functions, for converting MIDI notes and playing music. BIOS may be covered in the future.

More on that can be found here:

http://belogic.com/gba/

There's also something nice here:

http://www.gbadev.org/docs.php?showinfo=14

While the linked article doesn't work, look at the description:

While it's true that information about the video hardware of the GBA is plentiful on the 'net, the well appears to dry up as soon as one starts investigating the system's audio capabilities. (The notable exception to this is the Audio Advance website, but even it doesn't provide any examples of sample mixing) As you might have guessed, that's where this series of articles come in. By the time it is finished, I will have documented in careful detail the steps necessary to create a fully functional, eight channel, 22KHz sample mixer that uses (at most) 10 percent of the CPU. I should note that I will not be covering the Sound Channels 1-4, as they appear to be little more than a holdover from the Gameboy Color, and are not involved in the playback of recorded samples. Instead, I will cover what are called the "Direct Sound" hardware channels.

Important part is bolded, because it means that the GBA can technically do SNES-quality sound.

From what I've found the sound system used on SNES and on GBA isn't comparable in any way. There's no listing of the amount of audio channels a GBA can handle(Although there's some homebrew using up to 16 channels)

Apparently it all depends on the audio engine the developer creates, because the GBA can do some pretty kickass sound if required.

The GBA version is quite good. Sound quality seems a little worse, but it's not really bad enough to be an issue. The advantage of GBA portability more than compensates for this.

Besides, as has been said already, it's FREAKING FFVI. Easily the best RPG on the SNES, and one of the best Final Fantasies. So buy it.

I tend to play my DS on the subway while listening to music on my iPod, so I have the sound off. Yes, the sound is worse, but most of the other stuff is fine. I haven't seen any lag yet, and while the translation is noticeably different, there are a number of lines that have been left the same, or are very similar, such as Kefka's "AHEM. There's SAND on my boots". From the little I've seen so far, they haven't done much, if anything, that changes the personalities of any of the characters, especially Kefka.

[11:07:24 PM] Atmuh says: oh god

[11:07:38 PM] Atmuh says: just saw a video of FFVI advance

[11:07:50 PM] Atmuh says: not buying thank you very much

[11:08:12 PM] Arek says: why

[11:08:16 PM] Arek says: you picky?

[11:08:29 PM] Atmuh says: it sounds really bad

[11:08:32 PM] Arek says: ive already reached the three scenarios part

[11:08:33 PM] Atmuh says: REALLY

[11:08:35 PM] Arek says: if you are picky

[11:08:41 PM] Arek says: the music sucks

[11:08:42 PM] Atmuh says: with that game

[11:08:46 PM] Atmuh says: i am picky

[11:08:49 PM] Arek says: but that is because the snes game is 16 ports

[11:08:54 PM] Arek says: the gba only has 8 sound ports

[11:08:57 PM] Arek says: they worked with what they had

[11:09:15 PM] Atmuh says: i noticed a bit of lag in battling

[11:09:22 PM] Atmuh says: sometimes

[11:09:24 PM] Arek says: ive got nthing laggy so far

[11:09:44 PM] Atmuh says: I'll stick to the SNES version

[11:09:50 PM] Atmuh says: mine is still aight

[11:10:05 PM] Arek says: you do that

bahahah

Haha Atma Weapon lol

oh my god go to youtube and watch some videos from this game the sound quality is TERRIBLE. Kefka's laugh is garbage. There is some lag in the battling.

so yeah...I can't believe it but I won't be buying a remake of my favorite game ever.

I'll wait until I get a PSP and emulate the heck out of the original SNES version....or I'll just play the original SNES version since mine actually still works perfectly.

If it's a remake of a game you have why are you buying it? Are the extras enough, if it has any? I wouldn't buy something I already have a copy of.

If it's a remake of a game you have why are you buying it? Are the extras enough, if it has any? I wouldn't buy something I already have a copy of.

I don't know about the extras in VI, but IV Advance left me dissatisfied and I eventually traded it back in. Plus, I couldn't stand looking at the horrible new Rosa portrait in the menu any longer. Unless there's a significant difference in the VI extras, then I surmise there's little reason beyond "FFVI on the go" to lay down the cash for it.

I don't know about the extras in VI, but IV Advance left me dissatisfied and I eventually traded it back in. Plus, I couldn't stand looking at the horrible new Rosa portrait in the menu any longer. Unless there's a significant difference in the VI extras, then I surmise there's little reason beyond "FFVI on the go" to lay down the cash for it.

Especially if you already have the damn game. If you're willing to purchase all the SNES games you had all over again for the DS/GBA, it'd be cheaper to just buy a PSP, the emulation would be better.

The only reason I buy these is that I never had them, and since I knew they'd be re-released I never played them on a emulator. Which I dislike doing on the computer anyway.

As far as I know, FFVI is only on GBA due to an inaccurate prediction made by Nintendo. In order to get FFVI on a Nintendo portable, they probably had to gaurantee Square-Enix a certain amount of profit or something like that. Had it been on the DS, I feel that they could have done a little more with FFVI if it hadn't already been decided to be a direct port. Personally, I don't feel that they have to necessarily cater to the GBA audience but more compatibility with more portables definitely doesn't hurt.

I purchased FFV and was thinking about FFVI. But I haven't yet even started FFV. So I'll beat it and then think about FFVI despite people's gripes about it. It is after all, still FFVI.

Wikipedia says there are supposed to be 4 new espers, a new dungeon, and something else where you fight monsters continuously.

New espers: Gilgamesh, Leviathan, Diablos, and Jumbo Cactuar.

New Dungeon: The same after-game dungeon dealie FF1, 2, and 5 had.

Fight Monsters Continuously: Probably the Boss Rush Mode, which was also in FF5, available after you beat the optional dungeon.

That's insane. I'd go crazy sitting for that long. I can't stand living more than 10 mins from my university and work.

hour and a half (each way) commute to new york city every day

well screw it I'm gonna go buy this anyway I guess...I just like the original too much

Wow, I expected more FFVI Advance love :(

So far I'm finding this to be the better version of the game. Yea I have the nostalgia of the old script, but honestly the game kinda needed the update. At least they worked around the old script so it still is familiar. Also now things between all the FF are pretty consistent (enemies with correct names, Espers with their original names, items called what they should be).

Battle so far I haven't noticed much of a difference. Only somewhat noticeable (but far from makes it unplayable) slow downs are with some spell effects, Autocross bow (shoots kinda sluggish compared to the original) and small bits of lag in some towns or very cluttered areas. But honestly it doesn't bother me nor does it ruin the gameplay.

Music yea took a hit, well many hits. But its also improved in other areas. With smoke's research GBA should be able to play the songs normally but mostly what is know is the sound hardware is hard to produce that quality of sound. Also the speaker isn't the best in the world. But anyway, Music for GBA is pretty both faithful and good. Some songs, like the battle themes, were changed dramatically but not towards a good light. Others have hardly not much noticeable change to the untrained ear. Some are changed noticeably but better (Opera songs IMO fall under here).

Like FFV Advance, I believe IMO that this is the superior version (not by a lot, unlike FFV) as the SNES version needed a bit of polish now and the Psx version just sucked.

So my vertict, if you love this game and are on the go a lot (or even a little its a nice game to play in bursts) get it. I still recommend it to those that aren't on the go just to see the small but kinda cool extras. But if your too picky about the music or messing with the original script....yea I'd think about it hard.