OCR00642 - Final Fantasy "Beginning of the Fantasy"

m68030

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Never expected that the beginning of fantasy had groovy beats. Overall, a nice, flowing mix with some strings that gives this mix that touch of orchestral that so many of us reviewing dudes adore.

But it was first at 1:22 that I actually heard the prelude, the rest was beautiful but hardly recognizing, but it may just be old fantasyless me, great work mp.

• 1 year later...

Cool intro, with some very creative arrangement throughout. The production is really cluttered, as everything seems to be smashed into one tiny frequency band, which limits the mix a bit. I actually had to activly listen for the prelude parts within the mix, and they are definitely there, but it may be a few listens.

Very creative work, just wish the production was there.

I like this piece, and after really sitting down and listening to it for the first time in more than a year, I was actually a bit hard pressed to remember why I liked it.

I couldn't distinguish anything that resembled a Final Fantasy tune, and it was a bit boring, to be quite frank.

But, once I hit 1:22, I remembered. The break in the beat and the heavy-hitting harp in favour of something lighter is the key, I feel. It's almost a chant. I don't know anything about remixing or the programs used or anything about musical intruments for that matter, so I don't know what exactly was used or how it came about, but I do like that little section there.

-Jehy-

• 1 year later...

I don't think I would have recognized this as FF if I heard it without the title. I think it's too obscure. I enjoyed listening to it, and when I finally heard the 'melody' I could make out what had been done. Overall I felt that I had to look way too hard to find the remix in this, if that makes sense.

I agree with OA about the frequencies, there could have been more going on higher and lower to expand the range of the piece.

It's a nice piece, but just too obscure for my tastes.

I don't think I would have recognized this as FF if I heard it without the title. I think it's too obscure. I enjoyed listening to it, and when I finally heard the 'melody' I could make out what had been done. Overall I felt that I had to look way too hard to find the remix in this, if that makes sense.

I agree with OA about the frequencies, there could have been more going on higher and lower to expand the range of the piece.

It's a nice piece, but just too obscure for my tastes.

But the theme was right in the background maybe 20 seconds in. It was understated, but it was there.

• 1 month later...

I find this nothing short of brilliant.

There are at least two source tunes present: The Prelude and Prologue. The Prelude starts at 0:14, runs intermittently throughout, and is done in a relatively straightforward manner. The brilliance, as I see it, is mp's interpretation of Prologue, which comprises the majority of this remix and is either altered or subdued so much that it's nearly impossible to spot. The countermelody of Prologue can be easily heard at 1:02; and a 2x speed melody, with a good portion of the notes omitted, can be heard at the beginning. Interpretations of Prologue comprise the rest of the mix.

I can't speak to production, but I think the arrangement is gorgeous. The handoff between the cello and the piano at 0:30 is seamless, and the voices at 1:22 give an ethereal, haunting aura. The static is a nice touch - it gives a distant feeling, which plays to the solemness of the piece. The rather inspiring originals have become very somber... it is as if hope remains but is guised - shrouded by the seemingly endless path of tribulations that await. If I were to save the world, I would want to start my quest to this song.

Thank you, Mr Pollard.

• 5 months later...
There's some nice arranging going on here. The very beginning sounds so familiar, as from not a Final Fantasy game

I think that the intro comes from FF7 Anxious Hearts myself but that could simply be because the tone of the instruments is similar.

Other than that I really like the mix. It's well done and a great mixture of sounds, not to mention the mixture of bleak and hope feelings throughout. I really like the almost chanting-like sound at 1:22, probably the best part of the song.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I feel like most people have misunderstood this... like wondering where the source is? It's harmony for almost the entire piece! Not a strong loud - out of place - melody that is often the case. I thought that this made for brilliant background music - which is what video game music is.

The muddy soundscape was right on the money, there was no stand out...

Only criticism would be of the drums which sit outside the music - that hi hat murders a few sections... it's a relief when it isn't playing. With revised drum work this song could really be something special.

Great idea, got really close... keep it up

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00642 - Final Fantasy "Beginning of the Fantasy"