Foreign minister to open Swedish embassy in Second Life

lazygecko

It would appear that nobody gives a damna bout any gaming-related news I post anymore, yet feel more inclined to discuss a FFVII remake for the bazillionth time. My predictions about this place degenerating into a mindless Nintendo/Square-based forum after the Unmod purge were true.

There is nothing left for me here.

I'm not sure how this even makes sense. There is nothing exlusive about the Internet, so how does opening an embassy in Second Life represent anything useful?

I have a feeling he's being covertly hostile and will eventually use his sway with Internet gamers to pass Internet restrictions/taxes. Just wait until he gets griefed.

I'm not sure how this even makes sense. There is nothing exlusive about the Internet, so how does opening an embassy in Second Life represent anything useful?

If Sweden's political process is anything like America's, then he's trying to use Second Life to win the support of younger voters. He'll especially win them over if he plays all the time. And regarding your other comment, he's not going to try to use any internet popularity to create internet restrictions/taxes. That would prove disastrous, considering virtual protesters can do more damage to the embassy than real protesters.

Sweden's not the only country getting in on this. Somewhere in the game is a Capital Hill, with Nancy Pelosi planning to appear to answer questions soon. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16721097/site/newsweek/)

This "gamer" demographic is a huge untapped resource in politics, one that John Kerry failed to win over in 2004. Look at it this way: if you were a Second Life player, and you knew a presidential candidate played the game too, wouldn't you want to vote for him? There's already a level of connection there because he/she plays the same game that you do.

Gecko, don't feel so bad. This is really more of a PPR thread than anything. If someone here made a "OMG FFVII DS REMAKE!!1" thread in PPR, the reaction would be the same.

It would appear that nobody gives a damna bout any gaming-related news I post anymore, yet feel more inclined to discuss a FFVII remake for the bazillionth time. My predictions about this place degenerating into a mindless Nintendo/Square-based forum after the Unmod purge were true.

There is nothing left for me here.

If I heard this news, I would have posted it as well.

This is really quite fascinating. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

/not sarcasm, really do find this fascinating