Sonic the Hedgehog's sad state

Sir_NutS

It's a shame.

Sonic is my childhood and profiteering (i.e. rushing out a buggy and broken game) is killing it.

HOWEVER, Sonic Rush was ace.

Sonic Rivals, though I've never played it, was supposedly decent.

The Sonic and the Secret Rings impressions are all surprisingly positive.

But the 'big one' failed through greed - no self-respecting game company should have allowed Sonic 2K6 out. To be honest, although Sonic Heroes is often cited as the series downfall, it was Shadow's game that killed it for me.

Surely quality control should be the thing of most importance to Sega and maybe they will realise that as the poor Sonic 2K6 reviews and sales should support.

I almost went off gaming after my favourite series went so downhill, however, Gears of War has reeled me back in and I await a return to the glory days in the future. One can only hope.

There hasn't been a good Sonic game since what? S&K? Yeah. Thats about the last one. Kill him off.

I actually enjoyed Sonic Adv. on dreamcast, for the time it was really pretty, and a very good start, the game wasn't perfect but showed promise and at some points you could feel that adrenaline rush from older sonic games. The series started to die for me after S Adv.2 when they started to forget what sonic was about.

If the Wii version is at least as decent as Sonic adv. 1, and then a bit more fun then there's still hope.

I knew this game would end up blowing as soon as they revealed Silver. Sonic needs less characters. I think the series peaked at Sonic 2, and though a few good games have come out after that, nothing has quite matched up to Sonic 1, 2 and CD.

I knew this game would end up blowing as soon as they revealed Silver. Sonic needs less characters. I think the series peaked at Sonic 2, and though a few good games have come out after that, nothing has quite matched up to Sonic 1, 2 and CD.

Yeah I agree, SEGA: less Characters please. Focus on sonic and tails, and create a deep experience with only those, I think that would work better than trying to focus on a bunch of characters that, in my opinion, aren't nearly as likable as sonic, and most of them are plain annoying. I think the focus on sonic is one of the elements that will make the Wii version superior.

Yeah I agree, SEGA: less Characters please. Focus on sonic and tails, and create a deep experience with only those, I think that would work better than trying to focus on a bunch of characters that, in my opinion, aren't nearly as likable as sonic, and most of them are plain annoying. I think the focus on sonic is one of the elements that will make the Wii version superior.

Hopefully the other characters will stay in the Multiplayer portion.

Hopefully.

I thought Sonic Adventure was decent, and the same goes for "2". Sonic Heroes was a bit iffy, and Shadow the Hedgehog, while not as horrid as some reviews made it out to be, was a mistake. It's like the same game engine kept getting used over and over again, as all the games have camera issues, control issues, and lack speed to the same degree. The only thing that changed, was the graphics aspect with the newer games. Maybe it's time for Sonic Team to let someone else have a 3-D go at it.

And am I the only one who actually enjoyed Sonic 3D Blast? Sure, it wasn't as fast as the previous Genesis (and later, Saturn) games, but it was still fun.

Sonic Heroes was a step in the right direction. Sure, it was cheesy, but the return of 2 act levels and bosses, as well as the debut of special stages in a 3D Sonic Game was a promising start. Sonic Heroes should have been the launch point that would lead to a great 3D Sonic game that would have the gameplay of the Genesis games, but in 3D. However, Sonic Team went down at Shadow the Hedgehog, and it hasn't been the same since.

I knew this game would end up blowing as soon as they revealed Silver.

Funnily enough, I found Silver's gameplay the most fun of anyone's in that thing (Sonic handled like a skateboard on ice and Shadow was only marginally better). It's amazing how utterly retarded they made Tails' flying, and don't even get me started on his attack.

Why do people hold out hope that the Wii version will be any better? The same company is making it and you can expect the same horrible results, only with a wonkier control scheme.

But seriously, I think just about all Sonic games outside the GBA/DS Sonic games can go to the "crap games we love" list.

And even with the handheld Sonic games, the attacks are just bad. Actually, the core gameplay of Sonic games are a bit suspect. You can barely see the action happening in front of you and you merely jump and attack out of impulse a lot of the times. And a lot of trial and error gameplay.

Why do people hold out hope that the Wii version will be any better? The same company is making it and you can expect the same horrible results, only with a wonkier control scheme.

SEGA has been doing this for years, and people don't realise.

SEGA: Hay guys remember when Sonic was good? We're bringing that back with the new one! Honestly this time!

Fans: Yay!

Sega: Oops lol, sorry guys.

Fans: Boo!

SEGA: Hay guys remember when Sonic was good? We're bringing that back with the new one! Honestly this time!

Repeat for the next 7 titles.

While the above is amazingly accurate, it's probably the 'classic' Sonic appeal of Secret Rings bringing people in. No extra human characters, lack of corny story etc. Even if the experience turns out lacklustre, nostalgia would probably hold it up for the dedicated fans.

As for me, there's plenty other good games on the market I can play instead. Not waiting for Sonic Team to get their shit together.

Mr. Roboto: As far as has been revealed, Tails and Knuckles make non-playable appearances in the main game. The rest of the characters are relegated to the multiplayer section. So this time it's all about Sonic, which is a good thing.

No, the Wii version is by an entirely different development team. Sure, it's within SEGA, but not everything to come out of them lately has been terrible (See: Outrun 2 SP, or anything else by AM2 or Amusement Vision). Sonic Team is the problem with Sonic lately: Not SEGA itself.

I personally loved Sonic Heroes. After the atrocious wasted hours of treasure-hunting in SA2, it was nice to go back to a game that was pretty much just about the speed, even if the team aspect was a little convoluted and camera problems were still there. Not perfect, but I certainly thought it was an improvement. I thought Shadow was pretty boring, but not necessarily bad. At least the music was pretty good (as has been the case with all of the 3D titles up until the new StH, when they got someone other than Jun Senoue. Stupid Sonic Team).

I actually liked the Sonic Adventure series too. But those were definitely not very good titles objectively speaking. Horrible camera, on-rails platforming, music that was borderline insane at times, etc. But at least the characters were cute and the whole atmosphere was pretty good.

But you hear the same complaints about Sonic games now: Too short (even if the oldschool Sonic games were very short in their own right, a 3 hour game is considered too short nowadays. And I spent one day of Sonic Heroes rental and beat it all), too easy or too difficult depending on how much the camera angles mess up the action and etcetera.

At least I can argue that one other game series is falling apart in a worse fashion and that is the Silent Hill series.

I pinpoint the exact moment that the Sonic series was destroyed as Sonic Adventure 2. When I first saw Shadow, all I could think of was that scene from the episode of the Simpsons where they added Poochie to the Itchy and Scratchy show. "Needs more attitude." It should just be Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. That's all. And they should never, EVER speak. EVER. It makes it all so much worse.

I refused to play Shadow the Hedgehog when it came out, I refused Sonic Heroes, and I nearly puked when they decided "lawl lets put sonic on a AIR BORD LOLOLOL!" It sickens me.

I'm going to go play the anniversary collection on my Gamecube now and enjoy S3&K, probably the high point of the series (except perhaps CD- I don't know, I've never played). Screw the new Sonic game and how dare they give it the same title as the sacred original. Blasphemers.