Sonic the Hedgehog's sad state

Sir_NutS

Just a few reviews I've seen around (yeah, I know, some of the sources...).

Game On: 92/100

Official Nintendo Magazine (Europe): 81%

Family Friendly Gaming: 90/100

Gaming Age: B+ (88%)

Electronic Playground 4/5 (80%)

1Up: 7.5

IGN: 6.9

GameSpot: 7.6

GameBrink: 81/100

Apparently a lot of the reaction to the music is similar to that of Sonic R and Sonic Rush in terms of love-it-or-hate-it. I was hoping for more Arabian-themed stuff, personally...

This is the score I thought it would get, around 7~7.5, and I think that what Matt said in his review at ign was right, maybe this is a better game than adventure or adv 2, it's getting a lower score everywhere because people were dazzled by the (by the time) awesome 3d graphics that the dreamcast showed.

He also Called it the best 3d sonic game ever created, but I'm gonna have to try that myself, I'm still a sonic adv. 1 fan.

I see why Matt chose that review score despite the rest of his review suggesting something higher. He wanted to make a point to the Sonic team to get rid of the programming glitches that still plague Sonic games. I can respect that.

Posted this in the Wii thread but hey whatever:

Snagged the last copy of Sonic Wii at my Toys R Us. I've played for about an hour now. The game looks really great, but the menu music is kinda bad. The first set of missions are tutorials that end in around 10 seconds, so the music recurs a lot more than I would like. English voice acting is awful. I swapped to Japanese right away. Much more pleasant. Controls don't feel spot on, but that's part of the learning curve I think. I felt the same way about Excite Truck at first but now I can steer through anything. Speaking of which, Sonic feels a lot like Excite Truck with the sensitivity dulled down a bit.

Sonic's jumping is handled differently this time around, where the height of the jump depends on how long you hold down the jump button. Not what I'm used to, but it works within the game design. Shaking the remote to attack feels REALLY good, but I need to work on the timing a bit. The level-up system isn't taught seemlessly, but it's pretty easy to figure out, and you'll want to figure it out fast. Sonic's pretty sluggish at the beginning. Overall, if you liked the better of the Sonic Adventure titles, you'll probably like this game a fricken lot.

Two different teams worked on Sonic for 360 & PS3 and the Wii Sonic - I think I remember hearing that the one that worked on the 360/PS3 one kinda got stuck with it, so they couldn't do much with it.

Do you think Next Gen would have been better if the teams weren't split? What if Sonic Team decided to stay together and work on Next Gen first before going onto Wild Fire (I know that isn't the right name, but I really liked the title "Sonic Wild Fire")? Any chance both games might have been better?

So, time spent on creating a game determines if it's good or bad? Duke Nukem Forever will be fucking awesome then.

omg!!!11!! so THAT''Z y itz kall3d d0ok no0kum 4eva!!11!!!

Seriously, they finally released a tiny screenshot a few weeks ago, and they've continued to feed the people on forums.3drealms.com the usual "we're making good progress, we have several gigs of data, we're polishing the finishing touches, we like pigcops, strippers and pigcop strippers,"

When it's done, baby. When it's done.

So, figured I'd drop in and post my impressions.

I got my game today (and have been shamelessly wearing the pre-order bonus wristband this whole time), and logged a good three-four hours into it.

Just to get something out of the way for anyone who rented it or bought it and feel distressed at the get go, just hold on a few.

I feel the tutorial goes on just a bit too long (Really, they could've just as well made it one long mission for the basics...), and the first level is nothing special. When you start off, the controls feel almost clunky as well. That's not a design flaw however. Oddly enough, it's a design choice... Anyway, you quickly get skills to fix that. Slap on a couple movement skills to smooth out the controls and improve the top speed and accelleration. It's a mild annoyance that they did it this way, but eh.

Once you smoothen out the controls and get used to them, it's smooth as butter. What starts off as an awkward way to homing-attack becomes second nature, and you'll easily nab long strings of rings.

Around the second level, you start to feel that twinge. There's a lot of speed, and a lot of stuff to dodge. The platforming elements work surprisingly well. I'm up to level 4, and both 3 and 4 have really impressed me by the sheer rush I feel when playing them.

Also, frankly, I think the music is hatable, but it's not as bad as the reviews make it out to be. If you like the adventure tunes in general, you'll at least enjoy it. If you don't, you'll hate it, simple enough. I get a sort of guilty pleasure at how I find 3's cheesily win.

The story is bunk, no one should be surprised. At least it doesn't take itself seriously. Skip the scenes and save yourself a headache.

The thing that I find most striking however is that it feels so... So... Polished. It leaves me wondering if I'm playing an entirely different series. Oh sure, there's still the off hand cheap hit, but they're really rare. I've run into maybe one glitch in all the missions I've played (Can't remember what it was, just that it annoyed me and didn't happen again), and of course, the camera never impedes with the gameplay.

The levels have plenty of gimmicks as well as speed, but they don't get in the way, and the fact that you always have a hand in them just makes the game feel better. Even when you're going at high speeds, you're still in control, unlike in almost every instance of real speed in the past games.

Long story short, you might not be satisfied I suppose, but I sure am. And I'm a Sonic Fan who gave up after the mess that was heroes, and only got more disgusted with the following two 'entries'.

It may not be a return to 'classic' Sonic standards, but I think I prefer that it goes, and succeeds, for new. And I mean, it feels like a genuinely good game. Not by Sonic standards, but by normal game standards.

Now I just hope it gets the sales to justify Sega looking into this method of play, because I could easily see a sequal being more 'Fight Robotnik', and I could see both Tails and Knuckles fitting in with good gameplay variations (Tails getting a lot more in-air happenings, Knuckles, being mostly grounded and moving just a tad slowly, but tearing through everything in his path).

Anyway, I need to stop here. I've got an old friend to visit with...

omg!!!11!! so THAT''Z y itz kall3d d0ok no0kum 4eva!!11!!!

Seriously, they finally released a tiny screenshot a few weeks ago, and they've continued to feed the people on forums.3drealms.com the usual "we're making good progress, we have several gigs of data, we're polishing the finishing touches, we like pigcops, strippers and pigcop strippers,"

When it's done, baby. When it's done.

I think you kinda misread my comment there. I've seen a lot of messages along the lines of "Games should take longer to develop so they'll be better", while there's plenty of proof that this is not always the case(And there are also games that took a short time to develop but are pretty great) That's what I was going for.

well I went to best buy today and noticed the secret rings was released. I somehow justified buying it and here we are.

I've only made it to the 2nd world, so I can't say much about it. I think Vyse is right. The first world is pretty much bleh. The 2nd one it feels like everything is out to kill you and you really have to be on your toes to stay alive. So it may pick up a bit after I level up some and get some more skills.

So far I have mixed feelings about it. The music is over the top cheesy, the story, dialog, and cut scenes are... not good. (the cut scenes are a personal taste thing though. I would have preferred they did prerendered CG, or in game engine ones ala SA1/2, but they are sticking with the, "inside a book" thing so I can understand it.) The sense of speed is back though, but it's just a bit too "on rails" for me so far. We'll see how it sits after a few days.

I think you kinda misread my comment there. I've seen a lot of messages along the lines of "Games should take longer to develop so they'll be better", while there's plenty of proof that this is not always the case(And there are also games that took a short time to develop but are pretty great) That's what I was going for.

Yeah, I know where you were going. I wasn't meaning to come across as a defensive Duke Nukem fan with the 1337-speak or anything, mostly just making fun of jokes about Duke Nukem Forever's development time and the development time itself.

And yes, Daikatana comes to mind with long-development games that end up being teh suck.

SATSR IS FUN!

I Like It.

Drack said he beat it in two days.

No way I'm buying that, oh and the multiplayer is absolute garbage.

also for no apparent reason I have the following Sonic Adventure 2 song stuck in my head:

Rolling around at the speed of sound

got places to go gotta FOLLOW my RAINBOW

someone keep it going

also for no apparent reason I have the following Sonic Adventure 2 song stuck in my head:

Rolling around at the speed of sound

got places to go gotta FOLLOW my RAINBOW

someone keep it going

can't stick around gotta keep moving on

guess what lies ahead only ONE WAY TO FIND OUT

must keep on moving ahead

no time for guesses follow my fdhweui instead

just jdfhwe on what you can be

ewfjhwefwehwjlwdhwl

follow me

dwjf in me

trust me and we can ESCAPE FROM THE CITY

I'll MAKE IT THROUGH ME AND YOU

FOLLOW ME

can't stick around gotta keep moving on

guess what lies ahead only ONE WAY TO FIND OUT

must keep on moving ahead

no time for guessing follow my my pain(?) instead

trusting in what you can't see

take my lead I'll set you free

follow me

set me free

trust me and we will ESCAPE FROM THE CITY

I'll MAKE IT THROUGH ME AND YOU

FOLLOW ME

come on you can do better than that

danger is lurking around every turn

trust your feelings got to LIVE AND LEARN

I know with some luck that I'll make it through

got no more options only ONE THING TO DO

I don't care what lies ahead

follow that street no matter what that may be(?)

come on you can do better than that

danger is lurking around every turn

trust your feelings got to LIVE AND LEARN

I know with some luck that I'll make it through

got no more options only ONE THING TO DO

I don't care what lies ahead

follow that street no matter what that may be(?)

Follow my pain? C'mon, use your head. It's plan.

It's also "find that next stage", not "follow that street"

It's also "other", not "more"... why am I even bothering? Hell, why are you? If you're gonna do it at least do it right.

Follow my pain? C'mon, use your head. It's plan.

It's also "find that next stage", not "follow that street"

It's also "other", not "more"... why am I even bothering? Hell, why are you? If you're gonna do it at least do it right.

ok I just got owned...well I was doing it from memory anyways.

LIVE AND LEEEEEARN

hanging on the edge of tomorrow!