OCR01552 - Chrono Cross "Dreaming Still"

djpretzel

My only complaint is that the beginning is way abrupt. Coming in straight away on the beat with the voice... I don't think that was a particularly inspired decision.

I'm the complete opposite. I loved the way this burst onto the scene, like a brief explosion of magical stardust candy. That's really the only way I can describe it. Very unique for an otherwise very chill mix.

I'm listening to this on my laptop speakers, so perhaps I'm missing some of the acoustic range, but the drum work seems fine to me. No complaints at all on this piece.

Once again, Jill both astounds and soothes with her calming voice. A light and airy appetizer for sweet dreams.

Took me three listens, and yeah I like this one. Vocals are great, especially the layering done with different vocal tracks, sounds lovely. I wish the drums in the first half of the song were a little... tighter? I dunno, it feels like they're a tad off beat. But the dissonance sorta adds to the song's general mood, so I guess that's a plus. This thing ends well too. Good stuff, I'm gonna throw it on my phone. Oh the whispering is awesome, btw.

Your voice has a great tone to it, I like it better in this than your previous stuff. The lyrics totally turn me on, I'm like 100% erect right now...

Only thing is, I'd prefer it to be about 10 years older. What I mean is, a mid 90s sound to this would be so much better. Some very mellow, wanky guitar soloing in the background, and an Elton John-esque piano coming in once in a while to blow things up.

Also, it would really benefit from a deep, fretless bass.

Good work!

Ah man... This would have been SO awesome if you'd have put the same effort into the drums throughout as you did to the part at 3:05, but they bring the whole thing down for me. I can just picture a solid bar of purple on a fruity loops playlist when I listen to them, which makes me cringe.

That aside, the voice work is amazing as usual. Beautiful harmonies make for some dreamy listening. Not enough can be said about your vocal work, really. Looking forwards to your next mix.

Jill, you never cease to amaze me with your vocals. U R SO GOOD! I have absolutely no problems with the mix, the vocals are crisp and the ESSSS's tickle my ears (in a good way). As for the drums, excellent work, there's a lot more effort put into these drums than most mainstream hip-hop producers would put into theirs. Lazy professional bums.

Last section is a nice highlight, and the haunting vocals give me goosebumps. Awesome work!

I thought the vocals were really nice. I guess the only issue that I had was that the drums felt really out of place in the track.

When the drum groove changed near the end, that felt much, much better and natural, I wish the whole song could've been more similar to that.

Her voice is such an important tonal element of the mix, why would you strip it out? Lyrics are lyrics, their enjoyment subject to personal taste.

Personally I really liked the almost drawled delivery, it made it easier to focus on the voice as instrument and not analyze the lyrics. Good comparison to Björk on the write-up--this also reminds me of the obvious Sarah McLachlan's ethereality. And the delivery of the line with the word "otherwise" (and the way each verse ends--some kind of bluesy or RnBish cadence or something?) reminded me a lot of Morcheeba, specifically, the song... "Otherwise." Very cool. :D

Lots of small beautiful touches in this, like the whispering. The layering of vocal tracks results in some downright haunting harmonies. Gorgeous, gorgeous song. OCR needs more trip-hop, plz and ty.

Yeah there are very few talented vocalists here. Most are amateurs...no offense guys. Pixitricks and Daniel Borosky (or however u spell his name) are the best here. Oh and can't forget Makke. But any hoo, dayamn girl u did a fine job :D

As a big fan of the Chrono series, and CC alone, this song really hit a chord with me. I don't want to spoil anything (though, there are probably few here who have played the game or plan to do so,) but the open-ended nature of the song fits the game, and the lyrics do as well. In my opinion, it can be seen from the perspectives of three important characters.

An absolutely lovely remix. It's a nice change from a lot of what we hear on OC, and yet, it still gets a lot approval and praise. Taking a lyrical song and making new lyrics for it are a challenge in itself, but being able to make it connect to the game (well, I felt it had a lot of symbolism concerning the game, :B) is a real accomplishment.

Your voice has a great tone to it, I like it better in this than your previous stuff. The lyrics totally turn me on, I'm like 100% erect right now...QUOTE]

See this is what i was talking about before......thats just wrong.

On another note, i said i didn't like this mix so much but i realized its pretty damn good background music.

At first I thought I was listening to a Jenova remix which would've been cool, but I was still very pleased :)

I'm sorry, I read that and thought it was really funny! Probably because I totally understand. :)

Regarding this mix, however...this is great! A few specific notes:

1) I liked the drums, I'm not sure what everyone else was hatin' about.

2) This has vocals that I think are actually good (I was less impressed with the vocals on your last CT mix - big improvement IMO this time around). I was very pleased with the harmonizing and think they played a huge role.

3) I didn't care for the source track on the Chrono Cross OST - but I really like this rendition of it! That's a great accomplishment for any remixer, if you ask me!

Nice work pixietricks. I like how you add a unique flavor and style to ocremix.org. Keep doing what you're doing!

If there was going to be a chrono cross movie, then this would be the ending/credits music. Just picture the last couple moments in the game, then th music starts, and after a few moments the video fades out to black, and then the credits rise up with the music continuing. Perfect.

Pixie your voice is transcendent. This is the kind of vocal work that I think will take OCR to the next level.

I do think the drum line was just a little too loud, but the fact that it's there and the rhythm are both excellent. It just seemed like it was competing with your voice a little.

Great job. I'll be listening to this one many times to come.

I had a chance to listen to this mix early on, and I must say I enjoyed it then as I do now. The repetitiveness of it can be an issue, but Jill's vocals and lyrics do help to make this track the experience that it is. The dreamy feel to it cinches the longing of the piece. A great forray into the world of a solo OCRemix for Pixietricks, and I can't way to hear more from her.

This is a fantastic remix. I work in a place that has singing lessons, so I hear a wide range of vocalists every day, from total beginners to masters. Your voice is incredible, I can tell you've been doing this a long time and are passionate about it. The end of the song is absolutely amazing. Keep up the good work!

I love a well done vocal performance on a song. A bad one can ruin it, but that's not the case here. My only complaint is that the double notation on the bassline is a little dissonant, but it's a fairly minor complaint. I really like where it picks up at 3:05, the change of tempo really imprints the song in my mind. It has kind of a Sarah McLaughlin feel to it.

This song is entire awesome, beginning to end. I love the mood of the song, the texture of your instruments, your voice, the lyrics, everything. There's just something about this song that really opens me up, only to realize I'm still a nerd with almost no hope and no future. Heh.

This song is now one of those I will not forget. Beautiful!!!!!!!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01552 - Chrono Cross "Dreaming Still"