OCR01552 - Chrono Cross "Dreaming Still"

djpretzel

The vocals are top-notch, but that is to be expected when pixietricks sings.

While I really dig her voice, I have some gripes with the music and some of the effects. In my opinion, the whispering in the background does not fit the romantic atmosphere, and I don't see the point in the faster section starting at 3:05. Don't get me wrong, I like this section, but it just doesn't really gel with the rest of the song. Dunno, it makes the 3 minutes before that seem like an elaborate intro...

This review might sound more negative than it actually is. I just want to say that it is a good song with awesome vocals; however, it could have been a better song with awesome vocals.

I got to the OC Remix homepage and thought, "Another CC remix by Pixietricks? SWEET!" I think this is a lovely mix. It's different from how I am used to feeling about this song, although the theme is similar--being apart from the one you love. I find remixes with vocals so interesting, and here I love both the lyrics and Pixietricks's beautiful voice. Keep it up, please! I want to hear more from you!

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone needs a chilled track like this. I actually liked the same-ness of the chord progression, it seems to be part of the point of the piece. The whispering around 1:25 is excellent and rounds out the track's cool mystery.

I particularly like the harmony. I have not noticed as much use of harmony in pixietricks' other pieces, but I think that harmony helps a lot when you have a voice that is pure like hers. I think it's harder on someone with a pure voice because the ear gets very unforgiving for straying off-key even an ioda, but harmony can help compensate for that.

All in all it's a dreamlike piece with an icy edge that really kindles the imagination!

Everything pixietrcks does always sounds like a whine to me. I don't know what it is - whether she sings slightly off key, or if it's the tone of her voice, or what; but when she sings, I feel like I'm listening to a nagging ex-girlfriend croon at me over the phone.

The rest of the song is top notch, aside from the drums which, as most other people have noted, are kind of overpowering. Otherwise, it moves slowly, is recognizeably faithful to the original material, and has smooth audio. 8/10 on everything but the vocals, 4/10 on the vocals themselves. Sorry, not every review can be ultra positive.

*Edit* Actually, what I said about the vocals is not entirely true, because I really enjoyed the singing in Journey's End, just not in this mix.

• 2 weeks later...

PixieTricks has a great voice, non indulgent, emotive and on key. I like the vocal harmonics here, very tasteful and timely. The backing percussives and effects are like the snowflakes in a chilling cold while the vocals are a warmth that pierces in crescendo to bring on a sunlit panoramic feel.

Definitely a standout here on ocremix, one of my faves although I havent played the game. I also love trance and it would be interesting to see if this could be made into a hybrid trance track a la Tiesto.

Great Work!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. The chill beats, the sweet moves, and then the amazing vocal harmonies in this piece make it incredibly beautiful. Jill, you've done it again, and not only that, you get better and better every time I hear you.

Aside: this piece also flows really well into Reuben Kee's "Beauty's Abomination".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Very beautiful remix here. Vocals sound great, very good processing on them. Good use of harmonies and vocals as background fillers in addition to main lyrics.

That said, I would've like to hear a more polished beat that makes some changes to keep it interesting. Overall, the backing track is pretty basic, but it's the vocals that are center stage here, and they're excellent.

• 9 months later...

well, *someone* uses Logic. blatantly.

anyway, nice mix. vocal mixes don't usually show up on my radar (or my collection) but i downloaded the torrents and this came up. nice mix, very mellow, interesting use of the drum loop at the end. would not normally see that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01552 - Chrono Cross "Dreaming Still"