CT Remix "Forest of the Damned"

Fratto

I made this several months ago and I've already submitted it to OCR, but the responses I've gotten from others so far lead me to believe that it's probably going to get rejected by the panel. So in the meantime I'd like to get some more feedback on it so that I can improve it. Thanks.

http://bfratto.googlepages.com/ForestoftheDamned.mp3

Sample quality will get you rejected fast I bet. But I just don't like how the theme is handled here. To me, this is one of the top five most beautiful themes to come from a video game. And this dark, dissonant version just isn't appealing.

That's how you wanted to arrange it so I don't know what to tell you. I would just prefer something more upbeat. Also, I bet people will say this sticks too close to the original form of the song.

Keep on truckin'.

I'm with Mustin here. It's an interesting approach, but this doesn't stray far from the source in terms of arrangement. And that wouldn't be quite so bad, but the dissonant, eerie thing you're trying just strains the ears. It sounds like you're trying for an orchestral genre, so I'd recommend browsing some of Russell Cox's remixes here, especially since he's done the eerie, dissonant style before. It might give you some ideas.

It won't even make it to the panel. I know, because I just sent you the letter saying it won't. It sounds like a MIDI or SPC rip with different sounds and a different balance among the parts. If that isn't literally the case, it might as well be given that the structure is essentially verbatim. If this were more interpretive, it would have at least made the panel to get some additional feedback.

It's a midi rip in the sense that I no longer have access to a keyboard, so I notate everything through Noteworthy Composer and then import to Reason. It's not just a instrumentation change of the soundtrack source, though.

However, I did get that e-mail and I think I understand what you mean. The only real changes are an elongated introduction, the dissonant strings, and the brass choir in the beginning and end. That and these samples aren't worth a damn.

Thanks for the criticism. Looks like I've got a lot of work to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I've completely redone the ending, making it longer and "more epic" as I've been told would help (thanks to the Mario 64 ReMix guys). I'm also in the search for some better brass samples. I've been offered the use of some Miroslav Philharmonik samples from a friend of mine. We'll see how those work, out as I hear they're fucking awesome samples. Thanks for the advice.

Okay, here's the second go at it.

-The bass trombone part has been revamped and brought out a little.

-I've dropped the harmon mute for now and just had straight trumpet. I kinda miss the harmon sound though.

-The ending has been completely redone.

-I tried some Miroslav samples for the brass. They're certainly better than Orkester, but still not quite what I want.

-I tried to fix some balance issues.

-New reverb.

I plan on making more percussion in the ending, but Reason kills my damn CPU. Thanks for the previous advice, let's see how I used it.

Edit: Percussion added.

http://bfratto.googlepages.com/fotd.mp3

• 3 weeks later...

Probably the last version of this before I submit. Try and get a few more criticisms.

-Saxes completely removed, replaced by tuba, horn, other woodwinds

-Woodwinds added more into the background

-Made bass trombone less abrasive

-I don't remember if there's added percussion in the last one but it's here now

-Better horn sample, hopefully

-VBR was too high, adjusted to straight 192

-Other crap

http://bfratto.googlepages.com/fotd4.mp3