Dr. Mario's On Drugs (Eminem v. Virt)

neminem

So... I don't know whether this was obvious to everyone, but Doctor Mario is kind of a huge drug reference. For that reason, I'd been meaning to get around to mixing Eminem's Purple Pills (being all about various colors of pills), with the Doctor Mario music (being all about various colors of pills). But... the original isn't that exciting to make loops of, and the Smashing, Live! version would be rather difficult to work with. So it wasn't until recently that I remembered virt had a super-funky arrangement that would play rather nicely with the vocals, and today, while I should have been doing homework... well, it came together rather quickly. Obviously, this is a joke piece, but joke pieces should still sound good, so hopefully this does.

http://www3.hmc.edu/~afield/music/neminem_-_Doctor_Mario_Is_On_Drugs.mp3

Ok, so... what "finish"? Granted, this is wip, so I suppose comments like that make sense. But it's also the only place here you go to post silliness of this sort, so I will ask: are there any specific things people think aren't finished? Cause I didn't find any (I tend not to post stuff until after I've beta'd the hell out of it, myself).

Thanks for the compliments, though, everyone who's given them. And especially zircon, given that zircon is awesome.

Great idea - not one that had ever occurred to me, but the tracks seem almost made for eachother (which I suppose is the ultimate aim for an A+B). The chiptune sections work best - I love the way the backing changes when Eminem hands over to... that other guy (I'm hardly a D12 aficionado) at 0:50. (There's a similarly great moment at 2:37). The "uh-huh"s fit perfectly at 1:10-1:15. Virt's arrangement is perhaps just a bit too busy to fit comfortably under the vocals - the soloing kinda gets in the way - but it's a minor complaint, and I think it's a terrific idea to use both a rearrangement and the chip - it adds a lot of variety.

"Bitch!" coinciding with the crash at 2:55 is just perfect. Did you spend hours moving things around to find moments like that, or was it all fluke? Either way, it's brilliant. Already one of my favourite VG-mashups (not that it's a huge genre, of course). Keep 'em coming!

[cross-posted at GYBO, just because]

This is fun and awesome. The key of the chorus fits perfectly with the key of the Dr. Mario song. Virt's arrangement also blends in well as it enters the mix. But the "chill" theme comes a bit too loud in the parts with percussion. Have you thought about submitting this to OLR? Maybe it's a smidge too good for OLR, but you could become its unofficial mashup remixer.

I've worked on an Eminem/FFX mashup a while ago, but put it off. The song was "I don't Give a Fuck", and the FFX music was actually a rejected OCR submission, but I kept it because it sounded nice.