OCR00646 - Mega Man 4 "Cossack Hot Steppin'"

orkybash

Mega Man 4 'Cossack Hot Steppin'

Not my favorite from Pollard, but it's an enjoyable mix nonetheless. The lead synth is surprisingly good - it's amazing what a little well-applied tremolo can do to a sound. The arrangement is a tad underdeveloped, but that's about the only bad thing I can say about this. So though I wouldn't call this mix an absolutely-must-download-or-else-you-will-die-by-way-of-rabid-fish-bites, but it's still an enjoyable listen.

• 5 months later...

I think this is mp's #1 track - chronologically, that is. In terms of quality, I wouldn't put it on top, but it's close. It has stereotypical (but well done) drums, a great main synth, a distant-sounding piano, and some very evident compositional skills - wonderful use of solos and barely audible chords. It actually ends pretty quickly, though, and the fade-out ending is a little disappointing. Cool.

• 6 months later...

I am beyond being unimpressed. Well beyond, in fact. This isn't anything special, whatsoever. Much like Prince Vejita's "Vejita Cutman OC ReMix," this is basically just the original FamiCom track with some synthetics thrown in for fun. Seriously, if I didn't know this track was submitted back in 2001, I'd say Matt Pollard sucks as a remixer. Thankfully, his later works far redeem this grevious error he made. First entries often can be rocky.

i said this before:

"if you had done your research, you would have found that not a byte of this arrangement is from the original famicom track."

this was quite rude! my apologies. it is the case, though; i used a 2a03 soundfont and transcribed the original track. no sampling involved.

• 5 months later...

This is one of the best songs from Mega Man 4, and definitely one of the most fun songs from the NES. I loved it when I first heard it, and whenever I go back and play it again, I get all excited. (I know, I'm a sucker for the classics).

I thought this was a good remix, but I was so anxiously waiting for this song to really take off. It really felt like it was leading up to it, and it desperately needed to just kick up a few notches and really get the beat going. Instead, it faded out, and that was that. Like I said, it was really good. But it needed something more.

Maybe someone could remix this song again and give it the powerhouse version it really needs.

Don't get me wrong, I'd recommend this song.

• 3 months later...

This song hasn't been remixed for many times. If you don't know about the psx remix from this song I think it's the only remix from this very good song. This remix has made 'Kijee's top 10'. I has placed this song on the fifth place (from 200 songs) because it's a little short, but the remix is perfect. I hope I will locate a different Cossack Part 2 remix soon.

• 1 year later...

I remember this track, MM4's castle actually did have some neat music.

if you had done your research, you would have found that not a byte of this arrangement is from the original famicom track.

Really? That synth that takes the lead right away sounds suspiciously like the original, but also sounds enhanced in some ways. Even if many appreciates that you take a track and gives it a different set of instruments, it's also nice to have some parts of the instruments left. Not saying that it's the same synth, but it sounds just like it, and it fits quite well too.

Nothing to complain much on the beats and other equipments, the beginning went smooth as you began with heavy beats and rolled out the red carpet for the synth and the beautiful piano. Nice done mp.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I wouldn't really say this mix is hot steppin', more like a cool summer night.

It is pretty nice, I think this work well in the upcoming Mega Man movie.

Of course, there isn't an upcoming movie, but whatever. It has a feel of driving on the outskirts of a huge metropolis at night, and the background synths and the minimalist beat really lend a feel to the 199x vibe.

I'm not totally sold on the lead synth; I think in this case something a little more sophisticated would have probably fit the bill. The current sound is just a little bit dated. I like the lofi arpeggios however, and the rest of the sounds are well chosen and fit together nicely. The synth panning at the beginning and during the brief piano breakdown is really cool, it just washes over everything.

Overall a pretty good mix, it's definitely aged well I would say.

• 3 months later...

After not hearing this song for a couple of years, I just had to sit down and play the game. I love the bass drum, which get's my whole room shaking and the melody itself it's just another Capcom masterpiece, that MP kind of made to his own here. One of the best slower techno song on the site. Lovely!

• 1 year later...

Sort of like Doom meets Mega Man, a combination that works surprisingly well.

While I think this mix is a great listen and an improvement over the original, it really sounds more like game music than a remix of game music. And not because of instrumentation. The tempo, the repetition and the lack of development really give it an 'awesome background music to a sidescrolling game' feel. Which I guess is unsurprising.

But that's not to say that's a terrible thing. Not all mixes should be obligated to redefine a certain tune or expand on all the potential that reinterpretation allows. Simply put, if noone here likes listening to game music, then just what are you doing here? There is still a ton to enjoy about this mix, regardless.

• 4 years later...

I can get behind what one reviewer said about it being almost like a combination of Doom and Mega Man. A little short, but the beat is good and it does improve on the source a bit. Even with it's age being shown and not being exactly groundbreaking, I still like this ReMix. It's like a bite-sized little goody to enjoy every now and then.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00646 - Mega Man 4 "Cossack Hot Steppin'"