OCR00649 - Xenogears "Awakening (Latin Radio Edit)"

orkybash

Xenogears 'Awakening (Latin Radio Edit)'

OK, now, I don't want any bitrate complaints on this one! All jokes aside, though, I really enjoyed this both for it's arrangement quality and it's creative take on the original song. I would complain here about it being underdeveloped, but that's not the case as Matt Pollard found the heart to release an extended mix of this. I don't know where you can find it (maybe vgmix.com has it?) but if you can track it down, go for it. If not, this one's still good.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

An unexpected take and arrangement of the original, I like it a lot, and I'm surprised that this mix has that few reviews. It's definitely interesting to hear how the piano-ostinato suddenly makes the melody completely latin-sounding. The percussion didn't jump out at me, but it does live up to the standard latin song-standard. The brass tends to get a bit on the blatty side, but we're talking 2001 here so who cares?

Well, it's pretty much a reimagining in style with not a lot of rearrangement, but I do like the latin flair that Mr. Pollard puts into the piece. There are some things that could easily be dropped from this, most notably the somewhat annoying 'record static'. I really like the more subdued percussion element.

The horns, while weak, are serviceable enough and will most likely be everyone's biggest gripe about the piece.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know the source, so I can't comment on that, but it sounds pretty Mitsuda to me from hearing this mix.

The brass sounds are pretty good considering this was 2001, they've held up well. Percussion defiantely has that latin flair, which is nice.

The shortness of the mix is the biggest gripe, though it seems as though MP has fixed that with an extended version somewhere. This is a good one to pick up (and then get the extended version!).

• 11 months later...

Very nifty. Any time someone can take an amazing source tune, take it in a wildly different direction, and still have a excellent result is worthy of commendation. I was lukewarm on this one at first, then the keyboard/bongo breakdown came in at 1:08. When the climax hit at 1:22 I was sold; even with all the new ideas he had crammed in this mix (speaking of, the WYWH-ish radio intro/transition is clutch), mp had managed to retain a sense of the fervor and dread expressed in the source... toned down just right so it's both powerful and catchy. Well done, sir.

EDIT: I found the extended mix. Google "matt pollard awakening -edit" (or "matt pollard awakening extended latin"); yes, I did the obligatory facepalm for not thinking of "-edit" earlier. If you're curious, check it for the additional piano breakdown and the xylophone. It's not as polished though. I prefer the ocr-edited version... short and catchy = very addicting.

• 9 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00649 - Xenogears "Awakening (Latin Radio Edit)"
  • 1 year later...