ORC 100: It's a new beginning [Results]

The Orichalcon

- The Original Remixing Competition 100 -

orcstorage.jpg

Welcome to ORC100.

A little note before we start

I couldn't remember what ORC we were up to, so rather than fart around with random lower numbers, we're starting from ORC100, because the century is kewl and stuff.

Results - Text Results

First place goes to Xela with 8 points.

Second place goes to analoq with 7 points.

Source Material

This weeks song is by Rexy. I think she won the last ORC or something. It's called "A New Beginning" which is fitting because ORC is starting over, get it? Here's her write up:

I thought I'd snuggle around for something very cheerful for the ORC revival. The Ecaros Sound Collections that I often work on is still being focused on, but for now this is a short 2 minute+ piece that ended up being streamed out of some free time while waiting for video files (part of my Music Technology coursework) to render. I might incorporate this into something bigger, but for now I hope it goes down well with the audience.

Rexy - A New Beginning: MP3 - MIDI

Entries

User Formerly Known As Xela - Let Those Nightmares Go

• Description: I was greatly inspired by the solo work of Janne Warman (the keyboardist from Children of Bodom). The instruments present in my remix are: keyboards (both lead synth and pads); electric guitars; bass guitar and drums.
    In remixing Rexy's song, I wanted to go for a balance of her original source material and my own original material. Clearly, my song is in a very different style to Rexy's original. I have put a lot of thought into how far I could take Rexy's source material and how far I could go creatively before straying too far away from the source.
    I don't want to say too much, so I'll let you all judge my remix for yourselves. Also, if you've never heard Warmen before, I suggest you listen to a couple of tracks on
http://www.myspace.com/warmenband, firstly because their musical talent is incredible and secondly so you can get some idea as to where I'm coming from on this remix.

analoq - soggy britain

• Description:i'm without a midi interface, so i could only record physical instruments: guitar, bass, 80s electric piano, moog synth, and cheapass maracas + bongos.
    this is not normally how i make music, but was willing to give it a go to welcome back ORC. my contribution is light, leisurely and with a 6/8 feel. enjoy.

The Quick Rules Rundown

• 1. Anyone can enter regardless of your remixing ability.
    2. Filesize is limited to 8 meg.
    3. You may only enter one piece.
    4. When you've finished your entry, please PM the link to me (The Orichalcon) before the
deadline. Please do not post the mix in the thread.
5. Along with your submission, you're encouraged to do a short write-up or description of your entry.
6. You may submit your piece as a MIDI, MP3 or OGG file.
7. During the voting period, voters are encouraged to give a short review the pieces they vote in the top 3.

For information on voting and the competition rules, please visit this link

For information on when mixing and voting times start and end please visit this link (OMG, obsolete. Ignore this for now.)

The New Rules Better Explained

As you can see, the layout of the post is a little different. Much like TOMC, ORC will now use the first post of the thread as the main means of transaction. All the pieces will be linked here, along with the results. New rules are as follows:

• 1. You must now PM your piece to me, no exceptions. Please do not post the link in this thread at all. If you can't find a host, either email the piece to me as an attachment, or send it over IRC/MSN.
    2. Along with your submission, you're encouraged to do a writeup. This is to help the listener better understand your piece, which can help you with votes in the end.
    3. Much like TOMC, I'll be linking offsite to the results, along with which I'll paste all the votes that I've received. Voters are strongly encouraged to write a short review of why they voted the pieces in first, second and third place. I'll omit the names of the voters for privacy sake before posting them up.

Yes, i said i was in, and no i dont have an entry, but there is a reason for it sorta.

I flat out just stopped workin on stuff awhile back, worked on a couple things here and there, but that was it, and didnt get anywhere with them. I have been trying as hard as i can to get back into everything fullspeed....but im fucktarded or something cause no matter what i try to do, i just cant get anything half-decent written. Maybe I just need to find the right thing to do..who knows, i even tried a little compo with sir_nuts and nicole to try and get shit moving....i was the one without an entry.

So basicly, hopefully something will pop up that will get me thinking straight again, cause if it doesnt happen...im screwed heh

So yeah, im sure noone really cares that i had no entry, but i shouldnt have said i was in if i couldnt produce results.

uhmm...i think i have explained enough...also, if anyone has any ideas that might help me to get to where i was before, that would be great

k that is all, sorry

bye

Voting time:

User Formerly Known As Xela - Let Those Nightmares Go

• Description: I was greatly inspired by the solo work of Janne Warman (the keyboardist from Children of Bodom). The instruments present in my remix are: keyboards (both lead synth and pads); electric guitars; bass guitar and drums.
    In remixing Rexy's song, I wanted to go for a balance of her original source material and my own original material. Clearly, my song is in a very different style to Rexy's original. I have put a lot of thought into how far I could take Rexy's source material and how far I could go creatively before straying too far away from the source.
    I don't want to say too much, so I'll let you all judge my remix for yourselves. Also, if you've never heard Warmen before, I suggest you listen to a couple of tracks on
http://www.myspace.com/warmenband, firstly because their musical talent is incredible and secondly so you can get some idea as to where I'm coming from on this remix.

analoq - soggy britain

• Description:i'm without a midi interface, so i could only record physical instruments: guitar, bass, 80s electric piano, moog synth, and cheapass maracas + bongos.
    this is not normally how i make music, but was willing to give it a go to welcome back ORC. my contribution is light, leisurely and with a 6/8 feel. enjoy.

You have until Friday midnight to vote. It's only two tracks so just give me a first and second with a short write-up of your reasoning.