OCR01554 - Super Castlevania IV "Curse Curse Revolution"

djpretzel

This is quite addicitively refreshing. It's a rather stark departure from what I've grown to expect in a Castlevania remix (dark, brooding, MYSTEEEEERIOUS) and it works quite well. My mind has already started trying to compose stepcharts to it, because my mind is wont to do highly absurd things such as this, but that's as much a testament to NoppZ's work as anything else, probably because I almost never play DDR anymore, and instead try to figure out what songs would be totally bitchin' in Guitar Hero. I digress, because I have lost my original topic. When the recognizeable melody came in at 2:07, my ears cheered. It was quite the sound to hear, because they don't even have mouths. Either way, this was groovy, delicious, and beat-a-riffic. Two thumbs up, and a bag of popcorn for the remixer.

The begining was good,however, after that the mix went downhill(even the tune throughout the song was ok, but the rest wasnt anything to ride home about). personally, i dont why the judges passed it, they must have a good reason though, maybe its just me, but it didnt do anything for me. It was well made though good job anyway! -The Lone Ranger

Reminded me of initial d, I love how it keeps the castlevania theme throughout. It may not be your cup of tea but if you set out to make a song such as this you couldnt make it any better than it is, and thats what you should be looking for when you judge these things.

Fun remix! This reminds me a lot of my own Tron I/O club remix that I made a while back for Stepmania. Cheesy, catchy, infectious and upbeat. Every once in a while, I just need to let loose and get my DDR groove on, so I'm throwing this into the collective pot of solid gold that I carry around for such occasions. :)

I admire remixers that dare to take material in directions otherwise not considered by anyone else. Kudos to you.

Oh god, somehow I feel dirty... Ok, so I'm both a castlevania fan and a DDR fan. I feel like Simon is now playing "Boy Meets Girl" :P A lot of the DDR music annoys the crap out of me, but I'll be damned if this isn't spot on in just about every way. Sounds wise, nothing spectacular, very generic....just like most DDR songs. Gotta say, you really nailed this :P

It's not how good the tune is. A mix can be a midi-rip and have a great tune. What matters is how well the artist reinterperets an existing song. So even if the source tune is shit, the mix can get onto the site with clever arrangement and good production.

I have to agree. i worded it in a weird way i think,thx. -The Lone Ranger

In concept, I think it's pretty cool - and I'm not going to say it's not catchy. It is catchy! I think the way it was mastered is holding it back a lot - the frequency balance and mixing feels off to me, but more imporantly, the stereo image seems weirdly distorted. One way or another, I feel like this could really, really benefit from some more effort to nail that smartly-produced, pumping bright DDR sound - then it would truly be a fantastic track (I find the ending, for example, especially ingenious).

Obviously it was good enough to be posted to OCR as it was (since, of course, it was), but I'd still love to hear an upgraded version sometime - maybe on VGMix3? Even just a version that turned down the resonance on the filter-sweep at ~0:40 would make this mix quite a bit more listenable.

I cannot express the pure joy this song's existence gives me. I've just recently played this game for the first time, thanks to the Wii Virtual Console, and have been digging the music. But I'm a long-time DDR fan. All this to say, this is what I'd consider a perfect aural chocolate-and-peanut-butter combination.

I think the way it was mastered is holding it back a lot - the frequency balance and mixing feels off to me, but more imporantly, the stereo image seems weirdly distorted. One way or another, I feel like this could really, really benefit from some more effort to nail that smartly-produced, pumping bright DDR sound - then it would truly be a fantastic track (I find the ending, for example, especially ingenious).

Agreed, and I love the track despite this. I'm just pretending it's coming through my crappy TV speakers. But yeah, something seems a little strange. There's a grating telephonic quality to it which maybe comes from oversaturation/muddiness in the mids?

I'd also love to hear a remaster if possible!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01554 - Super Castlevania IV "Curse Curse Revolution"