OCR00656 - Final Fantasy IX "Safety in Numbers"

orkybash

Final Fantasy IX 'Safety in Numbers'

Well, it's not fair if I review my own remix, right? Right. But anyway, I originally didn't want to submit this because I wasn't that satisfied with it, though it did end up on RPGamer. But apparently, someone thought it was good enough to submit it here for me, so when djp PMed me asking about it, I took it as a vote of confidence and "seconded" the submission. I also asked that he rename it, since the original name, "Not Alone," was too derivative of the original track title. No, I don't know what "Safety in Numbers" means either, but I'm sure Pretzel had his reasons for naming it thus.

• 2 weeks later...

well personally i think this mix kicks ass, i made another thread to it but i don't think anyone posted in it so i'll post here :D well i love this remix i think that is got a great beat and it just plain rules, if you plan on doing more ff9 remixes do the "place i'll return to someday" or something like that, well i love this remix and hope i hear more great mixes like this from you, i even played this mix for a couple of my friends and they loved it too, and they don't even know this site exists so i told them where to go, the only thing we need back to find it easiee is to get djp to bring back the scroll down menues that were so helpfull to keep people udated to what was new by what was posted on each day and/or in alphabetical order oh well maybe in time :)

well anyway back to the subject, again great mix i love it, want more :D

conker

• 1 month later...

This mix kicks ass. :D

It's as simple as that.

I loved this tune from the game, and I love it even more now.

The title is a pretty nice touch too.

I believe DJP thought it up.

I don't know. But I still like it.

Safety in Numbers is a title that really suits this peice.

I also really like the piano in this mix.

I love piano, although I can't play it worth crap. :)

uh... whoops... getting off topic. :?

Anyway, It's a really kick-ass mix.

Hope to see more of this stuff in the future.

the first 15 or so seconds i was already getting ready to check out another song then BAM that piano reminded me why I download all you guys's remixes. Awsome melody! great work here all the way thru. Now i have a 60second rule. I like the name too however I don't know why.

9/10 great stuff.

A good remix. It may be an understatement, but that's the only word that came to mind when I heard it. A dynamite interpretation of You Are Not Alone, my favorite FFIX piece. This is one of the few songs in the game that could actually make it as a remix.

At first, I was going to brand the extremely echo-y piano as a downside. But, for those of you who normally would do so, finish listening to the piece. The piano just takes some getting used to.

With a song that was done right the first time, the best thing you can possibly do for yourself is to stick to the original and this remixer does it perfectly. A few interesting instrument selections, including using the piano instead of the original Japanese string instrument, along with a little reverb, and this piece is as good as, but different from, the original.

Overall, definitely one of the best remixes on this site.

Now, this is the way a remix is supposed to be done. Take the original song, modify it without straying too far from the original tone or theme, with appropriate instruments, and a good beat. Wondeful job. Uematsu would be proud. If youre a fan of FF music, download this song or youre missin' out. Oh, and keep up the awesome work on remixing.

This is probably my favorite of Orkybash's remixes. It'd be between this and Geno's Woods, and I think I like this one more because he did more with the theme. I was amazed when I found it at Orky's site and he had said that he never submitted it because he didn't like it much. It's good to see that it's finally up at OCR. It took me a while to find it because of the name change. I think "Safety in Numbers" is clever though.

The delayed (or whatever) piano makes me wet.

Edit: I'm retarded.

At first I felt the track was mediocre at best- It was in my honest opinion that the song was lacking in something. However, the I listened to it again and changed my mind. I love the arrangement for it's sheer simplicity (as opposed to other remixes) and it really grew on me.

Cheers!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Orky, this is awesome. Seriously, this is just a great mix. I loved the original and still count it among my favorite songs, and this is would be right next to it on my list. I loved the echoed piano, and I imagine the original would have sounded something like this had the game been set in a more futuristic world. You have my congratulations on creating such a wonderful remix.

• 2 weeks later...

The original is one of the best gamemusic I know, we used to wait through the whole game just to hear it, but if this showed up instead, I wouldn´t be dissappointed. Orkydude has kept the funky tempo and melody, but made some changes to turn it into a great techno remix.

Thanks Orky.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Pretty straightforward dancey stuff, I am guessing this source was a lot fresher when this first came out than now; it's one of those tracks that has been completely pummeled into my brain along with Ice Cap and Zeal.

Synths a re a little lofi sounding, and there's some mud, but there are some decent breakdowns.

I don't think this arrangement would pass nowadays, as it's pretty dated, and i've heard enough of the source for the rest of my life, but it's decently done, and i'm sure it has plenty of fans. :-)

• 11 months later...

Sounds a lot better in my opinion. There's something about the other sound tracks similiar to this being amis. This one's sounds more energetic vs the others sounding deep, mystic, or something that triggers off being uncomfort for some reason. Though that's me, heh.

Great sound track, A must listen!

• 4 months later...

I really love the direction this piece takes; like the person above me stated, most of the other pieces based on the source tune tend to take a more mysterious or sombre tone, but this one seems more in line with how I always envisioned the mood of the peace: intense and almost energetic in a way. Great job.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00656 - Final Fantasy IX "Safety in Numbers"
  • 7 months later...

This one's pretty dated, in that the mixing was cluttered and the ideas eventually became repetitive over the 4 1/2 minutes. That said, I loved how Tim essentially channeled Secret of Mana's sound palette with the piano lead and string pads. The dance groove alongside that was a shaky fit for me, but it certainly got the job done back in the day and expanded upon the theme with a more upbeat approach.