DDR Song Contest (update)

zircon

Hey guys, for those of you who don't know, Broadjam (www.broadjam.com) is running a song contest where you enter tracks for consideration to be used in the next Dance Dance Revolution game. They have to be original, and you have to be some kind of member of Broadjam to submit (there is a free membership). There's also a submission fee per song... for my membership level (NOT free) it was $10/track. I don't know what the other levels are. The prize includes $1000 and inclusion in the next DDR game.

Anyway, the entry period is well under way - the deadline is February 28th. There is a peer review that any Broadjam member can participate in, though presumably Konami will also be evaluating things. This review ends on March 7th, and the contest itself is over on April 18th, when the winner(s) will be announced. Link:

http://www.broadjam.com/submissions/details/index.asp?contest_id=147

So, even though a thread about this was posted before, I just wanted to remind everyone. Got a cool track that you think might fit in DDR? Submit it! It's only $10, and if you're good, it's a shot at winning $1,000, plus some fame. Even if you're NOT going to submit, I strongly encourage everyone to participate in the peer review. Several OCR members, myself included, are already involved (either submitting songs, peer reviewing, or both).

ps. Don't think this is an attempt to curry more votes for my songs. The subs are anonymous, aside from song title, and the ones I submitted aren't publicly released. ;)

Am I the only one who smells a bit of scam in that? Seriously, there must be some law against holding a contest, especially one with an entrance fee, where you can choose to not nominate anyone as a winner. That sort of thing works for lotteries because it's a random occurance; This, on the other hand, is a completely subjective competition. The judge panel they use could simply declare that nobody wins and the website pockets the cash.

I know it's probably not going to happen, but I certainly wouldn't send my money to a company knowing that there's a risk that nobody will win.

A few things.

1. Broadjam is not a scam, factually speaking. They are an established and credible business.

2. Broadjam is not running the contest, they are facilitating it on behalf of Konami.

3. The music industry is an industry of "no guarantees". For example, I am a member of an organization called TAXI. I pay $300 a year simply to see *opportunities* for submitting my music - to labels, TV shows, music libraries (etc) that want it. To actually submit I pay $5 per song, per listing. And there are absolutely no guarantees. I know people who have been members for years, who have not seen a single deal.

Is TAXI a ripoff? No. Could another company do something similar and just pocket your money? Yes, so you SHOULD always be careful. However, it really is not uncommon in the biz to pay money just for the *chance* at success. It's a crapshoot. Konami would be shooting themselves in the foot if they had to select a winner. What if all the entries sucked? Their good name would be tarnished.

Yep, I've got one that I'll be submitting this week sometime.

Zircon, do you happen to know how the winners will be chosen? Since I am submitting my track so "late," am I at a distinct disadvantage because I miss out on several weeks of possible votes? Or is that just a way to whittle the number of tracks down to make the final decision easier?

EDIT: BTW with the free membership at broadjam, it's 20 bucks per entry.

They want things above 120 bpm....I haven't made much 'dancey' stuff that is that fast for a while :(. I entered a couple tracks last year and didn't win. I don't know if I feel like quickly making a "DDR" style track (which is a style I am generally not interested in anymore) really quickly.

Am I the only one who smells a bit of scam in that? Seriously, there must be some law against holding a contest, especially one with an entrance fee, where you can choose to not nominate anyone as a winner. That sort of thing works for lotteries because it's a random occurance; This, on the other hand, is a completely subjective competition. The judge panel they use could simply declare that nobody wins and the website pockets the cash.

I know it's probably not going to happen, but I certainly wouldn't send my money to a company knowing that there's a risk that nobody will win.

DJ Amuro, who I talk to, won last year and his track is in Ultramix 2 or something.