Soundtracks to games you've never played

dkm

• Earthbound
  • Chrono Cross (I own it, but my discs are messed up so I can't play it)
  • Final Fantasy X-2
  • Xenogears
  • Xenosaga
  • Originally Jet Set Radio Future, but I've recently played it now
  • Devil May Cry 2
  • Most DDRs
  • San Andreas
  • We Love Katamari
  • Lineage II
  • Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
  • The Elder Scroll VI: Oblivion
  • Every Silent Hill game
  • Space Channel 5 Part II

Games I've never played, and have little interest in playing.

Games I've never play, but I'd MAYBE play one day.

Games I would LOVE to play and probably will eventually.

You don't want to play EarthBound? Why Rama, why?

Ugh, DMC2? The soundtrack sucked more than the game. Get DMC1 soundtrack. Some of the best stuff I've ever heard.

And Oblivion? The game: unforgettable. The music: eh, its nice filler.

Obviously. But if I don't know or care what I'm missing, it's no problem :) The whole point of why I'm remixing in the first place is out of nostalgia, so why pay homage to something I've never experienced? Hell, why even listen to the music designed around that experience?

For me, there is a nostalgia in chiptune and older vgm music formats, regardless if the tune or game its from are familiar to me. I've picked music from games I've never played for my band to cover... they're only a minority, but the homage still feels worth it. More are on the way too. :)

But the original question was if you've bought soundtracks to games you've never played before. Can't say I have. If I like a more modern soundtrack, it is probably because I played the game. And there's a good chance that if I played the game, I own it (I don't go out and game with friends enough). In which case, I'd just play the game to hear the music... or do like I did when I was a little kid and record the audio I REALLY like from the game (nevermind ripping the data or anything fancy like that).