OCR00655 - Alex Kidd in Miracle World "No One Can Do It Better"

orkybash

Alex Kidd in Miracle World 'No One Can Do It Better'

You sure the title here isn't your elitist side trying to express it's self, djp? j/k, of course. This is actually some different stuff from Pretzel in that I haven't heard him cover a track in quite this style yet... then again, I don't think even I have listened to all 50+ of his mixes, so I might be missing something. :D. This is much smoother and happier than his usual technofunk style and, while it's definitely a breath of fresh air, I'm not sure I like it as much. It's a high quality track, though, and that IS just me. So I'd give it a listen and decide for yourself whether or not it's your thing.

• 1 month later...

Smooth, for sure, funky, no doubt, enjoyable, of course. In more ways than one I like this track a lot more than a lot of DJP's tracks, (which, in more ways than one, are way different than this.) It is best described in the review as

love-it or hate-it
type-song. Me: I love it.

Even if you don't like it, there is no reason why you shouldn't appreciate it. :D

• 6 months later...

Wow. I'm SOOOO sad this song doesn't have more ReViews.

And I'm mad at myself for not ReViewing it sooner.

Maybe it's because I was afraid to. I don't know.

This mix holds such a near and dear place in my heart. I love this mix. This is the first song I think of when I think of classic gaming. Alex Kidd was my FIRST video game hero.

In a (video game) world that's dominated by a fat, italian, character-less stereotype, I had the Kidd. In one of the most memorable, most enjoyable games I've ever played.

I happened to have stumble into OverClocked ReMix. Back then, I simply didn't realize the size, history and community dedication behind video game remixing.

All I knew was that I wasn't the only one who loved Alex Kidd as much as I did.

I stared at the screen for minutes before I dared to choose one of the Kidd mixes. I decided to try this one first.

The joy this mix brings me is indescribable. Sure, there are technically better that have come before and after, but this mix will always remind me of two firsts: The first time I ever held a controller in my hand and was transported to a wonderful new world of adventure and the first time I ever felt true joy and kinship listening to a song.

Heh heh. I remember I e-mailed djp thanking him for creating this site. And I think I thanked him for this mix.

Enjoyable, mellow, funky, chill, groovy. These are all words that can be used to describe this mix. The scratching samples are subtle and killer and the "Wah" cheer is so fun, I can't help sing along with it.

Great original music from a great game, this mix had the potential to be too repetative. And while some of the friends I've played this too brought that up, I enjoy the length, and the feel that goes with it. I feel there's just enough variation in the song to keep it going and keep it enjoyable throughout.

NOTHING is better than listening to this mix while sipping your morning hot cocoa (I don't drink coffee :lol:) and watching the sun rise. Well... maybe blasting it on your Diskman during a bright sunny day and enjoying the wind in your face, the sun in your eyes and the Earth beneth your feet.

I know most of you Nintendo kids will skip this one. Doesn't seem like many of you have heard of the Kidd, let alone played the game. And judging by the amount of ReViews this mix got, I know I'm right. And it's a real shame. This is a really excellent tune.

Bottom line, every artist strives to touch people with their work. At least one. To grab them and hold on... and when you let go, they come back for more.

Thanks djpretzel.

• 2 months later...

I just got Alex Kidd on Ebay the other day. I can't help but agree on the underwater theme as being the perfect song to remix. The other night I had company over and was showing them the Kidd and I was singing along (or humming I guess since there are no vocals) to the underwater theme. I'm still playing it every night. I finally made it past the castle, but it gets hairy from there. I need to use more items I guess. It's annoying having to go to the system to hit the pause button. Couch laziness I guess. I digress. I remember all the joy I got out of this game as a kid. Out of so many hundreds of games I've played this one has always stuck in my memory. So when I started retro-gaming recently I picked this one up straight away on Ebay. The song is perfect. The reason is the song itself is what is catchy, the original song I mean. It would take away from the song itself if it were changed too much. This is perfection. I LOVE IT!!!

• 2 months later...

My appreciation for Alex Kidd is extremely high especually through this game, Alex Kidd in Miracle World. I have done some arrangements through MIDI (NoteWorthy Composer) such as the main level theme and the castle theme but I never finished them. I know that I must get to the castle theme again (scary!) because I am so good at dark and fast paced music (I'm not thinking of doing classical with it, foo'! although...). The music is Alex Kidd in Miracle World is perfect for arrangements and DJ Pretzel has done a good job.

I can say that some of the things that I have heard (not many) through DJ Pretzel allowed me to quickly turn the other way (downloaded through KaZaA) but through just this "remix" I have to commend him because it is just very kick-toosh. I agree with endblink that it would so fun to listen to it on a sunny day with the wind blowing in one's face but also in a convertable bumping the music. If I would bump any music in a car then THIS would be it because I have always been a big fan of classic video game music (Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3, yo!). Thanks for such a great arrangement and a great site Mr. Pretzel... and make mine with EXTRA salt and butter!

`seraph / segamon <--that's me!

http://www.tonalbliss.com/ <--listen to MY music here!

http://www.abortionfacts.com/ <--find out the facts!

I know this isn't the place to request a song, but the music to Alex Kidd reminds of Fantasy Zone for the Sega Master System. That game has rockin' tunes that a remix would do total justice for. So please oh please someone consider doing Fantasy Zone.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well this is the first video game i ever bought and yep soon as you dipped into the water, the tune was just so very relaxing and was one of the coolest pieces of music i have ever heard in a game. For me this remix was always going to be good as long as it kept that original piece in there. Love the way DJ P wraps the song up too 8)

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Alex the Kidd in Miracle World was my first videogame, so this tune bowled me over with nostalgia when I first heard it. It was the only game I had for the Master System (except for a light gun game called Wanted, which I couldn't play as I had no light gun), and as I sucked at gaming back then, I never finished it. The furthest I got was the first helicopter stage.

On its own, this song is pretty damn funky, but it's the memories for me that make this one of my favourite remixes. About seven years after I got my Master System, I received a Nintendo 64 for Christmas and thus Nintendo from then on had my attention with their games, especially Rare's N64 classics, but I always look back at how my gaming life started with fondness.

• 2 months later...

I loved the mix. The other mix for Alex is not that good, it takes a while to identify the song, but this one is sweeeeet.

I used to play Alex the Kidd for hours - now I look back and it's oh such a silly game. Anyway, thanks for the song!!!

Trilliann

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm not a fan of Hip-Hop, but this is excellent! This was the game I played most on my 1st console, and apart from the motorbike music, this was my favourite :D I especially love when it gets to 1:55 and really heats up!

I also like the little "Jan-Ken-Poh!" at the end ;) (paper scissors stone)

Very very nice!

• 5 months later...

I thought I would be the only one to really like this song when I came into this review thread. But it seems there are rabid fans of the original game. Myself, I've never played it :). But I like most of it quite a bit. Very different sounding, though perhaps too different sounding during the "climax" sections. I never really liked those, as they sound like something 5-year olds would hear while riding one of those circular-moving "rides" in front of huge retail stores. Well, I don't like this song as a whole TOO much, but can really hit the spot occasionally. A keeper.

• 1 year later...

Upbeat and cheerful, I can totally relate to DJP's story of recording game music onto a tape. I specifically recorded NES and SNES music, but the end result was pretty much the same. My poor parents, being forced to listen to the same game music tapes over and over in the car :-(

Anyways, I generally dig the non-quantized feel to this, and the lofi drums are pretty hot, as well as the scratches. The vocal clips are middle of the road for me, and the sustained synth that comes in later on is a little too cheesy.

some of the soloing has a few strange note choices, like that chromatic run, but overall this is a fun mix. Nothing to completely wet my pants over, but i've been listening to it on loop for the last half and hour, and it put me in a good mood. :-)

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

This tune is so similar, this track would also count as a remix of Contact, from the Phish album Junta (if anyone were keeping track of that). The rhythm, the line? Right out of it.

The tires are the things on the car that make contact with the road...

• 11 months later...

For 2002, this is actually pretty good! I liked it! One of your better old ones IMO. This is very listenable, even today. Cool e. piano sound! I wonder if you've tried the jRhodes3 soundfont yet; that's my favorite free e. piano sample, and probably the best free one you can get in terms of round robins and tone (otherwise I just use my synthesized e. pianos, or I whip out Neo-Soul Keys).

For 2002, this is actually pretty good! I liked it! One of your better old ones IMO. This is very listenable, even today. Cool e. piano sound! I wonder if you've tried the jRhodes3 soundfont yet; that's my favorite free e. piano sample, and probably the best free one you can get in terms of round robins and tone (otherwise I just use my synthesized e. pianos, or I whip out Neo-Soul Keys).

Neo-Soul is great - I use that + AAS Lounge Lizard.

• 7 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00655 - Alex Kidd in Miracle World "No One Can Do It Better"