Sonic Adventure Project

electric concerto

With over 100 songs, I gotta wonder how auditions (especially ones with such high standards) is going to be a win. Take the following into account:

Take the FF7 project. That has 39 mixers on 34 songs, and has taken how long already (I think over a year). Thats a project based on an incredibly popular game, and being led by Zircon

The SF2 project. Had like 80 songs at first, but in the end was released with a small number of tracks, 24. Quality on the project wasnt amaingly high either. A popular game, and being led by Shael Riley.

Doom project. 23 tracks, still took a year, with TO leading on, and again popular game.

Tetris Attack project had around 20-30 tracks, with some decent name supporters. Failed after a year.

Super Dodge Ball project has some decent names, and only like 13 tracks. Its into its 3rd year around I beleive, and still unfinished, possibly canceled.

Follin project. Led by LIONTAMER himself. Undefined tracknumber/listing. Its been over a year and I think 9 tracks are confirmed complete. Thats got a high quality level.

Sonic Adventure wasnt amazingly popular. The tracklist is over 100. The project quality itself is expected to be high, as the auditions themselves are tough. As far as we the people know, theres no big names on this project yet. Its being led by someone who has no history of project organisation, and whose names doesnt strike awe in a non-forum go-er.

In my opinion, something needs to be changed here, or this project will just sink into the oblivion like alot of other projects. A small but successful project is better than an ambitious but unacheivable one.

Quite the optimist, are we? I think we're taking the whole project idea too far... The point of these projects is to band together groups of remixers for a common soundtrack or theme to learn from each other and to have fun doing it.

The auditions have only been open for 3 days... Give it more time than that. Patience and perseverance is what makes a project successful.

But you do have a point about one thing. Maybe because the tracklist is so large, I shouldn't judge so strictly...

I just want to bring out the full potential in everyone.

The point of these projects is to band together groups of remixers for a common soundtrack or theme to learn from each other and to have fun doing it.

The auditions have only been open for 3 days... Give it more time than that. Patience and perseverance is what makes a project successful.

But you do have a point about one thing. Maybe because the tracklist is so large, I shouldn't judge so strictly...

I just want to bring out the full potential in everyone.

ok i could really go into a lot of detail about why this shouldn't be happening, but at risk of sounding like a dick i'll keep it fairly brief.

first of all the quote about projects are about learning from each other, that's gotta be the most random thing...the projects are about showcasing music from a game, and turning it into something awesome...i have never seen the goal of any of the site projects be a "learning" experience.

i think you should've gained more interest from experienced remixers before going public with this as well. this is the case with all of the successful projects, Kong in Concert didn't make a public thread for over 2 months after project conception iirc...and it had ample talent interested...same for ff7.

this is also an overly ambitious project...way too many tracks. oh and btw SF2 had 25-30 tracks to begin with, not 70.

here's where i am an ass...who are you? why don't you get a coordinator who is an established name in the community to help you pull in the experienced to help build your base.

i don't have anything against you, i just don't like it when i see projects startup that have this kinda background...i love the projects and i want them to all be successful.

I agree with hemo really, no offence, but I'm not sure enough people know you to trust whats happening with it. I don't think I could do this kind of thing by myself either because not a lot of people know my stuff. Combined with your pretty restrictive and specific entry requirements and the fact you only want "electric" remixes and you're just taking away more potential remixers.

I would have been happy to join if it weren't for the genre restriction, so theres a bit of proof that it maybe wasn't in the best interest for you to do that. Projects should be varied, so theres something for everyone, otherwise a lot of people just won't like any of it, as opposed to liking a few tracks in styles they like more.

I'd hate to see a project fail, so really rethink what you're trying to do here. I'd say you should postpone this and find some up help.

this is also an overly ambitious project...way too many tracks. oh and btw SF2 had 25-30 tracks to begin with, not 70.

Actually, the tracklist Shael started out with was about 50 tracks. It was cut back because I think he came to the realization that was an unrealistic number of remixes to be done in a decent timeframe. Which is something that this project needs to look at, as well.

Well...I think it's better to see how it all pans out. If it's downright impossible to generate enough interest/talent to each and every track, the tracklist can always be cut-off to "the best of" status.

All projects start out like this, and this one is no exception. Start off with a huge-ass tracklist, see who's interested in what, see which tracks are getting the best or the most remixes, and narrow it down to those. Of course, there is the possibility of all these tracks being remixed...but that would take some incredible amount of work and preservation. See, what Electric is doing here is not restricting which tracks one could remix, which is a good thing in my book.

• 1 month later...

first of all the quote about projects are about learning from each other, that's gotta be the most random thing...the projects are about showcasing music from a game, and turning it into something awesome...i have never seen the goal of any of the site projects be a "learning" experience.

Why couldn't it be? There are several smart, talented, music-savvy people out there who just need something to really get off the ground. No one knows everything about remixing, and I think that making it a learning experience will enable remixing vets to help new people get involved. That way, everyone sees names they knows, but it's more than just the same names from project to project. And with a tracklist of even half the current size, no one will have to be turned away.

Of course, this means that electric concerto and others involved have to really think about what they hope to accomplish with this project, and what priority each accomplishment has. The answer could very well determine whether I decide to get involved.

As mentioned before, this is a very long tracklist, about 104+ songs. I've completely changed the way I want to do this project from what I had previously. I had requirements before and no longer do. I've ditched my strict judging format and judge based on potential (like if the remixer knows what the difference between a remix and an arrangement is, etc.). I've also ditched my style limits because I see potential in a lot of non-electronica remixers, not to mention that it's part of OCR's mission to have variety.

I now welcome remixers of all styles and levels of quality to take advantage of this opportunity to hone their skills and advance through personal guidance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...