OCR00654 - Super Metroid "Dimstar"

orkybash

Super Metroid 'Dimstar'

High quality Brinstar mix from Beatdrop. Lot's of wacky effects (no, I don't mean DSP by that, though that too is present and well-used), including a Magus-like laugh sound, make this really enjoyable to listen to and bring out the mood of the original probably better than the original did. There is one element, though, that I didn't like: ironically, the beatdrop. That one sample really killed the mix for me, not to mention made my ears almost bleed. It's still an enjoyable mix, but I think it would be a lot more so if a less intense bass drum were used.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

By Heck! Great mix, Dain!

Anywho, yeah, they must have totally different settings. The bass drum wasn't very overpowering on my Altec Lansing setup. I have a sub, and two tweeters, and it sounded great. The bass wasn't REALLY overpowering, but it could've been toned down a little bit, not much though, as it would take away from the body of this otherwise great electronica Super Metroid mix. Now, Metroid FUSION anybody? ^_^ *gets to work*

• 5 months later...
I noticed something odd about Dimstar by Beatdrop. Although it's categorized and billed as a Super Metroid remix, it is most definitely a Metal Gear remix. Just a thought. (^.^)

Nope, that's definately the Brinstar theme. Plays when you first enter that area. Fire up your copy of Super Metroid and go check.

I have to disagree with DJP and orkybash here, I don't think the beat is overpowering or reason to pack my ears with gauze.

To tell you the truth, I never thought the brinstar music was anything special, but Beatdrop makes it an exciting song. I love the violins with the heavy beat, it always makes me smile.

I can see how one might mix the two up, they're pretty close. Makes you wonder if there was some cross-pollenation between the Metroid and Metal Gear production teams. But at any rate, I double checked and I'm certain Dimstar is based on Metal Gear. Uh Oh The Beat Have Started To Move by Khalal and Nintendo Guru is a good comparison tune.

Now I triple checked and I found something very weird. There is indeed some cross-pollenation: in my download manager. It got confused and wrote in some Metal Gear song I was downloading in place of Dimstar. Out of curiosity I downloaded Dimstar again to really scrutinize the songs and the one I just got off the site is normal. My apologies.

• 1 year later...

This was the first OC Remix I ever listened to, and it has a sort of... ethereal... quality to it. The tune at the beginning seemed to herald not from the old computer speakers, but from my own mind. I spotted quite a bit of what sounds like Descent 3 influence in the general makeup of the song... This remix certainly fits the world of Brinstar, mysterious and lonely, technology present but shrouded in gloom... A great piece, worthy of recognition.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

so many great things in this song to mention them all

0:49 memorable fill right here

1:07 anyone else here that bass drop?

1:20 arhh whats happening? my heads bouncing to the beat of the song! i cant control it, its just so awesome!

i dont think anyone else notices the sweet bassline going on behind the kick here but it is sweet

1:51 has some crazy hihating if thats a word

2:22 thats one of the best sounding bass drums evar

and the rest is all great, if you're lookin for some hardcore pieces to dance to, this is one of the best out there

• 8 months later...

well... it's a damn good song! What can I say? It's really interesting to me though, for some odd reason, I can't help but feel like a little bit of Mega Man II was taken out and placed as a backbeat...

You know? That one level of Dr. Wily's castle in number two where you had to go through the rusted water and kill the fish with Quick Boomerang and not to mention the boss... But... hell, I don't know. It just seems so damn familiar to me. Sure, you can easily hear the Metroid in it, but, it really feels like there's something extra.

In any case, as I said before, damn good song. Keep it up!

• 2 years later...

The beat here starts out rather annoying, but as a lot of people have attested to, it really does make you start bouncing. There are a lot of subtle touches that make this one pretty interesting, like the bass drops, the shimmering synths, and some pads as well.

Melodically it isn't too interesting for me, but that is the source rather than any specific treatment of it. Super Metroid's music never struck me as being especially catchy, but you've made it so with that crazy kick.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00654 - Super Metroid "Dimstar"