anime/vg music live?

Synth

Not a really a flute, but a Shakuhachi... okay, it's a TYPE of flute, but still. That's most likely performed live. It's very VERY hard to fake a shakuhachi like that without pre-recorded phrases. In which case it would still be considered live.

QL RA comes close. If you have the mega $$$ to shell out, I highly recommend it.

Do you guys think the majority of Anime/vg music is live or squenced? I'd love to get my hands on the flute samples from naruto :P

Naruto is probably half and half, when Shakuhachi and male chants are used it's played live (or some . However there are many tracks, using pads or synths and they are most likely sequenced.

Other anime with lower budgets are usually sequenced.

The classic anime films like those from Ghibli Studios were played by orchestras mostly. Here is a clip of Eminence orchestra playing a tune from Princess Mononoke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdBYxiHjxwI

Certain games with higher budgets, I think Gothic 3 was done by a live orchestra. But even games like Oblivion and Morrowind were sequenced.

Every anime soundtrack from 1998 to about 2001 or 2002 [or probably even newer] uses ACID loops, in varying amounts. Some OSTs, like those for Noir, are entirely composed of premade loops [i have most of the loops Kajiura used myself]. Most ACID loops are recorded through live instruments so... there you go! Kajiura using them is kind of sad, all she really does is play the loops straight up, with no editing.

QL RA is necessary. The samples are... well, they're the ONLY samples you'll find for a lot of ethnic instruments, which is pretty sad. The only free soundfonts you'll find of anything ethnic are things in the GM standard, like Koto/Shakuhachi/Sitar/etc and they all totally suck.

There is a free Dizi and Erhu, ancient Chinese instruments, in VSTi format:

http://www.chineekong.com/free.htm

that's about it.

who the hell made those loops then?

They came with ACID circa... a few years ago. I have 12 discs full of loops that I've been slicing and processing for the past few years.

You might also hear "Heart of Asia" loops all over the place.

http://www.spectrasonics.net/libraries/asia.php

From commercials to [a lot of] Hollywood movies and especially TV shows.

It's generally easier to create music slicing like mad with samples of all kinds, simply because slicing presequenced audio material means faster arrangement of notation. (more than one note at a time! :P)

Uematsu's music is sampled using a set of sounds that make up an orchestral ensemble, or all else. (ie: Synthesizers, sound effects) though generally all round, most composers use a combination of sampling and sequencing all the same. Tekken 5's music is HIGHLY sampled, yet most of it is bent around like WTF.

Anime music is pretty much just as broad as video game music is, other than the fact it's mostly jap-made. Aside obvious occurances of sampling material that's heard before elsewhere, they (license holders in the studio) most likely have the rights to it anyway because of the purchase of "royalty-free" sounds/content. Also, it is common for those to pre-record phrases themselves and sample from that rather than take an existing thing.

What I do find annoying though is the sampling of entire/significant parts of a well known song, and putting it together, looping more like, with some kind of bullshit added on top. (eg: Nelly - N DEY SAY ~DURR~)

soc: noob umetsu + sc88 = Final Fantasy X battol theem is evidence to that. lol.