OCR00668 - Longest Journey "Beginnings"

orkybash

I loved this game, and I love the sound of cellos. Although I can't quite figure out which piece of music this song is arranging. I listen to the Longest Journey soundtrack all the time, and this melody just doesn't ring a bell. The piano is kind of similar to "Main Titles", but otherwise I can't figure out where in the game this piece was taken from...

Its a very moody piece with a beautiful use of piano, chello, pads, and choir ahhhs. I really liked this song as it contrasted most of the music on the website and in my collection. I never played the game but i can imagine it from the music and the screenshot...i might check it out sometime. The Kreme gives it a 8/10

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

And Tappy, the song is an arrangement of a piano theme that's pretty prevalent throughout the soundtrack. The songs in which it's most easily heard are "Prologue" and "The House of All Worlds".

For anyone that doesn't know, The Longest Journey's entire soundtrack is freely available online from this page:

http://www.longestjourney.com/stark/music.html

• 10 months later...

Doesn't it strike anyone else how similar the piano notes are to the moody track in Dungeon Master II? They are practicaly identical.

Great job, deim0s. A sweet, atomospheric track that will go on loop in Winamp.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

A very beautiful, moody piece for a very beautiful game. Around 1'40 is where the true beauty settles in for me, as the song slows and revolves around the vocals like a wondrous carousel of ear candy, before setting sail again in the sea of strings. Only truly beautiful songs make me ramble on incoherently. :wink:

• 8 months later...

I first listened to this mix a long time ago, when I was looking for things related to Longest Journey (it's one of those games that does that to you). This remix (the 5th one to be reviewed on my "Review All" list) had a place in what I still consider the best CD I ever compiled of OC Remixes.

It is a haunting melody, taken from the main theme of the game, that is exentuated by what is either talent with the strings, or good synthesizing (I'm guessing the later). A mysterious piece through and through, it even ends on a note which speaks of things incomplete, left to come.

The only complaint is that the background chords never get more complicated or creative than when they first begin, making this a fairly linear piece. For that reason, it gets 4/5.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm liking this. I'd love to hear it updated with some better sounds overall, it has potential of being very pretty.

I would have loved a bit more dynamic variation in the beginning, especially if it could have created a better blend between the instruments. Right now it feels like things are working on their own rather than (duh) together. Strings feel a little harsh, and the low piano line gets a bit repetative. Overall if those things were updated I would be quite happy with this, but as is it's a nice track that I enjoy.

• 1 month later...

I used to listen to this quite a bit back in the day, but unfortunately it just got put on the sidelines in my storage folder and forgotten. :\ What's different about this is I'm not familiar with the source tune or the source *at all*. And usually when that's the case, I don't listen to a remix. There's a lot on OCR so I generally stick to what I know. I dunno what prompted me to listen to this back in the day, but I remember liking it a lot. Listening to it now? I still like it.

Deim0s does that ambient thing here and they do it well. The strings and the piano at the beginning goes together really well and helps set up the somber, and dare I say, gloomy mood of this piece. I like the choir-y voices that come in later too. Overall it comes together very well and makes a beautiful piece.

Given the heavy mood, it's not something I feel I can listen to all the time (it's raining here now so it's really meshing with me now) but once in a while? Oh yeses. People who dig ambiance should definitely check this one out.

• 1 year later...

This thread would notable just for orkybash being a first poster - I remember his mixes, his Ultima one is still on my playlist. This game's music didn't actually stand out to me - but I do have the tracks that play in April's room when you use her music player. Here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLB6Q6PaIlY

Even years and years afterwards, The Longest Journey is game with a great storyline. Any adventure gamer who hasn't should definitely play it, and its sequel, Dreamfall.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00668 - Longest Journey "Beginnings"