OCR00671 - Tempest 2000 "Underground Mix"

Ginnsu

Tempest 2000 'Underground Mix'

Wow, we have a very excellent ominous sound here, and I love those female vocal samples. They sound very much like the ones from the theme for Dark Angel. The beat seams to have a continual stabbing to it, which I have always loved to here in music when it is done well, as it defiantly has been here. Excellent mix, vail, feed our ears.

For shame! You guys haven't played the Jaguar version? It's great!

As for the mix, the samples get a bit repetative, so does the song. I remember the music being great in this game. This was my friend Duncan's first "Hey, I like this video game music" score.

The filtered guitar sample drives me nuts. The voice samples are indeed cool. Nice ending.

This was actually kind of neat with the vocals and its hollow ambient feel, kinda like a metroid mix except a little more repetitive. I cant really say that its an evolving piece, as it just kind of plays a few chords at a time. I have not played it or have an idea of what type of game Tempest is (shutup Mustin :P) but from the music I can guess it was a puzzle game of some sort or a space flyer of some sort. This is deffinetly worth listening to, I give it a 7.5/10.

This little tune here sounds awesome... Like they took it off the WipEout soundtrack (the first one). There's a bit of Ridge Racer in there as well, and the vox samples give it a nice touch. The start reminds me of djpretzel's "morning after" mix, with the little ambient train sounds (well, it sounds like a train to me!). Sounds suspiciously like Technophonik... Whoa, I'm getting a rush of memories just by listening to this song. Awesome. :)

I'll probably be listening to this for some time yet...

I'm going to have to disagree with the masses here. It just seems repetitive to me. It's got some decent qualities, but the second half repeated that passage way to many times. And don't ask me what passage. If you've ever heard this mix you know what i'm talking about

• 1 month later...

Sorry, but i got to agree with Mustin and Ebonyks. This mix is just pretty dull compared to the ORIGINAL Jaguar version.

In fact it's an insult to put this track here as a Jaguar remix. There are far better mixes available on various dedicated Jaguar sites. (Jagu-dome)

If i compare this mix to the "original" pc version then it's not that bad.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

A pretty straightforward mix, with very very cool synths, I think this needs a little more melody for my tastes. There are some nice chromatic shifts throughout, which keeps things interesting, but overall it is a bit repetitive.

It really does feel like a wipeout track, so if you are a fan of futuristic racing music, this is totally for you.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

kind of subtle, feels like a background track that establishes mood during an action or infiltration sequence in a game. unfortunately I don't think it stands out in any particular sense. the voice bit and the synths thereafter are a nice touch, would have been nice to see those implemented througout the entire track. good job overall!

ps, 50th post ftw!

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

For a mix that's from 2002, it's got some ideas in play. The choice to transpose the track up 4 semitones, as well as cut the chord progression to half-speed, can be seen as a good early example of manipulating the source material. I even like that cool idea with the 9th chords on the synth being thrown in at 3:10; seemed to give it more of a sophisticated approach to the writing, which is always a plus.

The production sounds decently pleasant to me, though I do however have 2 qualms with it associated with its era; the additional sound effects should've been brought lower down in the mix (could be seen as too much of a distractant when put against the music), and the drums seem to be on autopilot and don't seem to go anywhere (barely any fills either aside from the occasional kick use).

Overall I quite dig this; it may get old fast, but for the era it was posted in it still sounds fine :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00671 - Tempest 2000 "Underground Mix"