MegaMan X1 - Inside The Tower of Rave [WIP]

DJ MacG

I had lost my PC for a while, so my old thread died, but I'm alive, don't worry.

This is a remix of Boomerang Kuwanger's stage (It was a tower, hahaha), and I tried to make it sound like a Club/Rave song. So please, as always, strict feedback and criticism is what I need.

BEWARE: REPETITIVENESS ENSUES!

A cheap midi version of the original, haha. http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/SNES_MMX_Boomer_Kuwanger_V1.mid

My remix. http://www.sendspace.com/file/762e9r

I had lost my PC for a while, so my old thread died, but I'm alive, don't worry.

This is a remix of Boomerang Kuwanger's stage (It was a tower, hahaha, what an amazing name, right? [/sarcasm]), and I tried to make it sound like a Club/Rave song, but I probably failed badly, hahaha. So please, as always, strict feedback and criticism is what I need.

BEWARE: REPETITIVENESS ENSUES!

First off, the crowd effect is your enemy. I'd drop it completely, at least for now. Second, the synth you're using for a bass doesn't change. At 2:01 when some variation comes in, the bass just goes up an octave. Switch it up a bit, you know? Also, the bass synth needs more bass and less treble (at least on these speakers). The buzzing took away from the rest of the song. Third, I like the way it drops out at 1:18 (except for the crowd sound), but when it resumes it's the same basic thing as when it left. It'd be awesome if it drops out and then some crazy new section kicks in where the bass is dynamic with the drums working around it. When I listened to the midi file, I was surprised that you only utilized part of the source tune. You could work in a lot more of the source's chord progressions and it'd be better for it.

Don't get so caught up in the theme or the genre that you abandon creativity; take some liberties and this thing could shine.

...And don't take shots at your own stuff. It's irritating and has "defense mechanism" written all over it.

You should add some variety to the percussion. Not just the "untz untz" but I also hear the "untz PAHH untz PAHH" beat that's standard with this trance music. Make the percussion sounds more interesting, too. I do like the bass drum, though. The crowd breakdown feels like a quick excuse to pass some time. Just add a real breakdown, with different instruments and beats.

• 2 weeks later...