OCR01557 - Final Fantasy VII "Speed Limit"

djpretzel

I was a big fan of the original sub and have been listening to it for some time, but after giving this version a fresh listen I really noticed this version has a certain level of polish in the soundscape that wasn't present in the original version. Mad kudos directed towards sephfire for taking a rather repetitious source and breathing 5:38 of life into it with loads of variation to boot. The build-ups; and the relationship between the melodies/harmonies and the rythms are really what making this song good. There is also plenty of ridiculous variation within the forefront and in behind everything else that deserves multiple listens to get the most out of. All in all a damn good song.

Hmm, interesting...while this has some aggressive beats and cool gating-based syncopation going on, it doesn't have a groove per se, and is too spastic to groove to anyway. The source has also been heavily reworked, so much so that I didn't recognize it except for brief phrases.

This is certainly something different for OCR, and quite enjoyable as a soundscape - it sounds like something for an action/chase scene in a sci-fi film with tons of POV cuts. The film soundtrack quality persists in the way that there is no clear-cut climax or breakdown, but lots of moderate rises and falls in the relentless tension of the piece. My only real criticism is that, since it's obviously meant to be a soundscape, there should be more clarity in the mix - there's so much distortion and saturation going on at points that the mix becomes a wash of noise, which works as an occasional effect, but shouldn't constantly blur the underlying textures of the piece. Then again, maybe this was a stylistic choice on sephfire's part - maybe it's meant to be a gurgling, droning post-apocalyptic soundscape, with bursts of chiseled melody periodically breaking through the noise. Or something.

All in all, good, unorthodox stuff.

It's better quality than the original, but I'm sad that it lost the little electronic "popcorn clocks" in the background. For me, those epitomize the motorcycle game, and the song isn't the same without them.

Why'd you decide to take those out.

This is truly a brilliant arrangment because it took an original track that is quite repetitive and just makes a guy want to listen on.

I will compliment you by saying it almost has a Black Wind Rising feel to it at times. (an arrangment so good it makes your heart skip at times) The intro reminded me of one of the scores from the motion picture soundtrack of Broken Arrow. (music by Hans Zimmer)

My only complaint is the always-there rasp in the background. I think there was parts of the song where it added to the theme and yet at other parts I wished it would go away so I could hear the main track more vividly. Less would have been more concerning that in my opinion.

All in all, excellent track. Keep'em coming mate.

I did indeed find this a little bit repetitave. The background sound is supposed to help bring out the melody in most cases and this one seemed to me to be a little more focused on the background. I think I can see where you are going though, because it is a wonderful background nonetheless, so you wanted to bring it out. I love your work sephfire, but this one just isn't quite awesome. 8.2 out of 10 for me.

Another quality remix by sephfire. Although it's five and a half minutes, it seems to be too short and makes me listen to it over and over again, and that should tell you how good it is. It simply keeps the listener's interest for the whole time, which is something rather rare for a song that's basically soundscape. The drums, the speed, everything about this song makes it awesome.

Again, good work.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Killer stuff, some of the samples seem a little weak, mainly the strings, but otherwise this is top shelf stuff. Lots of excellent percussion that sounds huge, gated synths everywhere, and excellent transitions. Really all you could ever want in a good FF7 mix, and there is even more with a lot of string stabs and some synth counterpoint stuff.

Not as crazy or crisp as Intense Color, but in the same catagory, and definitely something that's going to be heavily played by me.

• 8 months later...

Ahh, I envy sephfire's synth skills. Things filter and modulate at the start to really intertwine several parts. I would've liked to hear live electric guitar filling out the low end here, rather than the sample/synth one (which doesn't appear much, it doesn't sound like). Anyway, great glitching, gating, and other synthy nonsense to keep things interesting. 2:03 finally brings in some full-force stuff, ending listener suspense. Things can get pretty busy in sections, but this is overall good stuff from sephire.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01557 - Final Fantasy VII "Speed Limit"