OCR music postmodern?

While many songs on ocr could certainly be explictly considered postmodern (such as a majority of the works of mazedude, shnabubla, and israfel), I'm suggesting that each song submitted to ocr is implicitly postmodern as well. Modernism was about order, disregard for artistic tradition, and original expression. Postmodernism is more open to eclectic use of various borrowed forms of the past to complete an artistic expression. These borrowed elements -the video game elements of any arrangement- are generally not the original intent of the composer, but are given new meaning by the arranger. The notion that this is acceptable is predominantly a postmodern idea.

This is very analogous to the decisions made by some trip hop artists such as Portishead and DJ Shadow, who take different elements of jazz or whatever else works and give it a unique expression. Any academic you dig up would probably label them as postmodern.

Thoughts?

I don't think it's fair to generalize something as diverse as OCR.

But if I had to, I definitely would not say that i's postmodern. If I had to use that terminology, I would say neoclassical.

Even so, I think that OCR covers so many genres that any general classification will be at least a little inaccurate.

I don't think it's fair to generalize something as diverse as OCR.

But if I had to, I definitely would not say that i's postmodern. If I had to use that terminology, I would say neoclassical.

Even so, I think that OCR covers so many genres that any general classification will be at least a little inaccurate.

I'm not talking about the genre. I'm talking about something more fundamental relating to the meaning behind the mission statement.

Some aspects of neoclassical are certainly eclectic, but it's generally a misnomer to call anything neoclassical unless there's some element of classicism there in. If you want to misconstrue what that means and start comparing classical music to classic games, whatever, but otherwise I don't that's very honest terminology.