OCR00678 - Breath of Fire "Epitaph of Alan and Cerl"

Ginnsu

Breath of Fire 'Epitaph of Alan and Cerl'

I really love the very nice work done with the pianos and a little playing tempo in this Breath of Fire mix. There is a small part, which is probably my favourite part of this mix, where the pizzicato seems to pan around in unexpected directions. The chimes seem off some how, but I think that’s due to the fact that it’s not the typical chimes that I’m used to hearing from a lot of songs done in this style. DarkCecil13 puts out a great mix here, and I hope he keeps these coming.

It.... cuts off.... suddenly, abruptly, in such a manner that I expect in regards to an MP3 that didn't get downloaded all the way. At 3:02, it just stops, mid note, mid melody. Yet the download page also agrees that 3:02 (well, the download pages says 3:03...) is the length of the track! What gives here?

I was all set to give a gloriously gushing positive review to this, since I LOVE what I've heard so far... but... it cuts off! That's just wrong!

It.... cuts off.... suddenly, abruptly, in such a manner that I expect in regards to an MP3 that didn't get downloaded all the way. At 3:02, it just stops, mid note, mid melody. Yet the download page also agrees that 3:02 (well, the download pages says 3:03...) is the length of the track! What gives here?

I was all set to give a gloriously gushing positive review to this, since I LOVE what I've heard so far... but... it cuts off! That's just wrong!

You're joking! Hmm... I just downloaded it from OCR, and it sounds just the way I submitted it. Nothing cuts off, nothing! It's a mystery.

Well then. Although I have never EVER played this game, I HAD to DL it because DC13 was makin' such a HUGE deal about it the WHOLE time he was remixin' it so I was like, whatever, alotta work went into this, so it's gotta sound good, right?

Wrong.

This song isn't good. It's not good at all. In fact "good" isn't even the WORD for it. This song is down right AMAZING. Ok, sure. There are better orchestrations. The samples aren't super high quality "WOW IT SOUNDS LIKE IT'S REAL" crazy, but the execution is flawless. First off boyus and girls. I have a little equation dealing with bad ass instruments and good songs. It is this: Pizzacato + timpani + good arranger = beautiful. But don't be fooled, the amazingness doesn't stop with the instrumentation. Personally, I enjoy the piano part more then anything throughout the entire piece, but most specifically, during the staccato part at 2:09-2:10, that 1.5 seconds of time is the most beautiful thing ever to me. It's what made this song, among other things, the one song I've lsiten to at LEAST 25 times in the last few weeks. This is grade A good stuff here boys and girls. 2 thumbs up, 4 stars, 10 slices, how ever you say put it. This is good sheeit.

sgtRama = dork

anyways...

i agree with him.

the samples arent exactly superior quality or whatever, but they work very well in this song.

the piano at the introduction is... so emotional (if ya know what i mean... not meaning to get mushy)

and there is just the right amount of reverb on everything.

or something.

and uhh, i like the pizzicato stuff. it works very well.

yes

and the tempo changes are great. yes. if i made this song it would suck so horribly that DC13 would have to shoot me in the foot or something.

(i am not making sense anymore am I)

and it doesnt cut off at all for me.

i don't know if you could do a better orchestral version of this song. this is good shtuff.

anyways.

i give it

hrm

45 out of 50 op symbols

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

have a nice day.

I wasn't wrong. I mentioned it was exactly as if the MP3 had only been partially downloaded? Well... there's a reason for that. That reason might just have turned out to be that it WAS only partially downloaded. Apparently, my internet connection died in the middle of the transfer, and instead of telling me this, it just stopped the download and pretended it was finished. A redownloading of the file fixed the problem.

So then! Now I get to review this beautiful work!

The first thing I have to do is compare it to FFmusicdj's "Breath of Fire - Sad Melody" mix, which I think I also reviewed. It might have gotten erased in the recent board mix up thing, I'm not sure I haven't checked, but basically, the consensus is that he (or she?) took a beautiful melody, and made in weird by turning it into techno. I argued that while it wasn't suitable for everyday listening, it had it's place, as it conveyed the mood of energetic lonelyness fairly well. "Sad Melody" starts out with a rather pretty piano rendition of the basic tune.

DC13's version of this song ALSO starts out with a piano playing the melody.

Except his piano rendition goes beyond pretty, into stunningly beautiful. It the entire peice was nothing but piano... this would be a gorgeous mix, and one that I would surely listen to time and time again! But somehow, and this is an amazing feat, let me tell you, it gets better from here. The beginning piano bit is possibly the most beautiful part of the peice... going beyond just the melody, and adding the kind of ornementation that the piano was BUILT for... but the rest is still... wonderful.

The timpani comes in with a nice roll, which is what God made the timpani for in the first place, and the piano is delegated to the background, where it fills in with some nice sounds that complement the music. A flute comes in with the actual melody, which sounds pretty nice. Now, I'll have to admit, I'm a floutist, and this sample doesn't actually sound as good as I can make my flute sound, but it's a sample, and one has to take these things into account.

The piano and the flute go on for a little while in this manner, with some sparklie sounds that add color here and there....

I have to agree with some of these other reviews. The Pizzacato is simply great. There isn't a LOT of it, but what there is really adds to the peice!

The only things I could really say to improve this, would be perhaps if there was slightly more echo, or lingering, with the shimmering bells (because a real one resonates a little bit after being used)... and of course, as I mentioned, a better flute sample... or even the real thing! The arrangement itself is perfect and lovely. I'd LOVE to hear more orchestral style peices like this, esspecially with more piano! I'm falling in love with the piano...

Keep up the good work!

Hmmm, yes I liked this song. I belived BoF needed a good orchestral coverage and I got it, gj. It was overall a good solid song with little expected quirks here and there, but nothing major. It might be just me, but it sounded like it wasnt recorded at the highest sound quality when I turned up my speakers. Overall great, highly recommended, a 9/10.

I still say, this is the best BoF remix. 100 times better than the Sad Melody one, mainly just because it stays true to the original, instead of straying off to some other genre that defeats the purpose of the original song. DC wins!

Yea, its good. But, BETTER THEN SAD MELODIE???

You must not like techno. I loved sad melodie. I think staying TOO close to the original isn't good. Both good remixs but..we all have our opinions and favorite styles.

It may just be my computer speakers, but all VBR songs sound unpleasant when I play 'em loud which is why I never kept 'em..until now.

I can't see any way that it could be your computers speakers. More likely the Speed or possibly your sound card.

I found a nifty program that reencodes mp3s so I converted this file to 128k/bps. Mucho improvement.

I wouldn't suggest going down to 128 kbps unless hard drive space is a significant problem, especially with this piece. I usually like to stay at 160 or above with mp3s with a static bit rate, and use an encoder such as CDex that has support for lame. But then VBR mp3s sound beautiful on my computer and I haven't had a problem with them yet.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This song starts out with the obvious tune from Breath of Fire, quickly disolving into one of those very well done orchestral pieces.

at -2:31 i found the tympanis a little too much to bear, and got me a little discomforted with the piece, but the strings sound realistic enough to give it a good feel to it, the piece itself is well mastered and completely worth its download time, though i dont suggest it to people who are into harder stuff like JAXX ^_^

on a PS note , the -1:39 string hits are beautifull, and i salute to that

• 2 months later...

Excellent remix, though a bit on the odd side. Puts me in a very weird mood. I can't decide whether to frolic through a field of daisies or jump off of a building... or a combination of the two. Odd, but beautiful. I give it a 9 on the remix-o-meter.

• 3 months later...

Wow, this brings back memories. I pretty much echo what everyone else has said. My favorite parts in this mix are the gorgeous piano intro and pizz usage. They really make the piece as far as I'm concerened. The samples on the whole, are excellent. Perfect reverb too. This is my favorite piece in the game, and you've certainly done it justice. Beautiful work!

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is just such a beautiful arraignment. I've been listening to it the past couple of days and it made me wonder if I ever gave DC13 his proper praise for it.

I've still technically left the site, but I had to do this one thing here and I'll be content.

This is a remix I should've given my support long ago, but I never got around to it. I've only given mad props to two or three other remixes, so DC13 should consider himself very fortunate to be in such a selective group. Very well done.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00678 - Breath of Fire "Epitaph of Alan and Cerl"