OCR01520 - Chrono Cross "People Seized with Trance"

djpretzel

• 1 month later...
Now its gonna be a while before someone posts another review...

Just a month. :P

Too bad about losing all those reviews; I'll try to jump start the process here. I've never played the game, and so am completely unfamiliar with the source. I like this though; it's a clean sounding mix overall and an enjoyable listen. Nice work.

• 2 months later...

It took me forever to hear the original theme besides the opening part, but the journey to finding it was certainly entertaining. Vanilla trance? This is a trance blizzard with the whole damn dairy queen thrown in. Multiple counterpoint lines, well programmed synths, and though the bass drum and snare stay pretty constant, there are a lot of other percussive elements going on.

Very engaging for trance, but doesn't sacrifice any dancability.

Well played, sir.

• 5 months later...

Wow, I can not believe that this has so few reviews. Prisoners of Fate is definitely one of my top 5 compositions by Yasunori Mitsuda. It's minimalistic, but it carries so much power and emotion. This mix provides us with an excellent interpretation of said source. It completely changes it around without losing the feel of the original, and it's anything but minimalistic. Deciding to do a mix of this song in 4/4 electronic could have gone wrong in so many ways, but thankfully, this one didn't.

First of all, the short review of this is awesome. It's going on my UT99 music list, the highest of honors for techno pieces. :P

In any case, despite DJP's commentary, I feel that it has quite a lot of things going on for a trance mix. I would have liked the end to be a complete amalgation of everything that had come before it (like 303 Infinity's "Trancending Reality") but I guess I can't have everything. Specifically, I like all of the transitions and segways in the top voices.

This mix is new enough to be mostly evaluated by the current panel as well, so I don't have any fun history comments about production etc. to make. From the writeup I can say that this is obviously a successful use of both the WIP forums and the resubmission process though -- two compeltely underused resources IMO.

Good mix -- hopefully we get some more excellent techno in soon.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I see you've lost your reviews?

Let me fix it a bit.

I remember we started doing the same track to see who would get in with hi remix. You won. :)

Very good interpretation of the theme, awesome breaks, good percussion work, good synthesis. My only quirk with your remix is the ending. But that's just personal taste i guess.

Congrats Alex, on a job well done. Maybe one of my mixes will get through someday.

Can't say this song brings back happy memories, I remember you're forced to kill your father's best friend while this song is playing.

This mix is decent, Trance is only entertaining on ex, or when I'm really drowsy.

The melody of this mix is a little hard to identify, I'm guilty of opening up the original to see how they matched, actually upon second listening the theme of the song is well mixed into a trance-like tune.

Overall, pretty cool mix. It didn't zone me out like most trance music, but it was a sweet song choice.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This is a pretty daring take IMO since the original source is so emotive due to the strings, and that element is lost with this interpretation.

I feel like some of the production could use some improvement here, as the sound doesn't really come across to me as full - having more going on at once would do this wonders I think in terms of overall feel. The base arrangement is solid though, and provides a good foundation for the song.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01520 - Chrono Cross "People Seized with Trance"