Hook up Console to Comp Screen?

HideousBeing

That looks pretty good (great price, I think). I've been looking for a video-in device, so that I can take screen-shots, videos, etc. of games. However, if this:
This won't give you any more clarity than hooking it up to your TV, though.
is true, I don't know that it's what I'm looking for. Is this the way to go (USB adapter) or should I look for an internal expansion card of some sort? Any ideas for something that can do that? Better resolution than "normal" TVs can provide? Thanks in advance for any ideas and help. Mouser X out.

they make a VGA cable for xbox 360, Offical from microsoft, they are rarer in stores now, or i hardly see them anyway. Mine was 49.99, but i think it's 39 now. It only works on the 360, a friend of mine has a generic one that works with 360 and xbox, dunno what brand it is though. I have a VGA box for the Dreamcast too, though since none of these are the systems you would like to hookup, I Guess i'm no help. You can try some Import games sites, they ususally have some neat stuff. try NCSX.com or playasia.com maybe?

That looks pretty good (great price, I think). I've been looking for a video-in device, so that I can take screen-shots, videos, etc. of games. However, if this:

is true, I don't know that it's what I'm looking for. Is this the way to go (USB adapter) or should I look for an internal expansion card of some sort? Any ideas for something that can do that? Better resolution than "normal" TVs can provide? Thanks in advance for any ideas and help. Mouser X out.

It's been my experience that VIVO cards are extremely laggy. Playing games on my video card is pretty much impossible, as there's a 2 second delay.

TV tuner PCI cards use software to render the TV in your operating system, but most consoles don't output video at the same display size as the typical PC video card, so you're pretty much stuck at whatever resolution the console outputs at. Unless you're looking to go the HD route (I'm guessing not since you're talking Nintendo systems) you're probably not going to be able to blow up the image to the resolution of your computer screen and get a quality picture. TV tuning software also has a habit of delaying the video output by about 2-3 seconds, which makes games pretty much unplayable.

However, if you went directly from the game console to your monitor (like you do going from console to TV), that would work and you wouldn't lose much in the way of image quality. The drawback is that you couldn't use your computer at the same time.

Actually, I believe there are some higher end LCD monitors out there have the right input for those yellow composite cables, or perhaps s-video, at which point you could acquire a composite to s-video adapter.

I've seen consoles hooked up to computers at USC with those kinds of screens. They looked very high end.

What, you mean one of these?

Pretty expensive, but it'll do the job.

Hmm, I own one of these. Well not exactly the same item because it is not available in germany... but one of the others you can find on Amazon.

I can only warn you... the picture and sound quality will decrease dramatically when you use these. I'm still looking for a good converter...

Actually, I believe there are some higher end LCD monitors out there have the right input for those yellow composite cables, or perhaps s-video, at which point you could acquire a composite to s-video adapter.

If your console of choice has a s-video cable (ps2 for example), use that. I don't know if those nintendo consoles have a s-video cable available though.