Mario 64 - Bowser's road

the arrangement was going well until oh no what happened at 0:52. i don't think everything should cut out like that but it's your choice

everything sounds a little treble heavy could use some deeper sounds in the guitar and the opening synths (which are kinda generic btw).

I never understood the whole "generic sounds" thing. Like, what makes a synth not generic? I tweaked, layered and FXed a bunch of sytrus presets for nearly everything in this, but it still comes off as generic? Hm. Well, whatever. And yes, I do happen to like the dropoff and subsequent buildup of sound at :52 and afterward :)

Thanks for the comments!

Your server isn't responding, Miszou. :(

I heard the shorter WIP the other day from the SM64 project thread though, and was blown away. How is it you don't have any remixes on OCR yet? Or do you release them under a different name? :P

Regarding synths sounding "generic"...I don't think that criticism means much, especially without qualifying it. There's such an incredible amount of VSTs available with so many presets, it's difficult to recognize anything except a really unique one. At worst particular types of sounds may have strong genre associations, like trance and the supersaw. I think when people call synths "generic" they really mean "bland," which could be because of lack of effects, poor EQing/presence in the mix, or just playing a boring sequence of notes. And from the WIP I heard, this wasn't the case at all. So who knows. Some people just like criticizing shit without basis. (I do it too. ><)

Ah man...

If this track wasn't already taken on the project, I would have instantly asked you to join the sumermario 64 project.

Actually screw it, would you like to join anyway, but on a different track? I think you'd do an awesome job of Koopa's road. If your interested please do let me know.

This WIP is great stuff.

How is it you don't have any remixes on OCR yet? Or do you release them under a different name? :P

Heh, actually the only mix I've finished was that Goldeneye one, and that didn't pass. Hopefully I'll get some up, eventually. :P

Actually screw it, would you like to join anyway, but on a different track? I think you'd do an awesome job of Koopa's road. If your interested please do let me know.

You mean Koopa's theme, right? This WIP here is Koopa's road. ;) I replied in the Mario 64 project thread about it.

Ahh come on this doesn't even compare to your Visions DDR track. I really like this one so far though, keep it up.
Heh, thanks. I think I submitted it (the Visions one) too late to have a chance of winning, but meh.

All others that replied, thanks! I'll def put some more time into it this week, probably end up finishing it pretty soon.

Maybe it's just me, but for the first half-or-so of it, it sounds a lot like something SGX would do.

HERESY. It's awesome...but not SGX awesome.

It is awesome, though. My only problem is that it feels like a cover with original stuff added. It's hard to explain, but it seems like the original melody isn't being reinterpreted so much as it's being redone with contrasting original material all around it. Then again, I may have just heard the original too many times to be able to fully appreciate it.

At any rate, it's something I could drive 120 MPH to, and that's definitely a good thing.