OCR00676 - Chrono Cross "Just Chill"

Ginnsu

Chrono Cross 'Just Chill'

This, to me, is musical excellence. The Pancake Chef has everything so well balanced in this piece it’s like a taste of perfection. Having the drums panned to the left, and the bass balancing to the right creates a very interesting environment for this mix. Excellent work Mr. Pancake Chef.

As I was listening to this it just seemed to get better and better as the song went on. The bass pickup at 1:58 really made this song stick out to me when I was going through all the songs on my playlist and it's gradually made it's way onto one of my cds. Another thing - I really like the ending, the way that the piano echos out was really cool.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome back to ReMix Chef and today's Chrono Cross Battle. Fukui-san?

"Yes Zandar."

We have The Pancake Chef in the kitchen today, and we're seeing a dish called "Just Chill." Is this easily the Chef's best dish since Arab Painting?

"Yes Zandar. The key is the blending of ingrediants to complement the main ingredient, Chrono Cross. Dash of this, smidge of that, pinch of this other thing, and mix till smooth. I love this one, and it's got to be one of my personal favorites from the Clock."

Oh I agree. Fukui-san. The entire piece is absoultely hauntingly, almost painfully evocative. You can toss this into the soundtrack for Chrono Cross and you'd find a place for it. What are the highlights of this dish, Fukui-san?

"Zandar, as you said the entire dish shows balance, style and elegance. At 1:36 with the high synth brings in a snip of the opening theme of the game, Chef style. 1:58 with the bass, drums and melodic bells there for a good 20 seconds is just a staggering example of the subtle elegance of the piece. A sure winner in anyone's musical meal, I give it a 9/10."

And there you have it. We'll be back after this.

• 2 weeks later...

The Pancake shows throws another masterpiece at us with this wonderfull game mix, the first i heard would be La Locura Del Kefka, and let me say that this is by the far, and hands down, the most amazing mix that has hit me in a long time.

A very risky mix of different genres here, but they were extremelly properly timed.

Here's my full song review :

-2:49

The beat starts perfectly timed, a bit roughly but the fade out would've made the song completely different in my oppinion

-2:37

The strings are beautifully rendered and mastered, its as if it was meant to hit the song just at that time, basically this is what makes the song what it is, and keeps the song faithfull to the game

-1:54

The flute/woodwind solo starts backed up some strings, it souds beautifull to mix with the hip-hop beat

-1:22

Another change of instruments, a bit risky if you ask me but gives a bit of a punch

-1:00

Neat bass solo with a chording down piano-ish style, the little bass solo sounds amazing

-0:36

We hear the riff played again, this is for the the ending part with a beat cut at -0:26 , it comes out perfect in the end

-0:16

The ending part where theres only the beat, a hint of the stroll-down piano and the flute to finish it off

This piece is what i call a masterpiece, and it ranks a well deserved 10/10, hands down.

• 3 weeks later...

The Pancake Chef's serving of Chill Wind is definitely hot. Those who have played Chrono Cross at any length will recognize this immediately as the mood music for the Viper Bluffs, which is a suspenseful favorite among players.

The Chef's rendition is just as good. He starts by slowing the tempo down a bit and throwing in a hip-hop beat that I originally thought didn't belong there. However, as I got used to it, I figured that maybe taking Serge for a walk through the 'hood wasn't so bad an idea.

The sample of the original piano track works well blended behind the street beat and somewhat modern-age strings and synths. The exotic wind instrument that follows the original melody the first time through sounds out of place among the hip-hop, which seems intentional and quite good. The synths following the melody for the rest of the peice seem to represent almost an adaptation of the melody to the music around it.

In essence, the music itself tells the story of Serge, beginning in its own world, being thrown into a place it doesn't belong (flute in hip-hop), then adjusting to the world around it.

The only problem with the piece is that it has no climax. No part of the song really stands out above the rest.

Overall, this is a very good piece. The Pancake Chef has served up yet another of my favorites. This is a definite must, even for a non-hip-hop-fan like myself.

And one last thing, the title is a gem.

i fell in love with this track after the first 15 seconds. i love the flute, the piccatto strings,the regular strings, the piano intro, and that weird crystal/electric piano chiming thing that goes on periodically throughout the remix. what a great remix. i believe this falls under the "must download" category.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the title is perfectly chosen; chilling is indeed the feeling you get when listening to this piece! I love the ambient sounds and the way the song is built up. I don't know... this ReMix just *oozes* Chrono Cross ambience, or is that just me?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

this isn't quite mixed as chill as the name implies, but it's pretty nice work regardless, I love the little flute cameo that pops in here and there. Pretty nice stuff. When the melody comes in, it's pretty nice, and there are some super delayed bells that sound pretty good with piano backing.

The lead synth is a little too harsh for the song, and a bit loud, but otherwise it's a pretty decent quasi trip-hop excursion.

Ending was weak, but doesn't kill the song. Pretty good overall.

• 10 months later...

this mix is sick....the production and arrangement is really good, i love the flute that comes in ever now and then, but what is that instrument being used at 1:25? its sick.....never heard anything like it, and if it was a bad sample it sounded pretty good cause it seems to fit in so well. i guess the reason why i liked this piece a lot is because the constant change in instruments used to play different parts. i would recommend this to anyone. 9 out of 10

• 2 years later...

This was definitely one of my old gold mixes back in 2002. When I listened through each and every mix at the time, this was one of the ones I enjoyed that was from a soundtrack I wasn't familiar with.

The mechanical piano that opened things up shows its age, but otherwise I thought this had the chill aspect represented well.

The Pancake Chef is definitely a talent who I wish stuck around to realize his full potential. Hopefully, he's still making music out there somewhere.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00676 - Chrono Cross "Just Chill"