Chiptunes

atmuh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A chiptune thread with no mention of Covox? You've probably run across him on 8bp, but if not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZQxiPf-KIQ

If you're into hipster music, you might want to check out Crystal Castles. They've ripped off samples from Covox and Lo-bat for sure, but they're still a killer band out of Toronto, been around since early 2000s.

• 5 months later...

actually ive been having more fun with using littlegptracker on my psp as ive found it to be a little easier (for some reason in famitracker i could never get it to use different volumes or anything between instruments no matter what i tried)

i guess they arent true chiptunes but theyre close enough and hopefully ill finish a song soon!

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to get started working on C64 chiptunes? I really know absolutely nothing about C64 (I don't even know what one actually looks like), but I'm in freaking love with the way it sounds. I wanna get my hands on that instrument and make my own musicz with it.

I'm pretty sure the only way to create SIDs is to code it in BASIC, which is not gonna be a lot of fun. But yeah, SID music has this... strange richness to it, when well-made.

A lot of MOD music tends to have similar sounds, or are even made to sound like C64 chiptunes (given that the format was for the Amiga, the C64's successor). The songs used for Seiklus come to mind.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to get started working on C64 chiptunes? I really know absolutely nothing about C64 (I don't even know what one actually looks like), but I'm in freaking love with the way it sounds. I wanna get my hands on that instrument and make my own musicz with it.

http://cadaver.homeftp.net/tools/goattrk2.zip

good luck figuring GoatTracker out, because I can't.

you have to know a bit of programming I think, to make heads or tails of it. I can understand the tracking bit and the wavetable bit, with the hex values, but I do not understand how to actually export anything, lol

Huh, a chiptune thread and no mention about Kohina?

http://www.kohina.com/

There's also other radio stations like, SlayRadio, Scenesat, Nectarine, but they concentrate more on specific platforms or remixes only.

For mods, there's http://amp.dascene.net/home.php

Though, that site isnt the most userfriendly when it comes to finding tunes and downloading them...

It's painful finding a site that has a solid list of MOD chiptunes nowadays. The MOD archive holds a lot of good ones in the four basic formats: MOD, S3M, XM, and IT. Other spin-offs or variations probably aren't held on the site (such as MadTracker), but most people use these formats anyway.

The Mod Archive

I haven't been there in awhile myself, so I'm not sure how their content sizes up now. The 'Random Pick' option does help you discover songs you wouldn't find otherwise; it can also make you break a rib laughing at some of the more terrible songs.

Also note that, to make tracked music, you'll need samples, and often, the simplest way to get samples is to open up other MODs in your tracker and rip the samples. Most samples were simply handed around back then (unless the author denied permission to do so), and the practice still seems to hold now to some degree. The tracker I've used, Modplug Tracker, uses a Windows interface, so it's much simpler to learn than the trackers that maintain an Amiga/C64 feel to them.

Modplug Tracker