Thunder Force VI... could it finally happen?

The Coop

On another forum I go to, this was posted...

According to the link, and what I was able to piece together with online translators, Factory Noise & AG (the people who have been releasing the Thunder Force/Technosoft related soundtracks) have been working on an actual TF6 game on the down low, and are releasing it as "Broken Thunder", which isn't related to "Thunder Future" as far as I can tell. It is currently scheduled for an April release.

http://www.toranoana.jp/shop/070214broken/070214broken.html

The link is advertising a "Broken Thunder Preview Disc" and has screenshots of some new ships: FIRE LEO-05VC "Syrex", RVR-03G1 "Bracer", and a mass production model "Syrex".

Finally, there's this video (which I imagine came from the preview disc):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXanRSExkJs

So basically, the folks behind the music of Thunder Force V, Hyper Duel and other Technosoft games, may have very well been working on the spiritual successor to the long lived Thunder Force franchise for a while now. Those of us who have been following the series, know Technosoft was actually working on TF6 when they were swallowed up by a pachinko company in 2000 (thus ceasing to exist). At one point, a CGI movie, thought to be the opening for the game, was leaked onto the Internet. But unfortunately, that movie, and the soundtrack "Broken Thunder: Noise Image Soundtracks Vol. 3" (music that was to be for TF6) were all that came from the development (at least publicly).

A lot of folks have been wanting a new entry in the series. The rumor that Technosoft was planning on making a comeback with an actual release of Thunder Force VI has been floating around on the Net for a good number of years, and this rumor has been fueling that sequel desire for shmup fans. Now here were are in 2007, and in a way, we may just get that very wish.

If anyone who's reasonably fluent in Japanese could give us a better translation of that page, it would be appreciated. It'd be nice to get more clarity regarding what's up.

I do truly hope that someone is going to bring it back. Emulation, rather than a console setup, would suit me right down to the ground. I do fear that such a shooter would be overlooked or downright ignored by the average gamer of today. Which would be a heartbreaker for me. If it DOES make it to market or internet, though. I'm going to have to find some way to acquire it. Now..where did I put that "Learn Japanese" CD....

How very awesome :) I'd love to see such a game again!

I've been obsessing over Ikaruga since last week so I decided to get it off ebay and now I'm totally hooked on it.

I love and hate these types of games.

So this series is pretty popular right? What system were other entries on?

How very awesome :) I'd love to see such a game again!

I've been obsessing over Ikaruga since last week so I decided to get it off ebay and now I'm totally hooked on it.

I love and hate these types of games.

So this series is pretty popular right? What system were other entries on?

TF1- Sharp X1, Sharp MZ-1500, NEC PC-6001 mkII, and NEC PC-8801 mkII

TF1 Construction- Fujitsu FM-7 and NEC PC-9801

TF2- X68000 Sharp, Genesis, Saturn

TF3- Genesis, Saturn

TF AC- Arcade, Saturn

TF4- Genesis, Saturn

TF5- Saturn, PS1

TF3- Genesis, Saturn

TF AC- Arcade, Saturn

TF4- Genesis, Saturn

TF5- Saturn, PS1

Aww so chances are slim of getting it on Wii then ehehehe.

TF3- Genesis, Saturn

TF AC- Arcade, Saturn

TF4- Genesis, Saturn

TF5- Saturn, PS1

Also, Thunder Force III also had a "port" for the SNES, Thunder Spirits. (Not a very accurate port; some of the graphics and sounds were improved, but the choice of level paths was eliminated, and some levels and music were butchered.)

Also, Thunder Force III also had a "port" for the SNES, Thunder Spirits. (Not a very accurate port; some of the graphics and sounds were improved, but the choice of level paths was eliminated, and some levels and music were butchered.)

Actually, that was a port of Thunder Force AC... except they made things look and sound worse than the arcade game (and the Genesis game for that matter), replaced a couple levels over what the arcade game did, and mushed up the controls.

Basically, it wasn't worth mentioning :wink:

Actually, that was a port of Thunder Force AC... except they made things look and sound worse than the arcade game (and the Genesis game for that matter), replaced a couple levels over what the arcade game did, and mushed up the controls.

Basically, it wasn't worth mentioning :wink:

Oh ok, I'd never played AC but I noticed the Genesis similarities.

It's not that bad, definitely at least worth mentioning but not on the same level as the best early 16-bit shooters.

By the way, the page basically describes what's available on the preview disc and doesn't really talk much about the game itself or anything related to Thunder Force.

That's kind of how it read going through Babelfish, but I was hoping someone would clarify it more. Thanks.

Since that was first posted...

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/kaihi/20070219/1171898049

http://b.hatena.ne.jp/entry/4012546

... a poster named ED-057 found those two pages talking a bit about the "game". Anything of importance in there?

Here's a translation of the first one. Looks like good news!!

Broken Thunder (a.k.a. Thunder Force VI) announced for late April!

Before Technosoft closed it doors it released the finale of it's popular Thunder Force series, Thunder Force V. However rumors of the release of Thunder Force VI continued to this day. As Thunder Force V was released, Thunder Force VI was announced for the Dreamcast but Technosoft folded and this came to nothing. However as an added completion bonus for the Dreamcast game SeGaGaGa we were treated to a Thunder Force VI opening movie, which only fed the rumors of the game's release.

After that there was much talk of whether or not the game would actually be released, but months and years passed with no news of a release. However, during that time there was a release of some previously completed material, such as this "Broken Thunder" soundtrack, and as the fervor for the game's release was once again ignited, the game's release was formally announced! Even among the disbelievers, shooting fans were completely overjoyed!

By the way, by using the title "Broken Thunder" there will be no copyright problems with the Thunder Force name, so it can't be helped that the game will be called "Broken Thunder". However, the content of the game is a direct continuation of Thunder Force V, so feel free to call it Thunder Force VI if you want!

This time the developers Factory Noise & AG are releasing the game, with either of them working on the game and soundtrack. But get this: it looks like these developers are made of the original Technosoft staff that worked on the Thunder Force series! So this new addition to the series has it's full pedigree! There were rumors that there would be cutbacks in the soundtrack department but things are looking good! The fans can't wait.

However, one point of concern remains as to the platform. There are hopes for a PS2 or Dreamcast release, but due to the monopoly on shooters it might end up on PC.

But I say too much! Due to this great announcement of the game we shouldn't worry about which platform it's released for, but just give a big round of applause to Factory Noise & AG for coming through. I'll definitely buy it! I hope they compromise nothing and release a perfect game. I can't wait until April!

So it looks like Thunder Force VI is coming out, and it's coming out soon! The second link confirms this as well. I bet you're happy, Coop!

Here's a translation of the first one. Looks like good news!!

Broken Thunder (a.k.a. Thunder Force VI) announced for late April!

Before Technosoft closed it doors it released the finale of it's popular Thunder Force series, Thunder Force V. However rumors of the release of Thunder Force VI continued to this day. As Thunder Force V was released, Thunder Force VI was announced for the Dreamcast but Technosoft folded and this came to nothing. However as an added completion bonus for the Dreamcast game SeGaGaGa we were treated to a Thunder Force VI opening movie, which only fed the rumors of the game's release.

After that there was much talk of whether or not the game would actually be released, but months and years passed with no news of a release. However, during that time there was a release of some previously completed material, such as this "Broken Thunder" soundtrack, and as the fervor for the game's release was once again ignited, the game's release was formally announced! Even among the disbelievers, shooting fans were completely overjoyed!

By the way, by using the title "Broken Thunder" there will be no copyright problems with the Thunder Force name, so it can't be helped that the game will be called "Broken Thunder". However, the content of the game is a direct continuation of Thunder Force V, so feel free to call it Thunder Force VI if you want!

This time the developers Factory Noise & AG are releasing the game, with either of them working on the game and soundtrack. But get this: it looks like these developers are made of the original Technosoft staff that worked on the Thunder Force series! So this new addition to the series has it's full pedigree! There were rumors that there would be cutbacks in the soundtrack department but things are looking good! The fans can't wait.

However, one point of concern remains as to the platform. There are hopes for a PS2 or Dreamcast release, but due to the monopoly on shooters it might end up on PC.

But I say too much! Due to this great announcement of the game we shouldn't worry about which platform it's released for, but just give a big round of applause to Factory Noise & AG for coming through. I'll definitely buy it! I hope they compromise nothing and release a perfect game. I can't wait until April!

So it looks like Thunder Force VI is coming out, and it's coming out soon! The second link confirms this as well. I bet you're happy, Coop!

If this turns out to be for real and not some cruel joke, you bet your ass I am :lol:

Thanks for the translation, Evilhead.

http://www.segagagadomain.com/welcome-news.htm

More news. The above site got a hold of the preview disc, and put up a lot of stuff from it. This includes three MP3s, a larger version of the movie, some screen grabs from that movie, and a bunch of CGI images.

Just click the "here" at the top of the page.

Armoured Priest- This requires more than just playing other shmups. Ten Nintendo fanboys must be sacrificed, along with their systems.

• 4 weeks later...