OCR00677 - Jackal "Mounted-Machine Gun Funk"

Ginnsu

Jackal 'Mounted-Machine Gun Funk'

This is a great mix that pours on the energy as it moves along, and doesn't slow down until the very end. I love those hallow sounding 404’s that it starts off with, and I wish there was more of that in this mix. Still Beatdrop keeps things interesting with the drums and string work in this piece. The gun samples are very neatly arranged so as to represent chaos but still flow as if they are an integral part of the song. Great work Beatdrop, keep it up.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of info about this remix:

I originally created this track a LONG LONG time ago (in a galaxy far away :P), but I never submitted it because I still had other ones to submit first. However, upon listening to it again more recently, I thought it needed a revamp because it was too boring. So I changed some sounds (namely the strings, they're much better now) and tweaked the plangy (yes, it's now a word) lead, as well as adding the big section with sound FX and fixing the ending. Total overhaul. I did the same thing with my Super Metroid Brinstar remix. Much improvement over it's last version. I also plan on doing this with my Sonic 3 Angel Island remix :) Who knows, maybe we'll even see an X-Buster Mk. 18? :D

• 1 month later...

Jackal 'Mounted-Machine Gun Funk'

Not bad, an average song with some ups and downs. I liked the beggining but I din't particualrly like 2:15-2:30 because it didn't really blend in well with the mix. Otherwise a cool mix, try it! 8)

toilet.jpg

Funny pic Of the Day / \

_________________ |

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Jesus, this remix needs more praise! It's a Jackal remix!! Awesome stuff here, Beatdrop. This mix is powerful and never strays too far from the original. Good variety also! I recorded this mix (with others) on a MiniDisc; I always love it when I'm driving in the car and this song starts playing. The energy is intense. Nice mix of techno and psuedo-metal. Highly reccomended. :)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Yeah, I wasn't even that familiar with the Jackal original, despite playing this mix on VG Frequency way back in the day before my first interview with Beatdrop. Listening to the original, you really appreciate the upgrade and the additional energy BD added to the picture. It's honestly a shame that the soundtrack gets no love from anyone else. Very enjoyable stuff here that, IMO, doesn't even quite sound like Dain's typical sound.

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

When I saw the game I assumed it was the rocking stage 1 track, but I think this one is from a little later on in the game. I do recognize the source though, which is pretty sweet for it being such an old game.

This mix does have a good deal of pep, and I like the subtle processing on some of the synths. Some pretty good interpretation with breakdowns and buildups, and overall a pretty decent mix.

• 1 year later...

This sounds familiar, despite having never played the game. Odd.

This mix has some odd stuff going on, but never in a bad way. I'm impressed how things kept moving, and the track never lost intensity. I'm not crazy about the 'war sounds', but I've always found that sort of stuff to be gimmicky. No problem with the fade out, it works nicely here.

Good work.

• 1 year later...

I remember listening to this mix back in 2002 - I liked listening to it because it is a fitting take on the original.

As Larry said, this isn't one of Dain's typical works on the site. I just wish the samples held better, as here's a perfect example of a mix that is in line with the original and its setting and developing it some. The arrangement itself is mostly conservative, but the elements that do differ do help develop this further.

Also if only this didn't have a fadeout ending...

• 2 weeks later...

A surprising sound coming from Beatdrop, but it still drops many a beat, so perhaps its not that surprising.

No matter the departure in sound, this still lives up to a strong reputation. The intensity is there, and for the most part things sound satisfying. I'm not totally sold on the samples; they've seen better days, but haven't we all?

I definately enjoy mixes like this: no-nonsense, all torque. That coupled with the fact that the source tune clearly rocks, make this an underappreciated morsel of awesomeness that, while not sounding like the normal Beatdrop mix, exhibits all the qualities you'd come to expect from him.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00677 - Jackal "Mounted-Machine Gun Funk"