OCR01559 - Final Fantasy VIII "Fisherman's Revelation"

djpretzel

Ok, I generally find this mix to be really quite well done. Hard to find a proper mix of Fisherman's Horizon. My only beef here is less about the technical arrangement, and more about sample choice. Assuming it's a sample that is. The sound in question is the very first bit of piano we have. For me, it's a bit loud when you guys are using that riff. I also think it sounds a bit tin....ish. Although I'm not more than a dabbler in mixing, I think a richer sound would have flown a little nicer. As it is, I find it a bit jarring and distracting. But I think part of this is just personal opinion as it's only on that riff that I have a problem with it. It flows nicely with the rest of the song. Having bladiator on pianos really made this work I think. So damn complex with so many layers going at once. This is really the kind of thing I can get into.

You guys must be smoking something. The original is a beautiful track, and made it to the official FFVIII rearrangement album as a breath-taking orchestrated piece.

This mix is a great take on it, much more daring and jazzy. The slight touches of dissonance and variations in rhythm give it a lot of interest - the original is almost syrupy sweet and modestly paced, while this has some edge. Really dig the changeup and more energetic drums at 1:20, reminds me strongly of acoustic indie/folk rock there.

Thanks for this - I love the original, and this is a nicely creative interpretation of it.

I like it from every angle. I can't find anywhere in the track where it is overbearing to the ears. It is nice and smooth and the ending was wonderful. This track will definitely have a home on my mp3 player.

Another 30 seconds worth would have been great.

Excellent work.

Wanna add something else. The transition at 1:38 from the main theme to the...well, whatever it is...FF Music, generally being a looping set of music doesn't exactly have choruses or refrains and whatnot...but either way, the 1:38 mark and other spots like it really fit well.

Tepid, I still have a copy of your original with the distortion on the guitar VG Mix, Fisherman's Horizon, and in my opinion, it is far better than this version (I'm sorry to say). This version sounds far too plain, and that little bit in the background that starts 1:00 is really annoying.

The distortion was the high point in the original mix for me, and by taking that out, it really made it sound too plain. I think that you should have kept it in, as you still could have managed it with the piano.

I love the original, and this is an amazing interpretation. My one beef is that overall it feels like its been rushed through. Perhaps it's just the change in tempo compared to the original, but I think it would have sounded better if it were a tad slower.

Still, I'm loving this mix, it's been on repeat for at least 20 minutes now.

I like both versions of this mix for different reasons. The VGmix one was rough but had lots of soul. This one has nicer samples and cleaner production, but the feeling is a little different. The drums feel somewhat mechanical to me, but I still enjoy them being there.

The two of you work well together and I'm glad to see a version of this idea up!

Nice work overall guys :). Jredd-

You guys must be smoking something. The original is a beautiful track, and made it to the official FFVIII rearrangement album as a breath-taking orchestrated piece.

I agree, great source track and the rearrangement that Leah speaks of is awesome - FFVIII had some good stuff in it. I wish there were more remixes out for this game, but the sound track is fairly mellow overall and probably harder to work with.

This remix was great. I enjoyed the sound quality and production very much. I was, however, hoping to hear a bit more variation from the original source - you know, a bit more spice to get things exciting :). Great stuff either way, though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Have to say this is a brilliant piece of work :-P

The Guitar/Piano works very well and gives it a very casual laid back feel.

The whole composition gives the impression of being by the seaside on a glorious summer day, which I'm guessing was the whole point...

A 5 out of 5 remix in my opinion :)

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01559 - Final Fantasy VIII "Fisherman's Revelation"