WiP: Final Fantasy 9 - Tripsen's Magical Castle

anosou

Yo!

Here's an IDM style remix of the Final Fantasy 9 main theme, also used in the song Ipsen's Castle. I discovered the joy of resampling a piece of my own remix to put in my own remix as a loop and edit.

UPDATE: I'm feeling that this song is hard to make any longer than this, and doesn't have to be any longer. I added an ending I thought broke the style of the mix in a nice sort-of-way. I also did some levelchecking and mastering.

Sicne my last submission actually was accepted I'm thinking of subbing this as soon as possible! so PLEASE tell me your real opinions regarding the remix! If it's something you think should be changed then (and only then) say so! :D

http://anothersoundscape.googlepages.com/LINKREMOVEDPAL

BTW IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO #OCRWIP , GO THERE AND GET REVIEWS! I'M THERE ALMOST EVERYDAY!

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thank you // Anso

Hey Anso, this is pretty cool. Love all the different sounds and effects. Those drums are crazy. The harder beat around 1:30 = kickass.

One thing I think could be improved is the way the synths playing melodies don't fit so well in the mix. You've got these really processed drums and SFX up front, a strong bass fairly close, and then the other synths all kind of stranded near the back sounding distant and tacked-on. You could integrate those better and give the song some drive.

I don't know the FFIX OST very well so no comments on the arrangement, but it should probably be a little more cohesive melodically if you're going to submit to the site.

Keep at it, good ideas here!

Yeah this is some crazy shite. Good inventive beats all around. The lead at 1:13 could use a lil work, it sounds lo-fi to me. If your goin for lo-fi then its cool.

Maybe in some of the breakdown sections get another instrument to play off of the lead. The song could use some more harmony fillers in places. That bell sound (:27) you got behind everything is friggin sweet. Give that instrument a solo section it sounds beautiful in this context.

Also just maybe, I had an idea for some of the rythmic elements. Take the audio signal for some of the harmonies/bass/melody and split it. Take one of the signals and route it into a Scream4. Then take cv out cable on the back of the scream4 and plug into the pitch for parts of the rythms. Set the knob to 127, and whammo you got parts of your crazy rythms the exact pitch as whatever harmony/bass/melody you run through the scream4. Could make for some really cool sections maybe...

Yeah it's great! Already talked a bit (on that note; get your ass back on IRC!) but I came to think of another thing I wish to add - it definitely sounds like something "you" made (as in, not only threw together parts but also made the parts) which is awesome. Lots of work on the sound, unique experience. Need an update!

Def liking the update. Might I ask what that lil bell instrument is your using in Reason? Congrats on getting a song excepted, which one is it? I should pop in #ocrwip sometime next week as i got some time...finally. Liking the breakdown section with the bell instrument.

A big thing they might get you on is structure. I really think the ending is the best part of the song. I heard that and went wow what a friggin melody.:dstrbd: I almost think the ending should actually be the beggining.

2:50 and is so awesome! Have more of that developed melody throughout the song please. The section at 1:10 could def use some of that feeling you got goin in the outtro. The ending had the 'it' factor, as in I want to immediatly go back and listen to 'it' again.

Another idea maybe throw a lil unison on the bass in places and see what happens.

The new mastering levels def sound good. Everything sounds a lil clearer. Those are my opinions, I'm dead serious about the ending, it kicks ass.