Liontamer

Don't that be soundin' like fun??? - LT

Contact Info

* Remixer name: Another Soundscape

* E-mail: anothersoundscape@gmail.com

ReMix Info

* Game remixed: Final Fantasy 7

* Song remixed: Racing Chocobos - Place Your Bets

* Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

This ReMix was done for the FF7 ReMix Compo on a two days notice using only Reason 3.0. After that zircon contacted me about joining the FF7 project. I finished the remix and was very happy with it. To bad I can't submit it I thought since I didn't realize you could submit project ReMixes. Then zircon told me and here I am. :)

I started it as a d'n'b "on drugs" kinda song but the day after I felt that I needed something more since I wasn't that good at electronic music to begin with. Thus the ethinc part was born. My pride and joy. And even more "on drugs". Actually that's pretty much what I wanted to say. This is a remix of an annoying theme on drugs. Admit you thought that chocobo jockey with the black hat, Joe was kinda strange. Now you know he's really a dealer! Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 311 "Racing Chocobos - Place Your Bets!"

Holy shit! What is your name? Where do you come from? All I remember from judging your previous stuff, Mattias, is that it definitely wasn't at this level. The FF8 one was only good on the arrangement, the FF5 one was promising overall, but the Little Samson one was a lot messier. Here, you really upped your game.

The sounds are somewhat basic, but it's the sophisticated textures and constantly evolving groove that make it sound like a quirky piece of goodness. Way to hold it down. 3:56-3:58 has some glitchy crud at the end that would need to be fixed, but otherwise, nice work.

I don't even like FF7's soundtrack that much, to be honest, even though the source tune is alright. But this kicks some ass on the arrangement side, giving much more variation and substance to the original, plus the production is a capable piece of work. From a comparative standpoint with the source, I appreciate the skill here immensely. Here's hoping you stay consistent.

YES

As with Daragen's FF7 sub "Collision", WARNING: BIAS!!! But nah, in all seriousness, this is an obvious YES;

* Very creative instrumentation and sound design. There's automatic, changeups, and a total shift in the sound at the last part of the song.

* Good amount of variation on the source tune, copious amounts of original material.

* Cohesive production + mastering.

* Phat breaks

I heard the first version of this months ago. I spent weeks giving AnotherSoundscape some tips on improving it and he did a GREAT job of fixing basically every problem I had. This is the result.

The amount of time spent racing chocobos in FF7 means I'm very familiar with the source, and it's one of the better sounding pieces from the FF7 soundtrack (I mean that in the actual way it sounds. Even though FF7 had a lot of great tunes, the samples used on the soundtrack were average at best, this is one of the tracks that actually sounded good with the samples.)

Anyway, on to the remix. Upbeat, light-hearted remix. Dysfunctional at times, overbearing in the treble at other times.

When we get to the "ethnic" part, just the slightest bit of feedback on that sitar would've gone a long way to making it flow with the mix more fluently, right now it sounds tacked over the top and clashes with the chill of the mix for me.

Still, great mix. People will enjoy it, kudos to you mate.

YES

Sorry, I'm gonna have to bust out the big NO on this one because the chocobo theme is lame, and people shouldn't bother remixing it.

and by all that, of course, I mean YES.

This is in fact really awesome. Some highlights for me were:

-the opening gated synth

-the breaks

-the "golden" chimes

-the crazy gating at 1:22

-the transition at 2:14 and the general vibe thereafter

-the sitar and ethnic flute

-overall interpertation of the source

My only criticisms would be

-there could have been a little more punch/kick in the drums for the first couple minutes of the track, especially in the bass drum.

-I don't think the fadeout was used to it's fullest potential. I don't mind fadeouts, as long as their used well. Were it my track, I would have extended the outro by about 10 more seconds at least.

Anyway, minor quirks in light of the tracks highlights. You're go for launch, Mr. Scape. :)